Synthetic oils

im4snow2000

I say no. The cost of them does not out way the savings. You may get a few (1 or 2) Hp out of them which in turn may give you better MPG. But the cost is to expensive. A SBC has been proven to run forever if taken care of. Save your money use regular oil and change it every 3000. Just my .02

Lessee here, syn oils are superior lubricants when compared to their dino counterparts. Thats a fact.

For my regimen, the cost is a wash.

When I used dino oils exclusively (used/older cars) I changed at 3K miles and used Wix filters. Say 6 qts at $2 ea and 6$ for the filter = $18 or about $6/1000 miles of use.

Now I have two new vehicles that require 12 qts total each change. Changed the factory fill a few weeks ago with 12 qts Mobil One @ $4/qt (5 qt jugs at Wally World are right at $20) plus two Wix PF59's @ $6 each = $60 total. I will change at 5000 miles - which has historically been when my driving regimen trips the GM Oil Life thingy anyway. Thus, comes to about $6/1000 miles of use per vehicle.

Better lubricating qualities, lower pour points, high temp protection, fewer times under the truck every year and the same price - - - makes sense to me.

Of course, YMMV.

:lol:

Lessee here, syn oils are superior lubricants when compared to their dino counterparts.  Thats a fact. 

For my regimen, the cost is a wash.

When I used dino oils exclusively (used/older cars) I changed at 3K miles and used Wix filters.  Say 6 qts at $2 ea and 6$ for the filter = $18 or about $6/1000 miles of use.

Now I have two new vehicles that require 12 qts total each change.  Changed the factory fill a few weeks ago with 12 qts Mobil One @ $4/qt (5 qt jugs at Wally World are right at $20) plus two Wix PF59's @ $6 each = $60 total.  I will change at 5000 miles - which has historically been when my driving regimen trips the GM Oil Life thingy anyway.  Thus, comes to about $6/1000 miles of use per vehicle.

Better lubricating qualities, lower pour points, high temp protection, fewer times under the truck every year and the same price - - - makes sense to me.

Of course, YMMV.

:cool:

:chevy:

A subject of much debate around here.  Most would say the bottom line depends on how long you intend to keep your ride and how often you like to change the oil.

I agree.

Search on here and you will find a ton of info on the use of synthetic.

One other factor is the extra expense over regular oil. Some feel it isn't an issue, while others are saving every penny just so they can make that truck payment and can't afford anything extra to put into their truck.

I feel it is worth it. Plus what I paid for this truck and my current income, I can't afford a new one for a long time so to me making it last running synthetics is just something I feel is an extra benefit.

Mobil 1 is availible most anywhere and a great price at Wal-Mart.

• 2 weeks later...
Nah, that stuff is a little to thin for my blood and overpriced.

You must be pouring the oil below freezing temperatures!!! Any oil rated 5w-30 is the same "thinness" as any other oil rated 5w-30. If it was "thiner" it wouldn't be rated 5w-30.

Synthetics flow at cold temperatures when dino oil doesn't, that's the biggest advantage. If I leased a vehicle, I wouldn't use synthetic. I own all mine and everyone gets synthetic everything.

Scheesh, your only talking the difference between a dino oil change and a synthetic oil change, about $15, 2 or 3 times a year, that's cheap insurance on your engine!!

I've just been reading a series of articles on oils. I was amazed to learn that Castrol Syntec is really a modified group three oil and not a true synthetic (group four) like Mobile 1. Castrol Syntec does not have the life expectancy of the true synthetics so you still need to change it every 3-4K miles. Red line is a true group five, which is why it costs so much more. However, unless you plan on racing, you only need Mobile 1. If anyone enough people are interested, I can scan in the article, it's pretty informative.

Hello everyone, I like this topic on syn oils. I own a 97Tahoe and I use the 10-30 Mobile 1syn. Factory suggests to use 5-30 for my truck. Is there/should there be any problems using another blend? Are there any advantages using a different blend? Any response would be greatly appreciated...THANX:)

David

I've just been reading a series of articles on oils.  I was amazed to learn that Castrol Syntec is really a modified group three oil and not a true synthetic (group four) like Mobile 1.  Castrol Syntec does not have the life expectancy of the true synthetics so you still need to change it every 3-4K miles.  Red line is a true group five, which is why it costs so much more.  However, unless you plan on racing, you only need Mobile 1.  If anyone enough people are interested, I can scan in the article, it's pretty informative.

Well that's a big let down, I just finally switched both my vehicles to synthetic, and I went with Castrol Syntec in my truck. :crackup: I guess I should change it a 3000 and switch to Mobile 1. I'm glad I put Mobil 1 in my Accord.

Let me start off saying that I am an avid user of Amsoil synthetic oil in my vehicles. No matter what forum you use the "Great oil debate" is the most debated of all posts.

Let me share my theory and I try and will keep it brief.

The main school of thought is that people feel the need to change there oil every 3000 miles regardless of using conventional or synthetic. This is the major fault to all arguements of syn versus conv.

The 3000 mile oil change was developed as a boon for the quick oil change industry.

There is not one OEM that recommends a 3000 mile oil change for normal driving conditions which 90% of us fit this category.

The 3000 mile oil change is burnt into our brains.

With that said the main economic advantage of using synthetics is extended drain intervals. With proper filtration synthetics can easily run 30,000 + miles. Yes I said 30,000 miles.

I have used this principle for years and have never has an oil related break down.

1988 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8L V6 ran 228,000 miles and was retired due to a rusted body, however the engine ran like a champ burned zero oil and still got the same MPG as it did the first year I owned it. All oil changes were at 30,000 mile intervals.

As long as you can filter the oil, synthetic oils do not lose lubricity or viscosity.

Forget that you gain MPG by using synthetics, You will save money and time using synthetics by drain interval alone. You do the math of the cost of 30,000 miles of oil changes using synthetics and Conventional.

Any vehicle I have leased gets synthetic and I get away with two oil changes during a 45,000 mile lease. There is not a dealer out there who checks oil changes records. Save your money.

I am not out to convince anyone what oil to use or how often to change your oil, But think about it sometime about how much money oil we use by following the 3000 mile oil change??

The hardest thing to do is to buy into a 30,000 mile drain interval.......

I struggled with this for a long time but it makes sence.

take it for what it is worth.

Peace out

Archived