clunk in steering

Unfortunately, I can't get the pictures, but there should be a guide somewhere.

Isn't your truck still under warranty? How many miles on the odometer?

Well, if you've got 37k, here's the bulletin:

Steering - Underhood Clunk Felt in Steering Wheel

Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003C

Date: October 20, 2003

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

Models:

2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2004 GMC Sierra

2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add additional procedures and time for vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals and to add additional models and years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003B (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction

Important: DO NOT REPLACE THE FOLLOWING INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT P/Ns:

^ 26085548

^ 26049343

^ 26083324

^ 26088325

^ 15772436

^ 26078079

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419. Follow the service procedure below.

1. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.

2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position.

3. Install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

4. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.

^ Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

^ Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

^ Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so that the intermediate shaft can be removed.

5. From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

6. From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.

7. Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

^ From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.

^ From under the hood, slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

^ From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

8. Remove the spacer clip from the end of the intermediate shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers.

9. Fully extend the shaft by pulling the two shafts apart.

10. Apply the syringe of grease supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419, into the open end of the shaft. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the shaft and dispense the full content of the syringe.

11. Insert the plug supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit into the open end of the shaft and finger tighten the wing nut.

12. Place the plugged end of the shaft on a hard surface and apply pressure to collapse the shaft and dissipate the grease through the shaft.

13. Remove the plug from the shaft and fully extend the shaft.

14. Inspect the shaft for a minimum of 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease on the shaft splines.

15. Repeat steps 11-14 if less than 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease is on shaft splines.

16. Clean the excess grease off of the shaft splines and around the shaft opening.

17. Carefully spread apart the spacer clip with a pair of pliers.

18. Reinstall the spacer clip into the open end of the shaft.

19. Align the spacer clip with the stakes in the shaft.

20. Reinstall the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

21. Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

22. Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 47 N.m (35 lb ft).

23. Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 50 N.m (37 lb ft).

24. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.

^ Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead. Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the nuts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).

^ Reposition the carpet back into place.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Chevygurl,

There is a new TSB that does replace the shaft. You may want this one done as it is more permanent than the grease method that usually has to be redone.

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt In Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003E - (Jul 20, 2004)

Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

with Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

This bulletin is being revised to include the replacement of the intermediate shaft . Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003D (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Shaft, Upper Intermediate Shaft

Use on all 1500 Series trucks:

Except Escalades

Except Denalis

Except Avalanches

Shaft, Upper Intermediate Shaft

Use on all 2500 and 3500 Series Trucks and

Escalades

Denalis

Avalanches

H2

There is a permanent fix for this. The grease isn't a permanent fix, the clunking sound will come back if you only have it greased.

I brought my 02 in under warrenty, and they replaced my intermediate steering shaft with a different one. Clunk is gone, and hasn't returned. Good thing because I'm now out of warranty.

I just got back from getting mine fixed. They said that there was a Kit for it and they put that in. Its gone now, and they said it shouldnt return. There were 2 others doing the exact same thing when i was in there, I guess its pretty common.

I have a "knock" that I can feel in my steering and I'm guessing that this is the problem. I took it once and the dealer said they could not feel it, all I say is that there hands / arms must be numb :jester: . For the people with this problem and had it fixed, was there any time that you could feel it more than other? I can really tell that something is wrong when I am turning to the right (in a curve for instance with bumpy pavement).

Thanks for the help,

Stephen

I have a "knock" that I can feel in my steering and I'm guessing that this is the problem. I took it once and the dealer said they could not feel it, all I say is that there hands / arms must be numb :jester: . For the people with this problem and had it fixed, was there any time that you could feel it more than other? I can really tell that something is wrong when I am turning to the right (in a curve for instance with bumpy pavement).

Thanks for the help,

Stephen

Write down, or print out the TSB numbers posted above, and take it back to them with this in hand.

As long as you are still under warranty, they will fix it.

If they wont, go to a different dealer (if it's possible) and file a complaint with GM about it.

Cool, a new shaft. I wonder how much dough it goes for. I had mine replaced under warranty in 2000 with what was supposedly a revised shaft. Two years later clunk was back. I did the grease kit in Oct 02, so far, so good. I guess when it comes back I'll just spring for the new shaft...

I wonder if the new shaft will last or just end up clunkin like all the other fixes....only time (and drivin) will tell. :jester:

Oh there will not be a problem getting the truck fixed.... the dealer and I had it out and I think he will be more than happy to do anything he can do to help me :puke: . The bulletin information is already printed out... this is the second time that I have printed out service bulletins and carried to a dealer to fix vehicle problems. Brand specific internet forums ROCK!!!!!

I do that too. I visit the dieselplace site and it has a lot of info on TSBs etc from GM Techs. I figure if I have the printout in hand it is harder for them to say they don't know about it. Plus if they balk too much call GM Customer service they have "a bit of pull" too.

I'd ask them to define their kit a little better. If they just lubed it the clunk will be back. You need the replacement shaft that is mentioned in the TSB I posted for the permanent fix.

I guess I sounded like a stupid dumbass that didnt check to see if they were fixing it right. They showed me the kit before they put it in. They did replace it like they were supposed to. They said it such a big problem they keep them on hand. So anyone else that goes to the dealer, they shouldnt give you any trouble at all.

Archived