Under the hood light

Hey, Where is the under hood light on the 04's I was checking under the hood a wile back and notice that there was not a light.  whats up with this ? or is mine missing

They don't have a light under there 03-up

I think the hood has provision for the 99-02 light though.

Do a search I know there were threads about this earlier.

Cheapo for GM to have eliminated the light. At their scale of production how much could those lights cost them -- perhaps $2.00 extra per vehicle? :cool: My truck (02) has the light, and I have actually found it useful a couple of times.

There have been a few battery powered add-on lights available in the past. I think J.C. Whitney has shown some in its catalog. Maybe they still offer one. Probably use AA size batteries, or similar.

gnutruk

Yes thanks to Mr. Lutz......you will notice a lot of things missing from 02 to 03.

Things like the side body molding on the box.......no in cabin air filter.....no "silverado" logos on the doors......no under hood light.....no chrome mirrors......no full overhead counsel.....

Those are the obvious things....god knows what is changed that we can't see.

You are right ........how much per truck would this have saved.

When you bring in a guy from Chrysler......who knows maybe we will have this body sytle for 15 years like they do with Dodges.

I keep this thing in my glove box........it's called a flashlight. Seems to work ok. I hear they have them now that are rechargeable and some even run for a little while when you wind a little handle. Just kidding, I like being a wise guy!

i have never understood why people get upset over this. the light is useless. it shines very little light on a small portion of the engine compartment on the drivers side. if you truely need to do any work at all on the truck at night, you need some other source of light with or without the hood light.

and even if it did only save $2 per truck, multiply that by the all the silverados and sierras sold each year and they are saving lots of money (easily over a million dollars per year) - all by eliminating a useless feature...

i have never understood why people get upset over this.  the light is useless.  it shines very little light on a small portion of the engine compartment on the drivers side.  if you truely need to do any work at all on the truck at night, you need some other source of light with or without the hood light.

and even if it did only save $2 per truck, multiply that by the all the silverados and sierras sold each year and they are saving lots of money (easily over a million dollars per year) - all by eliminating a useless feature...

I happen to like the light, and I think it helps in the dark. Like checking fluids, ect. Sure is better than no light!

i have never understood why people get upset over this.  the light is useless.  it shines very little light on a small portion of the engine compartment on the drivers side.  if you truely need to do any work at all on the truck at night, you need some other source of light with or without the hood light.

Wrong! Maybe it's useless for you, but as 99GMCZ71 said, it helps for the easy things.

No one ever suggested that the stock oem light was adequate for any serious under-the-hood work. That's a red herring argument.

I had to jump-start another vehicle off my truck over a year ago, late at night with no other source of illumination than the light, and having it there permitted me to easily clip on the jumper cables without having to hold a flashlight in my other hand. It just so happens that the jumper cable attachment points ARE on the drivers side. So the light is perfectly located to help with the things it is supposed to help with. Additionally, as 99GMCZ71 also said, the light is plenty bright enough to check fluid levels, locate belts to press on to see if their tension is correct, etc. You can even pop out a fuse to see if it's burnt if you hold the fuse up close enough.

"and even if it did only save $2 per truck, multiply that by the all the silverados and sierras sold each year and they are saving lots of money"

WTF !! Do you own stock in GM? Are you so twisted up about getting an extra dime in your dividend check that you support removing that useful feature?

If so, here's what I suggest you think about. If GM goes and removes a $2.00 part, taking it away from a $25,000 to $40,000 vehicle, then it doesn't truly help GM's bottom line at all, but only makes them look cheap, and with a contemptuous attitude toward their buyers. The loyal customers, my friend, are exactly the base that no intelligent corporation should risk p---ing off.

The light IS useful. And GM ought to be ashamed for eliminating it.

gnutruk

What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever had to check a fluid level at night or jump start anyone? This light is worth it's weight in gold. When you pay that much for a vehicle they better had not cut corners like this. Besides, you have to hold the flashlight in one hand. Why not have hands free ilumination, duh.

:seeya: easy guys - its only an underhood light. :thumbs:

i am glad that you enjoy having one - i dont find it useful for my needs. so if that means that i dont know what the hell i am talking about (sstimothy), or wtf I am talking about (gnutruk), or that I am twisted (gnutruck, again) so be it.

its just an opinion on a $2 light, take it easy guys...

Archived