Photo
- - - - -

Under the hood light

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Stocklook

Stocklook

Enthusiast

• 315 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:35 AM

Hey, Where is the under hood light on the 04's I was checking under the hood a wile back and notice that there was not a light. whats up with this ? or is mine missing

#2 99-2door

99-2door

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:41 AM

Hey, Where is the under hood light on the 04's I was checking under the hood a wile back and notice that there was not a light.  whats up with this ? or is mine missing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They don't have a light under there 03-up

I think the hood has provision for the 99-02 light though.

Do a search I know there were threads about this earlier.

95 Chevy K3500 SRW converted to 5.7L Vortec 4L80e, 4.10 w/G80
2003 Tahoe w/ Silverado front clip
2001 GMC C3, 6.0L AWD, lowered 3/5, Volant intake, pulleys, tuned with HPtuners by me.

#3 gnutruk

gnutruk

Enthusiast

• 242 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 12:14 PM

Cheapo for GM to have eliminated the light. At their scale of production how much could those lights cost them -- perhaps $2.00 extra per vehicle? :cool: My truck (02) has the light, and I have actually found it useful a couple of times.

There have been a few battery powered add-on lights available in the past. I think J.C. Whitney has shown some in its catalog. Maybe they still offer one. Probably use AA size batteries, or similar.

gnutruk

#4 lrymal

lrymal

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,994 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 12:32 PM

Used the search engine and found this:

http://www.gm-trucks...topic=19643&hl=

-------------

2014 GMC 4WD SLT Crew Cab - Bronze

408637871.jpg

#5 Likarok

Likarok

Enthusiast

• 490 posts
  • Drives:Chevys GMC'S and Hogs

Posted 30 October 2004 - 01:40 PM

Yes thanks to Mr. Lutz......you will notice a lot of things missing from 02 to 03.

Things like the side body molding on the box.......no in cabin air filter.....no "silverado" logos on the doors......no under hood light.....no chrome mirrors......no full overhead counsel.....

Those are the obvious things....god knows what is changed that we can't see.

You are right ........how much per truck would this have saved.

When you bring in a guy from Chrysler......who knows maybe we will have this body sytle for 15 years like they do with Dodges.

Edited by Likarok, 30 October 2004 - 10:39 PM.

2008 Corvette ZO6
2011 Silverado LTZ Crew
2014 Sierra SLE Short Box
2011 HD 103 Street Glide

#6 blue2kzr2

blue2kzr2

Enthusiast

• 553 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

On this subject, anyone remember the extendable ones from the OBS trucks? I think they were on the Suburban. Anyone have the p/n for that, and about how much it is?

#7 gixxer

gixxer

Enthusiast

• 161 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:43 PM

I have one on my 96 Tahoe 2 dr Z71. I can check for a part number fot you on Monday :cool:
97 GMC Yukon ZZ Partial short Block, K&N FIPK, MSD 6AL, Borla headers, Borla Cat- back, custom 2 1/2 high flow cats,Bell Tech Drop kit, Hotchkis Sway Bars, MSD 6AL, Rancho RS 9000X, Granatelli mass air, Hypertech programmer, 1.6 Crower Stainless Roller Rockers, Lingenfelter 3.5 ALuminum Driveshaft, 6K HID's, Flex a lite dual fans, Brembo 13" front kit, stillen 12" rear disks, 75mm throttle body, full carbon fiber interior kit, 20* 10 HRE's 640, 305/45 20 Pirelli Scorpion Zero, the list goes on and on....on....on
Posted Image

#8 h8dviks

h8dviks

Enthusiast

• 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:32 AM

I keep this thing in my glove box........it's called a flashlight. Seems to work ok. I hear they have them now that are rechargeable and some even run for a little while when you wind a little handle. Just kidding, I like being a wise guy!

#9 blue2kzr2

blue2kzr2

Enthusiast

• 553 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, I got one of them. Sometimes it's hard to hold the light and do whatever you're trying to do. Since I don't have an under-hood light, it'd be cool to get one, and something others don't have on an S-10...

