Locked Out!

If it is an extended cab you can get the rear quarter window open with a screwdriver then take the role pin out of the latch and reach in and take the 2 phillips head screws out that hold the window in, careful not to break the plastic hinges when reaching in.

do you have AAA or any other emergency road service ?

AAA has free lock out service, They will dispatch a truck and cut new set of keys at no charge. Been there done that!

Take a piece of metal banding and cut off a two foot piece and make a v in the end and slide it in pointing toward the lock. When you feel the lock linkedge push to the left and or the right and that should unlock it.

Do you have power locks?

If so: You can slide a wooden wedge (shim) between the top of the door frame and the cab to shim out the door enough to slide a yard stick between the rubber seal and the door to the electric door lock and use the yardstick to operate the switch to unlock the door.

If not: Use the same process instead of a yardstick use a coat hanger and try to catch the mechanical locking mechanism and pull up to unlock.

I know it's not the safest idea in the world but you can alway's hide a spare key on top of one of the frame to body brackets. Say the one at the rear edge of the drivers door with a "hide a key". If they want in bad enough they'll get in with out bothering to lool for a key.

same thing happend to my dad 92 truck last year.

Was very simple. I had a small pocket knife. that had 2 blades on it, Used the smaller of them. put in the lock and turned, unlocked first try.

Have used this on 3 other trucks from that year, same thing works on all....kind of scary

Hmm, actually have a set of lockout tools in the basement from my days as a volunteer at the old department. I don't take them to work with me now because we don't do that many lockouts...they only give us a Slim Jim and wedge in the trunk to work with now. That works well enough though, I've got a pretty good record going despite the limited tools.

I like the wedge and using a long tool to hit the button if you can.

Archived