Photo
- - - - -

Chevys 454 vs. Fords 460

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 CHEVY TRUCKS

CHEVY TRUCKS

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

I gotta get this out, to some the 454 is a joke while to Furd guys. Was browsing through some Ford websites and happen to come upon a arguement between which is better a Big Block Chevy 454 vs. Furds 460 now this is coming from a Fordtruck website, alot of kids there say the 454 cant handle towing and whatever comes out of there mouth's, personally i think the 454 is a great torque motor and good hauling, i use to own a 86 Chevy 1 ton Crew Cab 4 speed manual and that truck hauled major butt and a buddy of mine still owns a double cab 79 Ford with a 460 which he says is a good motor but smokes like heck.

I dont understand what's the deal with Ford guys i mean if you fellas every happen to check there websites either there mocking and bashing our Duramax Diesel engine our saying that they once own a Chevy and it blew up and my guess is there's two reasons to this bashing 1). they want to get notice and not get bashed for bringing up the name (Chevy) so they make a front of it by making up these BS stories how they use to own a chevy. 2). they know the Duramax is king of torque and know the baby powerjoke cant compete so they come up with these names like Duracrap or whatever and theres this one guy there some Ironman saying that the Duramax is a Jap motor, i wonder if know's that there trannys are made by Japs also, i think these Furd kids got this Chevy vs. Ford in there Heads to much. :thumbs:

#2 MCourson

MCourson

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,878 posts
  • Name:Marshall
  • Drives:2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

They feel that they have to justify their reasoning for buying what they bought.

gm.jpg
05 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY Duramax/Allison CCSB 4x4.
-5" MagnaFlow turbo-back (Listen)
94 C1500 5.0L 231,000 miles
53 IH McCormick Farmall Super A

#3 R Dogg 56

R Dogg 56

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,709 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:11 PM

alot of kids there say the 454 cant handle towing

That's not true. The 454 is more than capable of towing heavy loads. When geared right, the 410 lb-ft of torque is a true peice of evidence that these motors can work. A common problem that I've heard of with them is cooling. A trans cooler and a new t-stat are some important additions that will really help.

However, I do repsect the Ford 460. It's a good motor for it's time, just like the 454. The same can be said for the 6.5 Turbo Diesel and the 7.3 Powerstroke. Times change, and so does technology.

I see nothing wrong with GM and Isuzu having a joint venture with the Duramax. Heck, just look at all of the Asian markets that GM caters to in the car segment. Daewoo (S. Korea), Fuji/Subaru and Suzuki (Japan), and soon, China (clicky).

But, in the end, it's always the same: Which is better? That's for you to decide.

:thumbs:
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS Z71 CC SB, 5.3, 4L60E, 4.10, G80, AutoTrac, Dark Spiral Gray Metallic/Charcoal cloth,
AM/FM, cassette, CD, XM, 265/65/R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/T's, 17" six-lug OEM wheels, Monroe Sensa-Trac's,
Wearever Gold LT front discs, Westin nerfs, Putco rails, Line of Fire, Lund Interceptor II deflector, Empire 540P winter hitch cover,
Putco 5-piece door & tailgate chrome covers, Tekonsha Voyager 9030, Rain-Ex Weatherbeater 22"'s, AVS CC Ventshades,
Sylvania Silverstars [9006 (lowbeams) 9005 (highbeams) 9145 (fogs) 3157/4157A ST (DRL's & turn signals) ],
Pilot Automotive Predator PM300 summer pedals, Cruisers "smoked" plate shields, Pilot Automotive "Bowtie" plate frames,
CanOBDII, B&D PI400AB 400w Inverter, Diesel Electronics 3-way 12V Power Adapter, Cobra XRS9730 12-band,
Flowmaster American Thunder 50 Series #17436 DOR, Actron CS7612 6V & 12V Alt/Batt charge tester, Grilz billet insert,
Allison gray/black rear bench cover, PlastiColor [driver& passenger covers w-Bowtie/steering wheel cover],
Bully CR132WK summer hitch, Bully PM222WK winter pedals, Interstate Batteries MT78 12V

Future Mods: Fender trim, RVM caps, Steelcraft #50210 grill guard, taillight covers, soft tonneau, 2" lift, bedrug,
35% tinting all around, paint, new dashboard pushbutton lights, Z71 chrome trim for CHMSL/Cargo Light etc...

Needed Mods: 4:10 regearing, 4L60E rebuild, Alternator, New front bowtie,
New motors for all window switches, New front passenger door lock mechanism, etc...

114,600 miles...

