93 S-10 won't run...

First post, hoping y'all can help...

I have a 93 S-10 that won't run...

It will crank all day, but won't catch...

I have replaced the plugs and wires, but that did not help...

It seems to have spark, as it will try to start if I give it a shot of ether, but as soon as that burns off, it's stalled again...

How do I trouble-shoot this thing?

I am going to replace the fuel filter today, I figure that's a good a place to start as any, but I don't think that's the problem... Never tried to work on one of thewse fuel injected motors before...

Where should I look for the problem???

Dis the 93's have a computer???

First post, hoping y'all can help...

I have a 93 S-10 that won't run... 

It will crank all day, but won't catch...

I have replaced the plugs and wires, but that did not help...

It seems to have spark, as it will try to start if I give it a shot of ether, but as soon as that burns off, it's stalled again...

How do I trouble-shoot this thing?

I am going to replace the fuel filter today, I figure that's a good a place to start as any, but I don't think that's the problem...  Never tried to work on one of thewse fuel injected motors before...

Where should I look for the problem???

Dis the 93's have a computer???

What kind of engine do you have in your S10? I believe there was a 2.8L V6 that was TBI(looks like a carburetor but its fuel injected), a 4.3L with TBI, and a 4.3L with CPI. The TBI's have a round air cleaner on top of the engine, while the CPI has the air cleaner box behind the drivers side headlight. There should be a sticker under the hood on the radiator cradle that says the displacement.

All three of those engines will have a computer. I am not sure if GM offered a 4 banger that year.

It sounds liek a fuel problem if the ether will get it to start. I would check your fuel pump. To check it take the gas cap off and put your ear to the filler hole while someone turns the key foward, you SHOULD hear a whine coming from the gas tank. I know on the later model GM vehicles that have bad fuel pumps, you can pound on the bottom of the tank while someone is cranking and sometimes it will start, you may want to try that. Good luck.

Tom

I should have gave more information...

It's a 4.3 with CPI, VIN Code "W"...

Yesterday I attempted to troubleshoot the fuel pump. I understand that the pressure should be somewhere around 14psi, however I do not have a guage or protable testing guage. I went to 5 different parts stores, non of them sell one... I cycled the ignition a few times, but neither me or my sone could hear the fuel pump running. (I am hard of hearing, and he may not know what he is listening for) I took the cap off the fuel line schrader valve, and when I pushed in on the little tit I got fuel squirting up about 8 inches (no lectures about safety). This relieved the pressure in the line, so I cycled the ignition one more time, pushed the little tit in and got the same result. So, I concluded that there is fuel pressure, I just don't know if it is enough...

I didn't want to replace the fuel pump just to see if that is what it was, so I worked on the ignition side... I replaced the cap, rotor and coil, but it still didn't start. I had replaced the plugs and wires before that... The only thing left is the ICM (Ignition Control Module), but I will replace that today (if it comes in, on order). I know I am taking stabs in the dark here, but this truck has high mileage, and all of these components were original equipment, so I am not hurting anything by replacing them...

This thing was in semi-retirement for over a year... I'll describe the way she ended up in retirement, maybe it will raise some ideas for diagnosis...

She was starting to show her age, and received a new transmission, 4X4 switch and servo, brakes all around, exhaust, and a few other minor maintenance items in about it's last 6 months on the road... Then came the winter of 02. It started getting harder and harder to start, but once started it would run just fine. It would re-start when hot. It steadily got worse, until it needed ether to get going... I only did that a few times, as I know it's not goog for it, but I had to get around... Finally, whith snow blowing outside, temps in the low 20's, it wouldn's start at all... I shoved it out to the end of the driveway, and wought me a Silverado...

Now it is tiem for my son to start driving, so we are trying to resurect this thing... It is a nice truck, if I could just get it running...

My mechanical skills are just fine, I can fix about anything, but I have a hard time diagnosing problems sometimes...

Any other ideas?

I would never lecture anybody about safey- especially my dad when he blew in the fuel reservoir on my bronco and a little hose was pointing back at him- yeah he got gas in his eyes... No safety lectures from me...(my dad was ok afterwards btw)

Thanks for the addititonal info. You have replaced the fuel filter right? Ok, if you can't start it except with ether then it is a fuel problem. Something is keeping the initial amount of fuel from getting to the engine(this is where the priming with ether comes in), but once the engine gets started then it can get the fuel fine. I believe while replacing all of the ignition components your just wasting your time and money- I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If I were you I would worry about the fuel pump/lines/filter. I would try and get somebody that lives around you that knows whats going on to take a look at it. I am sorry I can't be more help, but you'll eventually figure it out- and if you don't then I will buy it form you for $100 :lurk: (didn't realize it was a 4x4) :jester: Good luck.

Tom- where ya from btw?

Hey, another ZR2er in the thread!

I had similar issues with my 94. Hard starting after it sat for 3 hours, after 5 hours it was fine. The CPI unit was leaking. Low fuel pressure and flooded engine equal long crank times. Try holding the gas pedal down and turning the key to start. This will put the truck into "clear flood" mode, as it was described to me. Worked every time. Mine wasn't leaking really bad yet though. To check for a leaking CPI unit, pull the valve under the "Vortec" cover on the top of the engine. Look inside with a flashlight. You'll see washing on the passenger side of the intake if the regulator is bad, on the driver side if the "nut kit" or fuel supply and return lines are bad.

I'd suggest finding someone with a fuel pressure gauge. These engines have a small range of pressures they can operate in, it's 54-62 PSI. If it's anything below 52 PSI the injector poppets won't open. FYI, the Hayne's manual for this truck has a fairly detailed description of the system operation. It's also the only manual I used when I replaced the injector in that truck.

I'll agree with 95whtzr2, replace the fuel filter. Have your son listen to your Silverado, he should hear a similar whine from the tank on the S-truck if the pump is working properly. Also, try replacing the relay on the firewall, don't recall which one but one of them is the fuel pump relay, they're near the brake booster.

Good luck. I've done the injector replacement before, so shoot me a message if you find that's the problem, it's not terribly difficult if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. Took me a while, but it was mid-summer and in the high 80's, I was working in the driveway and NOT in a shaded spot...

Blue: I have been around a while, I just didn't have any time or resources to look at all the BBS I was involved in... just look at my post count here... But I am gradually trying to get back in the swing of things after summer...

Blue brought up some good points- I have never had to do anything with injectors before so I have no clue there...

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

check the fuel pressure, i'm having the same problem in my '93 Jimmy 4.3L Vortec... i checked the fuel pressure and the fuel lines are bleeding back into the fuel tank... i'm getting ready to change the fuel pump as well... give that a try.... just an idea... hope it helps!

Archived