using the cigarette lighter blows the fuse

i'm having this funky electrical problem with my 88 suburban. tonite i went to plug in my cell phone to charge it and the fuse controlling the cigarette lighter and the radio blew. i replaced it and it did it again. unfortunately i have no owners manual and my haynes manual is not very helpful. is this a short in the wiring or is it something else? please help.

thanks!

The fuse doesn't blow with nothing plugged in (I assume), so it's either what you're plugging in or there's a problem with the socket itself.

If the power (wiring) to the lighter was shorted to ground, it would blow the fuse as soon as you put the fuse in.

the fuse doesn't blow as soon as its replaced, just when something is plugged in. just to be sure i plugged everything that i have tried in the suburban into both of my crown vics and said devices work fine with no blown fuse.

the only thing i can think of is a bad plug or there is something else wired to that fuse :smash::D

the only thing i can think of is a bad plug or there is something else wired to that fuse :smash:  :D

If there was something else on that circuit drawing power all the time and taking the circuit to near the capacity of the fuse, yeah, it could blow when you added an extra load. Putting in a fuse that's rated 5 amps higher than the current one should tell you if that's the problem.

Same thing happened to me with my 1988 GMC Suburban and cell phone adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I have been able to use other things like mini-air compressors, lights, etc in the adapter with no problem.

Never tried the cell phone a second time, but I would bet it would blow the fuse again.

Have you tried other accessories besides the cell phone in the cigarette lighter ???

Have you tried other accessories besides the cell phone in the cigarette lighter ???

yup. i tried

radar detector

cell phone

air compressor

magnetic light

and i'm out of fuses,lol. i'll replace it later this week(i'm broke) and i'll throw in a higher amperage fuse too. and i'll take it from there. thanks guys. you've been a big help :smash::D

btw, since i don't have an owners manual i really can't tell what else blows when the fuse goes. i see an electric trailer brake tho, but the light thats on it don't work i think. and heres the funky part, when i push a tape in it plays but i hear this horrrendous clicking noise and obviously theres no display on the radio.

Archived