Broken Tailgate Handle to Latch Assembly

So today at Lowes after I had bought a bunch of ply wood and lumber I go out to my truck and the tailgate will not open. Figure out the driver's side latch was releasing but the passenger's side was not. It also felt like there was less resistance than usual when lifting the handle. SO after much frustration and 20 minutes messing with it in the rain, I gave up and removed the plastic protector around the handle, broke the tabs on it in the process (bet that is $50+ to replace :cheers: ) Atleast after popping that off I could see the problem, there is a little plastic wedge shaped thing on the end of a metal rod that is used to connect the rod to the handle assembly, it was broken. My question is am I going to have to buy a whole new tail gate assembly or do you think I can just get the little plastic tab? If it is the whole thing I am going to just wait it out for a hile, if not I will see if I can just get the tab and fix it myself.

Anyone else ever had this happen to them? I often see people driving around without the plastic protector.

Alternative - GMPartsDirect (GMPD). I think I know what you're talking about with the tailgate handle. Never thought about 1 of them things breaking like that. Doubt you could get just the tab, but maybe see how much a new handle will cost. As for the plastic trim part, it's about $7 from GMPD. Broke mine when I installed my power tailgate lock. On my dad's advice, I actually bought 2 of them which was good cuz I broke the first one trying to get it in :cheers:

You gotta put it back in a certain way because anything else will break the new one - I think you have to put the top part in first then press the bottom into place. Anyway, definitely too bad it snapped on, especially in the rain - I dunno, maybe the good old duct tape could find a use here.

Another alternative, get one of those plastic clip things for the rod from a parts store. I helped a guy change one on his Silverado about a month ago in the parking lot at work. we got one at Advance Auto Parts, they were in the section with those red "Help" packages. They had a few different kinds. Spent about $3-4.

Thanks for the advice.

I went back out and looked at the thing earlier. Thinking about getting a small washer and some metal epoxy and glue the washer on to the tip of the rod with it in place. I think that may be stronger than the crappy plastic thing. Anyone think that be a bad idea?

I went back out and looked at the thing earlier. Thinking about getting a small washer and some metal epoxy and glue the washer on to the tip of the rod with it in place. I think that may be stronger than the crappy plastic thing. Anyone think that be a bad idea?

my $0.02 - I think that's a pretty cool idea. Be a heck of a lot stronger than the plastic part that's on there now. Only question would be if the rod's banging against the handle how long would it take to break the epoxy bond.

Archived