Keyless remote programing!!!!!!

I recently bought a 1998 GMC Jimmy and the dealer i bought it from didn't have the remote controle for the doors and he gave me one he had in stock .

He told me that i had to go to the dealer to get it programed but i found on the net that its possible to programe it our self,

The only way i found info for is the one that you have to press on the unlock button on your door panel and turn the key on anf off a couplr times but it doesn,t work for my 1998 . any one knows the right way to do it on a 98 model ????

please help me out

I recently bought an '02 Envoy with that same problem.

My salesman accessed the internet, printed the instructions out, we programmed the new remote together, then he handed me the instructions and told me to keep them, but that I didn't get them from him. Now I can't find them, although they are here somewhere. I tried to access the website, but apparently its a members only requiring a password.

A few weeks ago a link was posted here that led to some good bulletin stuff, but right now it is dead: http://www.sourcenet.ca:9001/servlets/Home

As I recall the procedures required you to perform the activation procedures in a sequence of events that are near impossible to guess at, turn the ignition off and on and off and on while manipulating buttons on the dash.

I'd say your best hope is with your salesman accessing the Dealers internet. He's going to have to end-around the service people, which is probably an $80 computer accessing fee... but hey, he GAVE you a $60.00 remote, which my salesguy couldn't, because my vehicle was a GMC and I bought at a Chevy place.

Or so they say... :wtf:

I recently bought a 1998 GMC Jimmy and the dealer i bought it from didn't have the remote controle for the doors and he gave me one he had in stock .

He told me that i had to go to the dealer to get it programed but i found on the net that its possible to programe it our self,

The only way i found info for is the one that you have to press on the unlock button on your door panel and turn the key on anf off a couplr times but it doesn,t work for my 1998 . any one knows the right way to do it on a 98 model ????

please help me out

please help me out

Here you go, Hope this will help you out..

Transmitter Programming

Important

Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the system. On 1998 S/T pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number.

With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode:

Locking the doors

Unlocking the doors

Important

All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, it will deactivate the old transmitters.

Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner:

Locking the doors.

Unlocking the doors.

Repeat step 7 for each additional transmitter.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

In order to reprogram the remote control door lock transmitter with a scan tool, refer to Scan Tool instructions.

please help me out

Transmitter Programming

Important

Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the system. On 1998 S/T pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number.

With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.

Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode:

Locking the doors

Unlocking the doors

Important

All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, it will deactivate the old transmitters.

Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner:

Locking the doors.

Unlocking the doors.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

In order to reprogram the remote control door lock transmitter with a scan tool, refer to Scan Tool instructions.

Sylverado tks but as i was saying that trick doesn't work on my Jimmy , i even changed the battery in de remote to make sure but still no resond from the receiver (door doesn't lock and unlock) so there must be another way for the year of my truck

just can't find anything

tks anyway

meo

please help me out

Transmitter Programming

Important

Locking the doors

Unlocking the doors

Important

Locking the doors.

Unlocking the doors.

Sylverado tks but as i was saying that trick doesn't work on my Jimmy , i even changed the battery in de remote to make sure but still no resond from the receiver (door doesn't lock and unlock) so there must be another way for the year of my truck

just can't find anything

tks anyway

meo

this is the info that shows in the GM Service Manual for Your 98 Jimmy... I would look into other things being the issue.. fuse? wires? so on..

The dealer should be able to hook up to a scan tool and see if all is good.. Also why did he not have any remotes? maybe an issue not told?

Then this may sound silly but are you sure the Jimmy is fitted with Keyless Entry?

ALSO

Important

Tried to help anyway.. Good Luck..

Here is another set of instructions for a 98 Jimmy Maybe these will set you up? worth a try..

Transmitter Programming

Ground pin 4 to pin 8 of the data link connector (DLC). The receiver will respond as follows:

The doors will lock and unlock within 2 seconds.

The liftgate window release (E54) will be activated within 2 seconds.

Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on one of the transmitters until the locks cycle. This will take approximately 10 seconds. The receiver will respond as follows:

Do not wait more then 60 seconds between transmitters or the receiver will exit the programming mode.

Repeat step 2 for each transmitter, four transmitter can be programed to this vehicle.

Remove the jumper wire from the DLC.

Verify that the RKE is functioning correctly:

Lock and unlock the doors.

Activate the liftgate window (E54).

• 2 weeks later...

Tks !!!! i'll try the jumping trick of pin 4 and 8 and give you news on how it went.

i'm just gonna look for scematics of the proms to see for the location of 4 and 8 on the conector and i'll try it .

Tks for every things i appreciate it .

Meo1

• 2 years later...

please help me out

I have the same issue. The instructions posted here don't work for my '01 Jimmy either. A local GM dealer told me there is a good possibility the remote that I have isn't compatible with the receiver that's in my vehicle. He said there are two different receivers that were used and, thus, you need to have the remote that is compatible with that receiver. In order to resolve this, you need to get the number off the receiver and then get the remote that's compatible with that receiver.

Here is another set of instructions for a 98 Jimmy Maybe these will set you up? worth a try..

Transmitter Programming

Ground pin 4 to pin 8 of the data link connector (DLC). The receiver will respond as follows:

Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on one of the transmitters until the locks cycle. This will take approximately 10 seconds. The receiver will respond as follows:

Do not wait more then 60 seconds between transmitters or the receiver will exit the programming mode.

Repeat step 2 for each transmitter, four transmitter can be programed to this vehicle.

this one worked for me,

• 2 weeks later...

What is the DLC and where is it?

Thanks.

Transmitter Programming

this one worked for me,

Archived