1993 Harley Davidson XLH883 Sportster Deluxe 45* UH883cc 53 CI “Evolution” V-Twin
42 HP @5600 RPM / 43.4 ft.lbs @4400 RPM, Evolution 1200cc Conversion: UH1200 72.55 CI “Evolution” 50 HP @
5200 RPM / 55.7 ft.lbs @ 3600 RPM, H-D / Dunlop D401F 90/90-19 MC 52H, D401R 130/90 B16 MC 73H,
1993 XLH883 Sportster Hugger suspension conversion, HD PPG Bright Wineberry Sunglo Tricoat,
custom 3-Gal. fuel tank, front & rear fender/fuel tank/battery box/ignition plate pinstriping in HD PPG Birch White
& Charcoal Satinbrite, Deltran Battery Tender Jr. 12V/750mA
Future Mods TBD: Possibly new transmission & Silverstars for headlamps and signals

Posted Image

#4 CHEVY TRUCKS

CHEVY TRUCKS

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:33 PM

alot of kids there say the 454 cant handle towing

That's not true. The 454 is more than capable of towing heavy loads. When geared right, the 410 lb-ft of torque is a true peice of evidence that these motors can work. A common problem that I've heard of with them is cooling. A trans cooler and a new t-stat are some important additions that will really help.

However, I do repsect the Ford 460. It's a good motor for it's time, just like the 454. The same can be said for the 6.5 Turbo Diesel and the 7.3 Powerstroke. Times change, and so does technology.

I see nothing wrong with GM and Isuzu having a joint venture with the Duramax. Heck, just look at all of the Asian markets that GM caters to in the car segment. Daewoo (S. Korea), Fuji/Subaru and Suzuki (Japan), and soon, China (clicky).

But, in the end, it's always the same: Which is better? That's for you to decide.

:lol:

When i use to have my other truck "my 86 1 ton" hauling livestock or hauling my bossman 79 Chevy Blazer on the back of my car bed trailer "back then i use to mudd race and now retired a champion" it never had problem towing, it was rite for the job and the only problem that i had with it was it didnt have A/C and its always burning hot here where i live, but other then that it was beast when it came to towing especially my old 78 Chevy K-10 that had a 350 and towed extremely well for a half ton, so far both the 454 BB and the 460 are good towing engines but some ford enthusiats really think above normal level and think high and mighty of ford but in other words there just trucks no different from Chevy in which i choose to drive. :thumbs:

#5 LikeaRock14

LikeaRock14

Enthusiast

• 868 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

The 460 has decent power, but it's a hell of a lot more bogged down than the 454's. My friends 460 has torque, but it just doesn't have quite he same power as our truck. We tow a 34 ft. 5th wheel loaded fully w/ a quad, an 1800 lb race car, and various odds and ends in the trailer every weekend, on average 250 miles each Saturday from about April to Late October. It could tow better w/ a better cam and especially forced induction, but it does do the job, and once you reach normal speeds it tows like a dream. The 4:10's make a big difference torque wise too compared to other trucks like ours I've sen equipped w/ 3:73 gears, but they still do the job.
When we used to tow the Sprint w/ our old 20 ft tag, it was like it wasn't even there except for harder acceleration. Even towing down the freeway at 70 mph it was stable as anything and the truck had more than enough power to tow it. Heat wise, I've never seen that thing anywhere CLOSE to 200 or 210, it's the stock thermo and tranny cooler and all, but it's always cool.

I've heard from some people that the 454's are dogged down, like lower compression ratio's, other smog crap, etc. I gotta say, when you're not towing anything w/ that thing though, it's got WAY more than enough power. 290 horsepower my ass, it might be, but it sure as hell feels like a lot more. The intake, chip, and exhaust helped unleash more low end power and some up top, but IU'm still saving for a Westers w/ no t.m :lol: :thumbs:

Edited by LikeaRock14, 29 August 2004 - 08:29 PM.

#6 AnniesSS

AnniesSS

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

When the 454SS came out, it didn't have much on speed, but many of them were bought by tow truck companies because of their ability to tow! That's gotta account for something!

#7 CMNTMXR81

CMNTMXR81

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,255 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:45 PM

Hmmm, let's see, the BBC" Rat" motor is a legend. A legend for towing, a legend in muscle car circles, a legend at drag strips and car shows across the nation. Opening up the Summit catalog I find one section completely devoted to the SBC and another for the BBC. I don't see a ford 460 section! Look at Marine, power generation, motorhome frames, busses, commercial trucks, and other applications. I see the BBC has a foothold, NOT ford 460's!

