Antilock Brake Proportioning Valve failure

Hey guys, I hadn't noticed any postings on the board about the antilock brakes. I experienced a problem with my 99 Z71 ext. cab silverado ; one day I turned my truck off and got out and could hear an electric motor running. Well to make a long story shorter, the $800.00 antilock brake proportioning valve electronics had failed. After checking arround I found that almost everyone I talked to with 30k-60k miles has had this type of failure. I bought a used part for $250.00 and had dealer install it ($165.00) because it looked like a monster if you had to bleed the brake lines. Kelsey-Hayes makes this module for GM. If anyone else has this problem email me and maybe I can help from experience, also email GM and NHSTB. If you are lucky yours may fail within the warranty period. When I called my dealer he said they were familar with the problem and that they were out of the part but were expecting more in. He suggested to pull the 60 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood to stop the motor (this will of corse disable the antilock brakes but they aren't working anyway) and then ensure you have your normal brakes and repair it as soon as possible. ANYONE ELSE?

Welcome to the forum.

There was a discussion about this type of failure a few days ago.  I too, have heard GM is aware of this problem, and it seems to apply to the '99 model year more than the others.  I have also heard that GM in some cases has repaired/replaced the defective unit under "GoodWill" on some peoples out of warranty trucks.

I had posted about this a few days ago. It happened on my brothers truck. I talked to two dealers for him and they both would not "Good Will" the part under warranty unless the truck had 60,000 miles or less. After that they both told me that it could just be "Normal wear and tear". Bunch of BS. But I did get extremely lucky to find one on Ebay that day. Whats the odds of that. Brand new with next day shipping was 82.63. Now I just have to get it put on.

Archived