Photo
- - - - -

using the cigarette lighter blows the fuse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 evilcrownvic

evilcrownvic

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:13 AM

i'm having this funky electrical problem with my 88 suburban. tonite i went to plug in my cell phone to charge it and the fuse controlling the cigarette lighter and the radio blew. i replaced it and it did it again. unfortunately i have no owners manual and my haynes manual is not very helpful. is this a short in the wiring or is it something else? please help.

thanks!

#2 Scgtpcpe

Scgtpcpe

Enthusiast

• 20 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 03:26 AM

Check to see if a penny jumped out of the ash tray and landed in the lighter slot. That will blow the fuse every time. :smash:
2004 Silverado 4X4 5.3 RCLB, K&N Intake, Speedliner, Remote Start, Nerf Bars, Tonneau, Ventvisors, Bug Shield and I'm not done yet....Actually, I am done. I just bought a ZX-12R Ninja. Hard to go much faster than that!!!

#3 evilcrownvic

evilcrownvic

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 03:59 AM

Check to see if a penny jumped out of the ash tray and landed in the lighter slot. That will blow the fuse every time. :smash:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'll see if that happened. thanks!

#4 ktmjim215

ktmjim215

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 07:12 AM

Plug another 12 volt accessory in the lighter and see if it still blows. It may be what you are plugging in.

#5 evilcrownvic

evilcrownvic

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

Plug another 12 volt accessory in the lighter and see if it still blows. It may be what you are plugging in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i looked all thru that plug and found nothing that shouldn't be there. and i plugged my radar detector in and the fuse blew. hmm

#6 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 10:31 AM

The fuse doesn't blow with nothing plugged in (I assume), so it's either what you're plugging in or there's a problem with the socket itself.

If the power (wiring) to the lighter was shorted to ground, it would blow the fuse as soon as you put the fuse in.

#7 evilcrownvic

evilcrownvic

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 10:46 AM

the fuse doesn't blow as soon as its replaced, just when something is plugged in. just to be sure i plugged everything that i have tried in the suburban into both of my crown vics and said devices work fine with no blown fuse.

the only thing i can think of is a bad plug or there is something else wired to that fuse :smash: :D

#8 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 11:09 AM

the only thing i can think of is a bad plug or there is something else wired to that fuse :smash:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there was something else on that circuit drawing power all the time and taking the circuit to near the capacity of the fuse, yeah, it could blow when you added an extra load. Putting in a fuse that's rated 5 amps higher than the current one should tell you if that's the problem.

#9 HaroldCallahan

HaroldCallahan

Enthusiast

• 45 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

Same thing happened to me with my 1988 GMC Suburban and cell phone adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I have been able to use other things like mini-air compressors, lights, etc in the adapter with no problem.

Never tried the cell phone a second time, but I would bet it would blow the fuse again.

Have you tried other accessories besides the cell phone in the cigarette lighter ???

#10 evilcrownvic

evilcrownvic

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:10 AM

Have you tried other accessories besides the cell phone in the cigarette lighter ???

yup. i tried

radar detector
cell phone
air compressor
magnetic light

and i'm out of fuses,lol. i'll replace it later this week(i'm broke) and i'll throw in a higher amperage fuse too. and i'll take it from there. thanks guys. you've been a big help :smash: :D

#11 evilcrownvic

evilcrownvic

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

btw, since i don't have an owners manual i really can't tell what else blows when the fuse goes. i see an electric trailer brake tho, but the light thats on it don't work i think. and heres the funky part, when i push a tape in it plays but i hear this horrrendous clicking noise and obviously theres no display on the radio.

#12 BBSilverado

BBSilverado

Enthusiast

• 927 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:18 AM

Don't just throw in a higher amperage fuse, you may start melting some wiring before the higher amp fuse gets enough current to blow and I sure you don't want any more problems :smash:
2004 Silverado LT 2500HD Reg. Cab 8.1/Allison 285 Firestone Destination's, leather Interior & full console, Nav HU w/ indash 6 disc changer K&N FIPK Warn 9000# winch, more to come
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition 5.2L 255/65R16 Goodyears

#13 asepgrad98

asepgrad98

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,284 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:20 AM

replace the socket!
2002 Silverado 5.3L 2WD Ext. cab
Escalade door handles
Amber DRLs
15.61@87mph stock

#14 mcreyaufmiller

mcreyaufmiller

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,521 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:23 AM

I concur, replace the socket
Mike C.

Posted Image

2009 Suburban LTZ, 1970 C10 (Long term project), 1998 Silverado 2wd extended cab
Steve Ashworth Signature 383 Stroker, K&N FIPK II, True Dual Flowmasters, Thorley Tri-Y Headers, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Wait4me performance custom tune, MSD 6A Ignition, MSD Coil, MSD Superconductor Wires, SSBC Front 6 piston, rear 2 Piston Disc Brakes, Front and Rear Helwig Sway Bars. Eaton Posi, Complete MOOG Front End Rebuild
Wait4meperformance, Stainless Steel Brakes

#15 budhayes3

budhayes3

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,505 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 12:37 PM

Yea, sounds like the socket assembly is shorting when an accessory is plugged into it. You definitely don't want to just throw a larger fuse in there, that's a good way to let the smoke out of your wiring harness. :smash:
Posted Image
My CarDomain Page
5.3 Z71 RC/SB - Comp 206/212 .515/.520 114, 02 LS6 Springs, Harland Sharp 1.7:1's, 02 PCMforLess PCM, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air, StainlessWorks LT's and catted Y-pipe, Gibson Single in Dual out, 05 e-fans, 34" radiator, 160*stat, PermaCool trans cooler, 3.73 G80, TA Rear Diff Girdle, Belltech 2" lowering keys, Belltech 2" Drop Shackles, 2" 4x4 Lift Blocks Removed, Joe Gibbs 20's w/ Toyo Proxes 285/50's

Advertise Here