Nope, I don't see any correlation as to which is better motor for power development! :thumbs: :chevy:

This is not to take away from the 460, it just wasn't as much as star as GM's big gas motor, never has, never will. It's big amongst the ford fanatics, but outside that circle, it isn't.

Also, the DuraMax is not necessarily Japanese, but GM's partner Isuzu helped them joint develop it. This is where they come up with "Jap" motor comment.

Edited by CMNTMXR81, 09 September 2004 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image
Summer toy #1) 2004 Pontiac GTO - Impulse Blue Metallic, M6, lots of mods to create senseless levels of power
Summer toy #2) 2006 Cadillac STS-V - Light Platinum Metallic, A6, also lots of mods to create senseless levels of power
Daily Drivers/Vehicles subject to the wrath of Mother Nature:1) 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4. 2) 2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 3) 2009 Chevrolet Impala SS

#8 Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie

Enthusiast

• 56 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

Hmmm, let's see, the BBC" Rat" motor is a legend.  A legend for towing, a legend in muscle car circles, a legend at drag strips and car shows across the nation.  Opening up the Summit catalog I find one section completely devoted to the SBC and another for the BBC.  I don't see a ford 460 section!  Look at Marine, power generation, motorhome frames, busses, commercial trucks, and other applications.  I see the BBC has a foothold, NOT ford 460's!

Nope, I don't see any correlation as to which is better motor for power development!  :thumbs:  :jester:

This is not to take away from the 460, it just wasn't as much as star as GM's big gas motor, never has, never will.  It's big amongst the ford fanatics, but outside that circle, it isn't.

Also, the DuraMax is not necessarily Japanese, but GM's partner Isuzu helped them joint develop it.  This is where they come up with "Jap" motor comment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly don't understand why Ford Guys mock the Duramax Diesel even though there Powerstroke Diesel can't compete with it, hmmm..maybe this is the problem, they see that the Duramax Diesel get's better every year putting out more Torque pulling muscle then the Powerstroke. Both the Duramax and the Cummins are heavy duty engines where as the powerstroke is considered a light duty, im really guessing in what lame excuse there gonna say when GM brings out a new Diesel in the upcoming years, thats the question for them to ask themselves? !!!!! :chevy:

#9 Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie

Enthusiast

• 56 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:43 PM

As for the Big Block Steriod 454, it was a beast hauler and is still as it is today, this is where ford messed up big time with there engine setup and as far as i know Ford had a limited engine setup such as (Y-Block, FE, Windsor SB, etc...) while Chevy and GMC offered Small Blocks to Big Blocks and offered wide variety in engine size (350, 400, thru 454 and Crate Engine's & so fourth), on a personal level i've seen many Big Block 454's pushing nearly up to the 900 horsepower range and experienced the benefite's as in durabiltity and toughness in these engine's. :thumbs:

#10 95whtZR2

95whtZR2

Enthusiast

• 485 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:25 AM

...baby powerjoke cant compete so they come up with these names like Duracrap or whatever...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it just me or is this an ironic line... :thumbs:

I am not dogging you whatsoever, I am just saying that it sounds kinda funny that your complaining about them saying these things and yet your calling it names. Once again, I am not flaming you or anything like that...

I personally have never felt the true power of a 454, or a 460. I am a chevy man to the heart, so I will always go with the 454, hell I own a 454, I just need to put it in something :jester: (its the engine for my '51 chevy project truck). I have always heard the 454 was a hoss, as was the 460, but the 454 was always on top.

Just my $0.02....

Tom

....hell 454 just sounds so much cooler than 460 anyways.... :wtf: :chevy:

#11 CHEVY TRUCKS

CHEVY TRUCKS

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:42 AM

...baby powerjoke cant compete so they come up with these names like Duracrap or whatever...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it just me or is this an ironic line... :thumbs:

I am not dogging you whatsoever, I am just saying that it sounds kinda funny that your complaining about them saying these things and yet your calling it names. Once again, I am not flaming you or anything like that...

I personally have never felt the true power of a 454, or a 460. I am a chevy man to the heart, so I will always go with the 454, hell I own a 454, I just need to put it in something :jester: (its the engine for my '51 chevy project truck). I have always heard the 454 was a hoss, as was the 460, but the 454 was always on top.

Just my $0.02....

Tom

....hell 454 just sounds so much cooler than 460 anyways.... :wtf: :chevy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Getting even i guess! :cool:

#12 95whtZR2

95whtZR2

Enthusiast

• 485 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 03:34 PM

Getting even i guess! :wtf:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>