Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

which tires are the best

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: which tires would u preferr?

which tires would u preferr?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 twinky350

twinky350

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:25 PM

which ones do u think are the best in the rain....snow...mud....and tread life....by the way im driving a 94 z71 with goodyear rt/s and i think there sh%#....Also i have a set of procomp xterrains

#2 DustinM

DustinM

Enthusiast

• 46 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:49 PM

I am doing a tire study myself getting ready to buy new for winter. Micheln hands down make the best and longest lasting tire IMHO. Goodyear and BFG seem to rate about the same in happy customers vs. unsatisfied customers. I have Procomp M/Ts now and am not completly satisfied with them. Still unsure what is the best though.

#3 Truckman031

Truckman031

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,917 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:50 PM

The BFG All-Terrains are really good. They don't wear fast and are good in the mud. However, the Michelin LTX M/S is also a good tire. Both are good, but I voted for the BFGs.
2005 Silverado Crew Cab LT Z-71

#4 ness5575

ness5575

Enthusiast

• 323 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:53 PM

got over 70 k on my bfg's and have been real happy with them. handle real well in all conditions and look great imo. i will be getting another set in a few months, probably could go a little longer, but want to have new tires before winter hits...
2008 Chevy Suburban

#5 budhayes3

budhayes3

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,505 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:16 PM

Love my BFG All Terrains. Great in the snow, nice on dry pavement, and relatively quiet on the highway. :mad:
Posted Image
My CarDomain Page
5.3 Z71 RC/SB - Comp 206/212 .515/.520 114, 02 LS6 Springs, Harland Sharp 1.7:1's, 02 PCMforLess PCM, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air, StainlessWorks LT's and catted Y-pipe, Gibson Single in Dual out, 05 e-fans, 34" radiator, 160*stat, PermaCool trans cooler, 3.73 G80, TA Rear Diff Girdle, Belltech 2" lowering keys, Belltech 2" Drop Shackles, 2" 4x4 Lift Blocks Removed, Joe Gibbs 20's w/ Toyo Proxes 285/50's

#6 TexasAggie

TexasAggie

Enthusiast

• 32 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:39 PM

Wouldn't trade my Michelins LTX's for anthing!! Have almost 51K on the current set and still going strong...great in the snow, expecially confident in the rain and do pretty well down in the sand on Mustang and Padre. Just MHO of course, but :mad:

#7 carguru

carguru

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,368 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:44 PM

I might be a little biased since this is what I bought for mine. :mad: A little over 500 happy miles so far.
2004 Tahoe Z71, Black/Tan, Bilsteins, Hotchkis F/R sways, 3M Scotchcal, BFG A/T KO

2011 Silverado LTZ Z71, Sheer Silver/Light-Dark Titanium, Peragon bed cover, Bedrug

DC  Posted Image

#8 Peter_C

Peter_C

Enthusiast

• 78 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:59 PM

Coming from the other side then...My first Burb was a 1992 K2500 with a 454 with a few mods and now I have a 2001 K2500 with a 496 sporting a Westers PCM. The first thing I found out is E load range is the only way to go. I should add that my right and left foot nail the gas and brakes pretty hard and I swear a Burb is a sports car. FYI BFG is owned my Michelin. They price lock their tires so you will pay a premium. I have heard good things about the LTX's but have no experience with them.

I bought the BFG 265/75/16 All Terrain KO's hoping they would work well. They look great but that is about all I have to say about them. With 65 psi in them on 8 inch wheels they wore heavily on the outside edges. Before someone says alignment, we had a Hunter 411 where I worked. In the rain they would break loose very easily and in the snow was down right scary. After 24K miles they needed to be replaced. They did seem to do well on dirt roads.

On my 01 Burb, I just put on a set of 265/75/16 Revo's E load range on the stock wheels, after getting 40K out of the stock crappy Firestone tires. I have only driven it maybe 40 miles, but I was impressed with the wet weather traction. Off a stop light full throttle it spun both tires for about 10 feet then hooked up and off it went. Pushing it hard around a corner waiting for it to come out sidewayz it took more throttle than in the past to get the rear to kick out. Beyond that I can not comment as they are new to me. I did tons of research trying to find what was going to work for me. Of course I purchased these on other people recommendations, as they had the highest recommendation.

I did much of my research on a couple of RV websites as no-one puts as much milage on a set of tires as a long haul traveler, this website and the Tire Rack's customer rating.

#9 Machine

Machine

Enthusiast

• 855 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:29 PM

Peter - Running the 65 psi could have been part of the problem, not to mention that the ride must have been terrible?

I have the BFG 285's on my Z71 and the 305's on my HD, and while not hauling a load; 35 is proving to be the best psi on both vehicles. The HD has about 19K on this set of BFG's and the wear has been nice and even.

