Door won't stay shut !

Need some help ! my son has a 1994 chevy ext. cab 1/2 ton , the prob. that he is haveing now is the drivers door will come open on him as he is driveing down the road ! (just a little scarry !) if he keeps it locked it doesn't open up . but what i need to know is , is it the door latch on the door jam or is it the complet door latch thats inside the door ? he asked his autoshop teacher and all he told him to do spray it up ! and this has not worked and as this is the drivers side door i would like to get this fixed ASAP, I thank you for any help you guys can give us ! P.S. this is a great site !!! :thumbs:

Need some help !  my son has a 1994 chevy ext. cab 1/2 ton , the prob. that he is haveing now is the drivers door will come open on him as he is driveing down the road ! (just a little scarry !) if he keeps it locked it doesn't open up . but what i need to know is , is it the door latch on the door jam or is it the complet door latch thats inside the door ?  he asked his autoshop teacher and all he told him to do spray it up ! and this has not worked and as this is the drivers side door i would like to get this fixed ASAP,  I thank you for any help you guys can give us !  P.S. this is a great site !!! :thumbs:

Open the door and lift on the end. Is there any play? Most likely the truck needs new hinge pins.

If that doesn't fix it try a new latch, door side. I have never seen a striker wear out, I have seen them get bent before though.

Look at for pin wear and also check the latch. If it is the pins are worn, the door can be adjusted, if the latch is bent, it can be replaced or out of adjustment, it can be adjusted. If none of this works slam it harder, if this does not work, buy him a tie down and let him hook it to the passengers side door. Just kidding.

Hi guys , i have looked at the stricker when he first told me about it and all looks good even the latch looks good ! i not sure what is really going on, i do know that if he locks it , it seems to stay shut so that would make me think it must be in the latch . even his autoshop teacher doesn't know why this is happening , he's only had the truck about 8months and he had it for at least 2 months before this started to happen, i did ask him before if he had ever shut the seat belt or ? in the door and he said no, so do you guys think its the latch? would like to get this fixed before something happens! thanks! :chevy::D

I'd pull the door panel and check the latch and all of the rods attached to it. Make sure that there aren't any bent rods acting on the latch as if to open it. I had a similar problem with my 85 Monte that turned out to be frozen grease. Door opened, but the latch wouldn't return to the proper position when I went to shut it because it was frozen.

Try cleaning the latch real good with gum cutter or some type of grease remover, like carb clean, then re-lube with something other than wd40 (dirt collector), I had the same thing on my wifes 88 fiero and it was just an extremely dirty latch mechanism. Sprayed it good numerous times with carb cleaner, then lubed with silicone spray and its good to go, just watch the carb clean on the paint, it may damage it! good luck. It probably closes just far enough that when you lock it, the latch can't operate,and holds it, but unlocked, it can pop open with a very little pressure.

Smitty

Need some help !  my son has a 1994 chevy ext. cab 1/2 ton , the prob. that he is haveing now is the drivers door will come open on him as he is driveing down the road ! (just a little scarry !) if he keeps it locked it doesn't open up . but what i need to know is , is it the door latch on the door jam or is it the complet door latch thats inside the door ?  he asked his autoshop teacher and all he told him to do spray it up ! and this has not worked and as this is the drivers side door i would like to get this fixed ASAP,  I thank you for any help you guys can give us !  P.S. this is a great site !!! :chevy:

Semperfi is on the right track! Same thing happened to me on my S-10. Boy what a mean little 4x4!! The latch was gummed up and the latch "finger" :chevy: was bent a little. When the door was closed it would not complete it's rotation. The locking mechanism would make sure the latch finger did not move, but if left unlocked could still open. Especially when driving cause the bumps exerted a force allowing that finger to open easier. Try yanking the latch mechanism and clean/inspect the $h!t out of it. Worked for me...good luck.

Archived