Photo
- - - - -

Broken Tailgate Handle to Latch Assembly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scyry

Scyry

Enthusiast

• 580 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

So today at Lowes after I had bought a bunch of ply wood and lumber I go out to my truck and the tailgate will not open. Figure out the driver's side latch was releasing but the passenger's side was not. It also felt like there was less resistance than usual when lifting the handle. SO after much frustration and 20 minutes messing with it in the rain, I gave up and removed the plastic protector around the handle, broke the tabs on it in the process (bet that is $50+ to replace :cheers: ) Atleast after popping that off I could see the problem, there is a little plastic wedge shaped thing on the end of a metal rod that is used to connect the rod to the handle assembly, it was broken. My question is am I going to have to buy a whole new tail gate assembly or do you think I can just get the little plastic tab? If it is the whole thing I am going to just wait it out for a hile, if not I will see if I can just get the tab and fix it myself.

Anyone else ever had this happen to them? I often see people driving around without the plastic protector.

Edited by Scyry, 06 October 2004 - 06:43 PM.

Now:
1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2-Door, White
Show: Debadged, Tinted
Go: Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake

2005 GTO, Impulse Blue Metallic/Black, M6
Show: VX Tails, 20% Tint, TSW Mondello Hyperblack
Go: Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, LS2 Portworks ported TB, K&N CAI

Gone:
2001 Chevy 2500HD LS, 6.0 Liter with 5 Speed, G80, 4.10's, Black, Extended Cab, Short Bed
1990 C1500, 5.7 with 5 Speed, Sportside, Regular Cab

#2 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,322 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:44 PM

Its a dealer item but dont go to them for that, go to your local salvage yard and get it off of a junker it will be alot cheaper.

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#3 JimG

JimG

Enthusiast

• 321 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:55 PM

Alternative - GMPartsDirect (GMPD). I think I know what you're talking about with the tailgate handle. Never thought about 1 of them things breaking like that. Doubt you could get just the tab, but maybe see how much a new handle will cost. As for the plastic trim part, it's about $7 from GMPD. Broke mine when I installed my power tailgate lock. On my dad's advice, I actually bought 2 of them which was good cuz I broke the first one trying to get it in :cheers:
You gotta put it back in a certain way because anything else will break the new one - I think you have to put the top part in first then press the bottom into place. Anyway, definitely too bad it snapped on, especially in the rain - I dunno, maybe the good old duct tape could find a use here.

#4 MountaineerTom

MountaineerTom

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,935 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:19 PM

Another alternative, get one of those plastic clip things for the rod from a parts store. I helped a guy change one on his Silverado about a month ago in the parking lot at work. we got one at Advance Auto Parts, they were in the section with those red "Help" packages. They had a few different kinds. Spent about $3-4.

#5 Scyry

Scyry

Enthusiast

• 580 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I went back out and looked at the thing earlier. Thinking about getting a small washer and some metal epoxy and glue the washer on to the tip of the rod with it in place. I think that may be stronger than the crappy plastic thing. Anyone think that be a bad idea?
Now:
1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2-Door, White
Show: Debadged, Tinted
Go: Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake

2005 GTO, Impulse Blue Metallic/Black, M6
Show: VX Tails, 20% Tint, TSW Mondello Hyperblack
Go: Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, LS2 Portworks ported TB, K&N CAI

Gone:
2001 Chevy 2500HD LS, 6.0 Liter with 5 Speed, G80, 4.10's, Black, Extended Cab, Short Bed
1990 C1500, 5.7 with 5 Speed, Sportside, Regular Cab

#6 03GMC2500HD

03GMC2500HD

Enthusiast

• 315 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

FYI the red/green rod clips are about $3 ea at the dealership! Just got some a month or so ago!

Edited by 03GMC2500HD, 07 October 2004 - 10:57 AM.

2003 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
16x8 Weld Velocity 8
285/75/16 Yokahama Geolander AT+
2" Torsion Bar Leveling Kit
Go Rhino Chrome wheel to wheel steps
Billet grill
Billet Antenna
Wait4me custom tuned PCM
K&N FIPK
Escalade Door Handles
03 Chevy Tail Lights
pics of my truck

#7 JimG

JimG

Enthusiast

• 321 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:38 PM

I went back out and looked at the thing earlier. Thinking about getting a small washer and some metal epoxy and glue the washer on to the tip of the rod with it in place. I think that may be stronger than the crappy plastic thing. Anyone think that be a bad idea?

my $0.02 - I think that's a pretty cool idea. Be a heck of a lot stronger than the plastic part that's on there now. Only question would be if the rod's banging against the handle how long would it take to break the epoxy bond.