#10 ness5575

ness5575

Enthusiast

• 323 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

i have never understood why people get upset over this. the light is useless. it shines very little light on a small portion of the engine compartment on the drivers side. if you truely need to do any work at all on the truck at night, you need some other source of light with or without the hood light.

and even if it did only save $2 per truck, multiply that by the all the silverados and sierras sold each year and they are saving lots of money (easily over a million dollars per year) - all by eliminating a useless feature...
2008 Chevy Suburban

#11 99GMCZ71

99GMCZ71

Enthusiast

• 175 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:07 AM

i have never understood why people get upset over this.  the light is useless.  it shines very little light on a small portion of the engine compartment on the drivers side.  if you truely need to do any work at all on the truck at night, you need some other source of light with or without the hood light.

and even if it did only save $2 per truck, multiply that by the all the silverados and sierras sold each year and they are saving lots of money (easily over a million dollars per year) - all by eliminating a useless feature...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I happen to like the light, and I think it helps in the dark. Like checking fluids, ect. Sure is better than no light!

#12 gnutruk

gnutruk

Enthusiast

• 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:48 PM

i have never understood why people get upset over this.  the light is useless.  it shines very little light on a small portion of the engine compartment on the drivers side.  if you truely need to do any work at all on the truck at night, you need some other source of light with or without the hood light.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrong! Maybe it's useless for you, but as 99GMCZ71 said, it helps for the easy things.

No one ever suggested that the stock oem light was adequate for any serious under-the-hood work. That's a red herring argument.

I had to jump-start another vehicle off my truck over a year ago, late at night with no other source of illumination than the light, and having it there permitted me to easily clip on the jumper cables without having to hold a flashlight in my other hand. It just so happens that the jumper cable attachment points ARE on the drivers side. So the light is perfectly located to help with the things it is supposed to help with. Additionally, as 99GMCZ71 also said, the light is plenty bright enough to check fluid levels, locate belts to press on to see if their tension is correct, etc. You can even pop out a fuse to see if it's burnt if you hold the fuse up close enough.

"and even if it did only save $2 per truck, multiply that by the all the silverados and sierras sold each year and they are saving lots of money"

WTF !! Do you own stock in GM? Are you so twisted up about getting an extra dime in your dividend check that you support removing that useful feature?

If so, here's what I suggest you think about. If GM goes and removes a $2.00 part, taking it away from a $25,000 to $40,000 vehicle, then it doesn't truly help GM's bottom line at all, but only makes them look cheap, and with a contemptuous attitude toward their buyers. The loyal customers, my friend, are exactly the base that no intelligent corporation should risk p---ing off.

The light IS useful. And GM ought to be ashamed for eliminating it.

gnutruk

#13 sstimothy

sstimothy

Enthusiast

• 828 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:01 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever had to check a fluid level at night or jump start anyone? This light is worth it's weight in gold. When you pay that much for a vehicle they better had not cut corners like this. Besides, you have to hold the flashlight in one hand. Why not have hands free ilumination, duh.

2015GMC2.jpg
2015' GMC Crew Cab, SLT, Dmax/Allison, 4X4
Onyx Black w/Cocoa Dune
G80, skid plate package, driver alert package, DVD/BluRay, camper mirrors, 5th wheel wiring, winter covers, too many option to name on one page, etc...etc...

#14 ness5575

ness5575

Enthusiast

• 323 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:15 PM

:seeya: easy guys - its only an underhood light. :thumbs:

i am glad that you enjoy having one - i dont find it useful for my needs. so if that means that i dont know what the hell i am talking about (sstimothy), or wtf I am talking about (gnutruk), or that I am twisted (gnutruck, again) so be it.

its just an opinion on a $2 light, take it easy guys...
2008 Chevy Suburban

#15 99silveradoz71

99silveradoz71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:04 PM

Yes Gents, let's keep the talk reasonable here. I have one on my 99 and find it to be of use when it's dark and I need to snag a look under the hood. Sure it's not setup for extensive repairs, but I'd rather have it than not.
Posted Image
2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 3.73 Blue Granite