What size socket for 98' 4x4 S10 axle nut???

Hi, real quick question. Does anyone know what size socket is needed for the axle nut to take off the hub assembly on a 1998 4x4 blazer??? I'm traveling home for the weekend from North Carolina back to New York and I would like to know if possible what size it is so I know what to bring, it would be less hassel later on. Thanks for the help!

Zack

Oh, Oh, I know this one. The actual size is 1 3/8" However, I spent an ungodly amount of time trying to find this in a deep socket version. Finally broke down and tried the 36MM and it works fine, it's also the easiest to get since all the parts stores carry it. You'll also need a 6" 2 jaw puller to get the hub off the axle. I'm doing this as I write this to my 92 S10 blazer.

I just used a rubber mallet and punded on the end of the CV axle and pounded on the back side of the hub, it finally broke it loose, the puller is nice but not a neccessity just depends on the ease of getting a hold of one .... just FYI...

You might be able to use a metal hammer of some sort, but you might break stuff.

Tom

Thanks guys, it was a 36mm. Got the last one @ pep boys on saturday because Sears doesnt sell them in the stores anymore and advanced auto didnt have one either. The best thing to remove the hubs is an 18mm impact with the socket built into the swivel for the 3 flange bolts and an air chizzel and a straight punch on the axle after the nut is off. Pullers take to long and the air chizzel does just fine and wont damage the inner and outer CV joints.

Thanks guys, it was a 36mm.  Got the last one @ pep boys on saturday because Sears doesnt sell them in the stores anymore and advanced auto didnt have one either.  The best thing to remove the hubs is an 18mm impact with the socket built into the swivel for the 3 flange bolts and an air chizzel and a straight punch on the axle after the nut is off.  Pullers take to long and the air chizzel does just fine and wont damage the inner and outer CV joints.

Glad you got everything done alright.... Thanks for the info on the air chisel, didn't think of that one :thumbs:

Tom

Thanks guys, it was a 36mm. Got the last one @ pep boys on saturday because Sears doesnt sell them in the stores anymore and advanced auto didnt have one either. The best thing to remove the hubs is an 18mm impact with the socket built into the swivel for the 3 flange bolts and an air chizzel and a straight punch on the axle after the nut is off. Pullers take to long and the air chizzel does just fine and wont damage the inner and outer CV joints.

Just to correct a misconception, I had the hub off in less than 2 seconds using my 1/2" impact wrench on the puller. It doesn't get any easier than that! :lurk::jester:

Archived