Want to increase tire height

Greetings. I'm looking at increasing the overall height of my wheel / tire combination on my '01 Blazer extreme from 27" height to 28". I'm told this may affect my vehicle speed sensor in a negative way, i.e. ABS system, etc. Has anyone done this successfully without problems? Stock tire is 235/60-16, want to go to 255/55-18, with new rims, of course!

I can tell you this from experience, if the over all height on the tire ends up being taller than original, then your speedo will be off ,indicating your going slower than you really are. on the other hand, if the tire is shorter ,than it will indicate your going faster, if you go with the taller ones, I would imagine you would gain better gas mileage on the highway and vice versa, if you go smaller. good luck :thumbs:

Thanks for the response, guys. I heard something about the ABS going crazy because the vehicle speed sensor doesn't agree with the slower rotation of the wheel, therefore causing problems..........?? Has anyone successfully increased the height of their tires without any problems?

Now that's something I didn't consider. It does make sense with more mass, inertia etc. Obviously the speedometer will be off as well. I think the difference in rollout over 1 mile traveled was something like 30 wheel revolutions.

Do you notice any sluggishness when you pull away from a light?

My reasoning exactly. I hit a small pipe lid in the street and taco'd a wheel on a '92 Corvette I had right after I had the wheels chromed. And that was with the original factory tire size. A little more sidewall would have given the wheel some cushion.

Archived