I vote for BFG's, but I have mine siped to improve traction on wet roads. Next month I will be putting BFG 315's on my Ford (in combonation with a 4" lift)
2011 Suburban Z71

2007 Ford F-250 Lariat, 6.0 Power Stroke/TorqShift, CC, FX4; SCT tuned by Innovative, MBRP, EGR Delete, Studs, TDS High Idle, Isspro Pyro and Boost, XM w/ PIE Adapter

2003 2500HD LT, LB7 Duramax, CC; Quad / Juice, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Rancho 6", BFG KO 315's, Auto Meter Pyro and Boost.
--------------------
2011 Cadillac CTS-V

#10 TarheelZ

TarheelZ

Enthusiast

• 294 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:24 PM

Here's the way Consumer Report ranks 'em:

1 Goodyear Fortera HL Edition $115
2 Pirelli Scorpion STR A $110
3 Hankook DynaPro AS RH03 $80
4 Kelly Safari Signature $90
5 Dayton Timberline HT $75
6 Hankook DynaPro AT RF08 $80
7 Dunlop Radial Rover AT $85
8 General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears) $90
9 Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country $75
10 Toyo Open Country M410 $75
11 Kumho Road Venture HT $65
12 Firestone Destination LE $75
13 Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 $75
14 Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP $70
15 Michelin XC LT4 (Sears) $140
16 Cooper Discoverer H/T $75
17 Michelin LTX M/S $120
18 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 $85
19 Michelin Cross Terrain $120
20 Continental ContiTrac $95
21 Kelly Safari SUV $80
22 BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A $85

The ranking was based on wet/dry braking, snow/ice, comfort, rolling resistance, noise.

#11 Chris97K1500

Chris97K1500

Enthusiast

• 743 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

It's always going to be BFG AT's when you ask on a board like this. It's the most common tire bought. Do some research on the internet, you'll find tons of info about tires. I've owned every tire you mentioned above except for the PC AT's, Revo's are by far the best ALL around tire IMO. My BFG's, were new on my truck when I bought it a couple years ago chunked out with less than 20K miles on them, do some research, I'm not the only one! Just my experiences, and for the list of Consumer Reports, 20 of those tires are not a true AT, they might have AT on the tire, but just 'cuz they fit on SUV's don't make them a true AT tire. Most of those would get stuck in wet grass going up a little hill! Chris
Posted Image
'08 Silverado LTZ CrewCab, Dark Blue Metallic, LMM Duramax/Allison, 4x4. added GM LED clearance markers and Chrome door handles, T-Rex billet grille with bumper insert. Toyo Open Country MT's 295/70R17's on ProComp 6001's, 17x9's. Airlift 5000, Magnaflow 4" SS Turbo back, Fleece Performance built SC1058, GMax6, EFIlive DSP5 by Duramaxtuner, ProFab EGR delete pipe, MBRP downpipe. Banks IC tube, Technicooler, intake and scoop. Bilstein 5100's, GoRhino Dominator III SS nerf bars.

'08 Forrest River Sierra 375QBQ 5th Wheel

'97 Chevy 4x4, SOLD!

'04 Cadillac Escalade ESV, loaded...

http://www.picturetr...amp;uid=2072419

#12 lrymal

lrymal

Larry Rymal

• 1,994 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:54 AM

TireRack has always been a site of interest when comparing tires for trucks and cars.According to their customer survey page, These tires are in their top five:

Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo
Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Michelin 4x4 XPC
Michelin LTX A/T

-------------

2014 GMC 4WD SLT Crew Cab - Bronze

408637871.jpg

#13 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,931 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:01 AM

I love my Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's,I've always had great wear with Goodyears in the past 14 years I've owed trucks and wouldn't run anything but them.
But its just like everything else (gas,oil,wax,etc..) everybody has there favorites.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#14 Autumn

Autumn

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:16 AM

I voted for the Michelins. They are extremely quiet and smooth. I had the wheels balanced first, then had the tires installed and rebalanced with the stick on weights in the inside of the wheels.

It would also be interesting to know what air pressure folks run. I run 38 in the front and 35 in the rear and they seem to be wearing very even at 12K miles. I read someplace that the extended cab is almost perfectly balanced front and rear at 55/45.
'99 Silverado LT, 5.3, Ext Cab, Lt. Pewter Metallic
G80 locking 3.42 rear
ARE Lid, FlowMaster 40 duals

Sylvania SilverStar Fogs(893) & Lows(6001)

#15 Peter_C

Peter_C

Enthusiast

• 78 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

Machine, 65 PSI was not enough to keep the outside edge from wearing too fast, I really needed more pressure, but the BFG's are only D load range. As for the ride, I prefer a firm ride. At the time my sports car had all poly bushings in it, so the ride was plush. My 01 Burb I cranked the torsion bars up to level it, which made it ride stiffer...so it handles much better now.

My current tire pressure is 65 on the front and 50 in the rear. I kick the rear tire pressure up depending on what I am towing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users