What kind of spark plugs?

I replaced my stockers at 47K miles with Champion Copper Plus. After about 15K miles with them, I've noticed a 1+ mpg drop in fuel mileage, but I'm not sure whether it's attributable to the plugs or what.

I'm going to replace my plugs and wires this month with MSD super conductors and NGK tr55 plugs and see how that combo works.

I have a platinum splitfires, the ones with 4 prongs if i remember right (very pricey). I did notice a drop in MPG, have no idea if that is what it's from or not though. i'm assuming it is because no other mods were present at the time. i'm planning on changing wires and plugs soon too, we'll see if that mpg gets any boost...

I have a platinum splitfires, the ones with 4 prongs if i remember right (very pricey). I did notice a drop in MPG, have no idea if that is what it's from or not though. i'm assuming it is because no other mods were present at the time. i'm planning on changing wires and plugs soon too, we'll see if that mpg gets any boost...

With spark plugs I think they have more to do with MPG than we realize. I have a friend with a 94' Ragner with TWO spark plugs per cylinder. This is why his 4 cyl gets worse gas mileage than my 4.3L V6 (well about the same really). Anytime you have more spark its gonna change the combustion in the cylinders, therefore changing your MPG. This is just a theory of course.

When changing spark plugs I always felt it was best to stay with Delco plugs. I've used them in my truck for years, and even my father just threw a set of Delco plugs in his 01' Z28. I have heard great thigns about MSD wires though.

I've never noticed any difference with different brands of spark plugs EXCEPT for my Jeeps. If you put anything other then Champion plugs in them it just never felt like it was running right. I have AC/Delco plugs in my Silverado, and seeing how the price of them isn't that bad, I'll most likely replace them with the same kind of plug in another 2000 miles.

jaslo, i would stay with the ac plugs for your truck.i seen to many problems over years from different plugs and heat ranges etc. i just looked at mine at 53,000 miles 1998 k1500.they were fine.so, i left them in.i really thought they would be bad but all were fine. so, stay with AC ,take care :cheers:

I changed mine in my '97 at 100,000 miles. The old plugs looked really good. I replaced them with the stock AC Delco plugs. I didn't notice a big difference. I figured that if it didn't make a big difference that maybe the old plugs weren't that bad after 100,000 miles. If the originals can make it 100,000 miles, it's kind of hard to beat that. Now, my truck is completely stock, no high performance here. If high performance is what your looking for, you might try something else. Hope this helps.

I use autolite.....I change them out quite a bit, if I am gonna go on long drives....I always notice a differance in MPG...and at 99 cents a piece, and 30 minutes of work, it worth my while. Plus it's a good reason to drink beer in the garage.

I just ordered the NGKs & Taylor wires recommended in so many post on this site. My truck has 167,000 miles and it looks like the original OEM wires. The plugs need changing but I'm not sure if they are original or not. The stock OEM Delcos are about $6 each but considering the milage that people are getting out of them they are probably worth it. The NGKs I bought were $2.25 each and I wouldn't expect to get the same milage from them.

I don't know if this applies to any other model years, but on my 2000 5.3, the Delco wires come in two version because the coils were apparently revised during the model run.

There is one set for coils that have the P/N 12558693 (first design) and another set for coils with P/N 19005218 (second design).

The aftermarket wires I looked at don't distinguish between these two coils. I don't know what the difference is, and the Delco's aren't all that expensive (about $50) so I'm going with them once I figure out which coils I have.

Hopefully, all 8 coils are the same.

I would guess that 99's probably use the first design, and 2001's probably use the second design.

FWIW...

More detail:

(This is for 2000 model year 5.3 liter)

The "old design" wires (P/N 88894394/748HH) for coils with P/N 12558693 are 10.5" long.

The "new design" wires (P/N 88892762/748GG) for coils with P/N 19005218 are 9.2" long.

Both are listed as 7mm dia. wires.

(this is from www.rockauto.com)

I guess the aftermarket manufacturers just go with the longer wires for all years 99 and up, I have MSD 8.5's, and they're slightly longer than the factory wires. I turned the boots that connect to coils slightly counter-clockwise and they clear the headers/sterring/etc. no prob. I kept the originals just in case.

When I removed the Delco platinums to install the Denso Irridiums, they were fine, (only 37.5 k on them), except that the gaps were inconsistent. Factory spec is .060, and they ranged from .045 to .065. The Denso's are expensive as poop, but I was a Toyota tech for a long time and know they make a good plug. I gapped em at .055 and everythings running nicely.

I honestly did't feel any difference after changing the plugs and wires, but then again, the stuff I took out was in good shape and could've stayed on there, but you know how it is...you gotta mess with something right? Hey, if anything else, it looks cool. :cheers:

Archived