60,000 mile service

Does anyone have a list of what needs to be done at 60,000 service ?

Depends on what you have dont up to now and driving conditions. Would also help if you told us about the vehicle. Some things to consider:

Transmission filter and flush

Change both diffs (if 4x4)

Change transfer case fluid

Plugs (after 100K, plugs can be near impossible to remove)

Plug wires

Inspect brakes

Brake fluid flush

Coolant flush ( I don't believe in 150K coolant so I cange more often)

Chassis grease

Shocks (mine were toast at 50K)

Power Steering fluid change (I use turkey baster to empty res and refill)

Serpentine belts (I have one for accessories and one for AC

Belt tensioners (replace if they get noisy. Don't want a belt to go too far from home)

Just my opinion but it really depends more on your prior maintenance, driving conditions, and driving habits. Also depends on how anal you are about maintenance. I prefer to do everything a little early versus waiting for a failure. I'm at 140K and truck still runs like a champ and has never let me down.

I'd do everything that Bish listed, plus the air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter, and cabin filter (if equipped). It never hurts to clean the throttle body and do a top end cleaning with Seafoam too.

Yep, good call on the others. I change my fuel filter every 1000 miles. My cabin filters were NASTY at that mileage. I also do a top end cleaning but every 25K.

From the Haynes manual: Change manual tranny fluid, xfer case lube and diff lube. Inspect EGR valve and replace PCV valve.

From the GMC Owners manual: Change cabin air filters (if you have them), replace fuel filter, rotate tires, inspect a bunch of stuff including the EGR valve.

Haynes service schedules are different from GM because they are geared for the shadetree mechanic while GM is geared toward bringing it in to the dealer.

At 60,000 I would consider tranny fluid and filter service if it wasn't done at 50,000 and don't forget the oil/filter/lube.

When I bought my 1999 Sierra used, I did not have the service records for the truck, so I did everything in the Haynes book just to give me a starting point.

I like the Haynes schedule better because it is more of a progressive maintenance approach that fits doing it myself.

IMHO, if you are not sure of the service history, it is better to do too much than skip something. I don't know your truck's service history or usage so these are just suggestions.

Archived