Photo
- - - - -

Antilock Brake Proportioning Valve failure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,553 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 08 January 2002 - 08:45 AM

you guys should inform the nhtsa.  Ill be darned if i am paying $900 if mine goes out.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#2 smarti2

smarti2

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 03:41 AM

Hey guys, I hadn't noticed any postings on the board about the antilock brakes. I experienced a problem with my 99 Z71 ext. cab silverado ; one day I turned my truck off and got out and could hear an electric motor running. Well to make a long story shorter, the $800.00 antilock brake proportioning valve electronics had failed. After checking arround I found that almost everyone I talked to with 30k-60k miles has had this type of failure. I bought a used part for $250.00 and had dealer install it ($165.00) because it looked like a monster if you had to bleed the brake lines. Kelsey-Hayes makes this module for GM. If anyone else has this problem email me and maybe I can help from experience, also email GM and NHSTB. If you are lucky yours may fail within the warranty period. When I called my dealer he said they were familar with the problem and that they were out of the part but were expecting more in. He suggested to pull the 60 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood to stop the motor (this will of corse disable the antilock brakes but they aren't working anyway) and then ensure you have your normal brakes and repair it as soon as possible. ANYONE ELSE?

#3 Shaners

Shaners

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 05:23 AM

Welcome to the forum.

There was a discussion about this type of failure a few days ago.  I too, have heard GM is aware of this problem, and it seems to apply to the '99 model year more than the others.  I have also heard that GM in some cases has repaired/replaced the defective unit under "GoodWill" on some peoples out of warranty trucks.

2013 Avalanche LTZ. White Diamond Tricoat paint w/Ebony leather. (mine)  In person tune by Justin from BlackBear Performance

2005 BMW 645Ci convertible w/only 21k miles

2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid (hers)

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

#4 1BADHD

1BADHD

Enthusiast

• 632 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 08:39 AM

I had posted about this a few days ago. It happened on my brothers truck. I talked to two dealers for him and they both would not "Good Will" the part under warranty unless the truck had 60,000 miles or less. After that they both told me that it could just be "Normal wear and tear". Bunch of BS. But I did get extremely lucky to find one on Ebay that day. Whats the odds of that. Brand new with next day shipping was 82.63. Now I just have to get it put on.
Homepage

Posted Image

2001 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0, 4.10, auto, 4x4.
Rancho 6" lift, Eagle 102, 16x10 and 36x14.50x16 Truxus STS's.