Passlock

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have the passlock problem with my 98 Silverado. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I preformed the TSB, but it has literly left me in the cold today during a large event at my dealership. :( Embarasing. I am considering selling the truck and buying a F-250. At this point, I think I would like to bypass the passlock system totally and for good, anyone know how do this? :jester:

Mike

Can anyone help me with this problem?  I have the passlock problem with my 98 Silverado.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  I preformed the TSB, but it has literly left me in the cold today during a large event at my dealership. :(  Embarasing.  I am considering selling the truck and buying a F-250.  At this point, I think I would like to bypass the passlock system totally and for good, anyone know how do this? :P

Mike

First =What codes do you have?

Second + F**d has a security system too. :jester:

Funny you should mention the security system in the Fords. A couple of guys I work with that have F150 and F250 have has a bunch of intermittent problems. They have had problems of it not starting and not shifting out of park because of the security system. The F150 was only 2 days old when it acted up. It just so happened that he was showing off his new truck at the time too.

Do you have a good service manual? This will help a tremendous amount in tracing where the problem is.

Can anyone help me with this problem?  I have the passlock problem with my 98 Silverado.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  I preformed the TSB, but it has literly left me in the cold today during a large event at my dealership. :(   Embarasing.  I am considering selling the truck and buying a F-250.  At this point, I think I would like to bypass the passlock system totally and for good, anyone know how do this? :jester:

Mike

Mike, do you have a remote starter or alarm system installed?

The Passlock can be disabled by a custom tuner like Wester's.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

No, no extra stuff on the ignition system.

Mike

Westers, Huh?

Taking the passlock will only leave you unprotected in event someone trys to steal your truck. Got the Helms service manual for your model year and fix it.

BTW if you get stuck somewhere you can reset it by removing the battery cable.

Are your battery cables clean and tight? This could be your problem. :(

Battery cables are clean and tight, the biggest problem is that the TSB has been performed, problem not fixed, so now, I am looking to bypass the system.  If someone wants to steal the truck, more power to them, then they can have the problems with it.

Mike

Bypassing the passlock might not fix the real problem. I suggest you find the REAL problem. Its going to haunt you later on. :(

I know it is the passlock because the security light blinks after the truck refuses to start for no reason at all. This is an intermitent problem, there is a TSB on this matter (oh yeah, once in a while, while driving, the security light pops on) The code that comes up is the security code for the TSP on the passlock system. I want to bypass this because the TSB has not worked to date. I am not worried about the truck getting stolen, it is too old to worry about (and it is well insured), but I am more worried about getting stuck in the cold or rain without transportation.

The engine cranks for about 1 second and shuts off, the security light begins flashing. there is a security code in the computer. The problem is the Passlock system, GM knows there is a problem with this but will not fix it. Their idea is to replace the ignition switch which fixes the problem temporarily. The new switch is expensive ($300 +) depending on where it is purchased. I have the TSB sitting in front of me right now, and it describes my problem. I have also had this diagnosed by several people. I would like to bypass the Passlock system, I am not worried about the truck getting stolen. The theives already know how to get around the system so that is useless. If someone wants to steal my truck, they will. The GM factory system will not stop them (I used to be a Law Enforcment Officer, the thieves can get around almost any alarm or anti-theft system out there. Your vehicle is not protected, it is just a inconvience for the thieves).

Mike

Is the key you are using to start the truck original? I hear some keys have a signal thingy built in them that tells the computer to let the truck start, with out it the computer won't let the fuel pump send any fuel, thus engine will crank, and even run till the fuel gets burnt out of the lines. Might not be the problem just a suggestion.

Archived