Remote starter for Avalanche

I am thinking of getting a remote starter for my new Avalanche. Most places want to sell me a security system but the Avalanche already has one built in except for the tail gate. One place said they could add remote start to my GM key fob for about ? bucks, but that seems a bit high without some type of extra security in the package. The Avalanche comes with OnStar so I'm not sure if a security system buys me very much.

What do you guys think? The remote start would be very nice in the winter.

I've installed several remote starters and used them as well, they are nice, but a word of caution. any security system makes the install more complicated and especially the newer factory systems. be sure you get a reputable installer and be sure he knows up front that your vehicle has that system to avoid problems later

• 2 years later...

I used to install autocommand starters but soon found out that the number of comebacks with problems related to the starter itself outnumbered my satisfied customers....

I use DEI now and there is a remote start add-on from GM AC DELCO that is made by DEI I am unsure of the price however

I installled a Bulldog over two years ago. Overall, it's been relaible, but it was my first crack at doing anything electrical on something as complex as my truck. Next time, I think I'd have a pro do it. It took me the better part of a weekend to install and my fog lights haven't worked since.... :rolleyes:

Try searching the archives. It was sometime around Oct 2001.

I used to install autocommand starters but soon found out that the number of comebacks with problems related to the starter itself outnumbered my satisfied customers....

I use DEI now and there is a remote start add-on from GM AC DELCO that is made by DEI I am unsure of the price however

Mike, is this the unit you are talking about?

http://www.autotechs.com/items/item499.htm

Its only $90?? Do you know if it integrates with your OEM fob? I like the idea of holding down one of the buttons on the original fob instead of toting around another one.

Mike, is this the unit you are talking about?

http://www.autotechs.com/items/item499.htm

Its only $90?? Do you know if it integrates with your OEM fob? I like the idea of holding down one of the buttons on the original fob instead of toting around another one.

that's the one it works with the factory remote and above all is a QUALITY unit.....

• 3 weeks later...

I just put in 2 remote starters last weekend in my '03 Sierra Denali and an '03 Silverado. Here's the deal: all remote starters install pretty much the same-your tapping into the same ignition wires. Most remote starters have an input that will let you activate them with your factory fob, by locking or unlocking your doors a certain number of times. Late model GM trucks have PassLock II security that needs to be defeated to allow the trucks to start. Some of these bypass modules are as simple to install as tapping into +12 const, grnd, OBD II wire and output back to remote start. Base models still have door locks that aren't control by the databus. This makes the install where you want to use your factory fob easier. There are also modules out there that will defeat the passlock II and provide the door unlock trigger that you need on models that have door locks controlled by the databus. Worse case, as in this is what I did last weekend, you'll have to tap into the door lock by taking the driver door panel off and tapping into the door lock harness. The hardest part was fishing the wire into the door from the cab. I believe that DEI makes the Rattler 369D which is marketed as a self install remote start kit. Bulldog also makes a number of self install remote starters. You can easily buy one of these off of Ebay for $30-$40. The bypass modules start around $15 and go up to $50 depending on brand and how many features you want. Overall, I was pretty suprised to see how easy a remote starter was to install. This is not to say that I haven't seen post from guys who messed up the install and ruined a tranny because they didn't hook up and ignition wire. When I shopped the install to some of the local shops here it was about $180 for the remote start installed-granted this was for what I consider to be better name brand equipment than Bulldog. I spent about $50 each on parts to do the 2 I installed. There is a definate potential to damage your truck if you don't know what you're doing-more so than if your just putting in a stereo. Good Luck!

Archived