Largest Tire on Stock 04 Z71

What's the largest tire you can put on an 04 Sierra EC Z71 w/ stock suspension. I currently have the Dueler AT 265/70/17 on there and want to swap on BFG MT's 285/70/17's. Will this fit ok on the truck and could I go up to 305/70 on this truck w/o lift?

Also, is my factory wheel a 17x8 or 17x7, I've heard different things from different companies.

Well, acording to BFGTire's PDF on the MT they claim 33.0" overall diameter, and it's 11.50 on an 8.5 wheel. The wheel range is from 7.5-9.0 so if I'm a 7.5" wheel then it should fit on there fine. All I don't know is the fitment on the truck. I really don't want to have to get 16x8 wheels and go with a lower aspect ratio.

The tire calculators give me about a 32.7" tire when I give it the 285/70/17 size.

Has anyone ever put these on their truck before in a stock configuration?

I've seen a size chart that said 285/75/16 would fit a stock susp truck of this year and that's about 32.8 on the calc.

I just replaced the 265/75 16 Bridgestone Duelers that came on my truck to 285/75 16 Dayton Timberline A/T's and they look and fit fine however I don't believe I could go any larger without clearance issues when turning. I know you have 17" rims but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Ok, well the math on 285/75/16 and 285/70/17 looks to be about the same height and width. I've got:

285/70/17 : W=11.22, H=32.71, SW=7.85

285/75/16 : W=11.22, H=32.83, SW=8.42

so if you put on 285/75/16 on the same type truck with stock susp, then mine should be fine. Only diff should be, you'll have more side wall than I will.

Oh well, I'll try and see if it fits, if not, then I'll get a small lift on the truck and put them on anyways. I'm not wanting to go much over a 4" lift in the future anyways.

Don't forget that the larger tire you put on will make the truck seem to have less and less power for off roading and towing. UNLESS you compensate with a gear change. On one of my past truck I went from 265/70/16 to 285/75/16 and the truck was a complete disapointment offroading unless I used low range all the time. Just my look at the problem mostly forgotten when tire size is changed.

MTR'S are a good tire for the dirt but if all your doing is pavement for the larger percent of driving, it's going to hurt your feelings to watch the fast rate that the rear tires are going to wear, due to the softer compound of rubber. Buddy of mine had them on a superduty diesel and a jeep was disappointed with the tire life on both vehicles.The best tire if offroading lots is and will always be a SUPER SWAMPER SSR. Can't beat the performance and wear is always been less aggresive on the trucks I've had them on.

cool.. thanks for all the input. I'll keep it in mind. :thumbs:

This is my first jump in to the 4x4 world. I've had Steeda GT Stangs and T/A's before and was a speed junkie... Now I'm going to be able to have the most exhilerating 3MPH of my life looking down at the ground :seeya:

With what I've seen and experienced, 285/70/R17 tires will be the max you can fit on an '04 Z-71 with 17s on it. You still may have to trim the LH/RH lower corners of your air dam, and/or part of of the LH inner wheel housing where the left front tire might rub. Nothing really serious, just minor "plastic" trimming.

If you're gonna be driving primarily on the highway, but want the look and off-road performance of Mud-Terrain Tires, I'd definitely recommend Goodyear wrangler MTRs. I had a set of these in 305/70/R16, and these tires wore really excellent on the road and were great for offroad. I had about 25K miles and 1/2 tread life on them when I traded in my old truck...

Archived