Fuel Pressure Regulator 99 Silverado

Anyone having problems with their Fuel Pressure Regulators on a 99 Silverado? I was told by a mechanic that if fuel is inside, that its bad and needs to be replaced. Just looking for some input before I spend 60 bucks (I was quoted somewhere around 50 - 60) for this little what looks like simplistic piece. When I go to start my truck, after its been sitting awhile, every 3 or 4 times of starting I have to pump the hell of out of it to get it started. The other times, once it fires, it idles at like 500 rpm and I have to give it some gas to keep it running. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new to the gearhead world so I wouldnt exactly call myself a master mechanic :jester:

If you pull the line of at the regulator and smell gas real bad or see gas thr regulator is deffinately bad. Had to replace one on my old 99 before trading. I pulled the line off and gas poured out the reg. Be sure you get the old oring out before installing the new reg.

Thanks for the info. I pulled the line off and gas poured out. A mechanic friend told me it was bad so I guess I will have to replace it. Any difficulties when you switched it out? I see theres a metal clip type thing that seems to be holding it in place. I didn't want to start prying on it or anything until I found out for sure.

Thanks for all the help. Got one for no charge from a mechanic friend and put it in. I thought perhaps it might have been under pressure and wasn't sure if it would be wise to remove it without knowing for sure. Trucks running good so far. Hopefully this cures the problem.

Where is the pressure regulator.  Mine might be bad I have simular problem intermitinly

It's in the middle of the fuel rail, on the intake manifold, on the driver's side, held in by a clip, with a vacuum line attached to the top of it. Pull that line and check for fuel. :puke:

Archived