nokian tires vs dunlop RV

8.1Texan

just put on soem nokian tires yesterday, today we got about 3" of snow up in pittsburgh. these tires are fantastic in the snow. I just wanted to comment how extremely pleased i am.

the difference between the nokians and the dunlops i just took off is the same as i experienced going from the stock to the Dunlop RVs.

highly recommend for people who have to deal with snow and do not want to switch to a snow tire.

these tires are the only all season tire rated for severe winter conditions.

now we'll see how the treadlife is. the dunlops i just took off wore out in just one year- 12,000 miles. other than that i had no beef with the dunlops, but dreadful treadwear.

8.1Texan, I never would have known you were in PA! I love my Nokian Vativas, excellent in ANY condition, wet, dry, snow, mud! I have 17,000 on mine and look as good as the day I got them. My buddy turned them onto me when I purchased my truck and began to look for replacements. After talking to about 3 people, I knew that's what I wanted.

Congrats on the purchase, you will not be disappointed!

BJ

I'm at 26K on my Vatiiva's and tread is a little over half worn. Should end up getting 40K out of them. Not bad for an $87 tire. They grip in the rain and snow better than any tire I ever had. They're starting to downgrade a little for me since the tread hit the halfway mark. But, they are still better than most tires at full tread. I would definately reccomend them to anyone and I'll be putting a new set on next fall.

8.1Texan,  I never would have known you were in PA!  I love my Nokian Vativas, excellent in ANY condition, wet, dry, snow, mud!  I have 17,000 on mine and look as good as the day I got them.  My buddy turned them onto me when I purchased my truck and began to look for replacements.  After talking to about 3 people, I knew that's what I wanted.

Congrats on the purchase, you will not be disappointed!

BJ

well, I used to live in Texas- been in PA for about 3 years now. let me tell ya...an 8.1 rear wheel drive is a disaster in the snow up here! but these tires have helped SO much.

the M+S are not sold as an all season tire, under driving conditions other than winter, their tread wears out fast and the performance is lacking. winter tires are made of rubber that is especially soft, this keeps them from being to rigid in cold temperatures. that's why people put on blizzaks or other "snow tires" when winter rolls around and then takes them off when the season is over.

every snow tire is rate for winter conditions, that is what makes them a snow tire; however, the manufacturers will tell you that you need to take those winter tires off when it is no longer winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For nice all weather tires, my local shop turned me on to:

http://www.herculestire.com/homeUS.htm

I just did a 300 mile drive (600 round trip) and these tires were great. I think they ride nicer than the Goodrich I had from COSTCO (mistake dealing with them - who puts on tires, rotates them, balances them, but doesn't do alignment!?!?!?!).

Anyway - like the highway ride. Haven't done snow yet, but usually only need all-weather and not snow tires.

From the Burgh, but now out in Cali - have a Terrible Towel license plate on my '95 Blazer!

Archived