Gross vehicle weight?

Good Morning! I got a reply from the Pa DOT regarding the registration of my 1500HD. They need to know the following, can any of you give me a clue as to what these values might be?

From the cover letter:

Requested Gross Wieght -

Gross Weight Rating -

Unladen Weight -

Items check marked on registration form form :

Requested Registered Gross Weight(including load) -

Unladen Weight empty -

Some of these might be the same weights - I'm guessing?

Why in the world do they need this info on a pick up truck?

TIA :cry:

don't know about your state's requirements but it's 8600GVWR for that model.

unladen must be dryweight, but you might find some of that data on gm's website?

Good Morning!  I got a reply from the Pa DOT regarding the registration of my 1500HD.  They need to know the following, can any of you give me a clue as to what these values might be?

From the cover letter:

Requested Gross Wieght -

Gross Weight Rating -

Unladen Weight -

Unladen Weight empty -

TIA  :cry:

Good Morning!  I got a reply from the Pa DOT regarding the registration of my 1500HD.  They need to know the following, can any of you give me a clue as to what these values might be?

From the cover letter:

Requested Gross Wieght -

Gross Weight Rating -

Unladen Weight -

Unladen Weight empty -

I dont know the law in your state but if this truck is used for personal not commercial business there shouldnt be a problem. Did you buy this truck new? Your title should be sufficent info for personal use. Commercial use will require different info including actual unloaded weight.

From the cover letter:

Requested Gross Wieght -

Gross Weight Rating -

Unladen Weight -

Unladen Weight empty -

In NY the registration fee is based on the GVW. The more it weighs the more you pay. Something about road wear related to weight.

In NY the registration fee is based on the GVW. The more it weighs the more you pay. Something about road wear related to weight.

Well if they want the weight than they should be happy with the title weight. In Michigan they do the same but never ask how much it weighs since they have a copy of the title or registration that has the vehicle weight on it.

Well if they want the weight than they should be happy with the title weight. In Michigan they do the same but never ask how much it weighs since they have a copy of the title or registration that has the vehicle weight on it.

NY does that now. We used to be able to register for a lower weight if we wanted. If you had a 9200GVW you could reg for say 8000. If you got weighed with 8200 you could be fined for overload on a 9200 truck. Not many PU getting weighed so everyone registered light now you have no choice but to reg the GVW. Maybe PA still lets you chose your weight (ie requested GVW.)

NY does that now. We used to be able to register for a lower weight if we wanted. If you had a 9200GVW you could reg for say 8000. If you got weighed with 8200 you could be fined for overload on a 9200 truck. Not many PU getting weighed so everyone registered light now you have no choice but to reg the GVW. Maybe PA still lets you chose your weight (ie requested GVW.)

PA will let you choose a weight class but they will only allow you to drop one weight class from the factory GVW

what they want to know is:

1. empty weight of the truck (you don't have to weigh it, just use GM's specs)

2. allowable rated weight, GVWR (what GM rated it at-see sticker on door)

3. what weight class you choose to register it at (on a 9200# truck the lowest you can register at is 7000# in PA)

Your 1500HD is 8600# GVWR (PA DOT knows this)

your unladen weight is 5500# approx.

you can register it 6200# through 8600# (I would go with 7000# if you don't haul more than 1200-1500lbs. 7000 is $81 for registration)

FYI: In NY when you register a pickup truck NY "suggests"

that you add 1000 lbs. to the trucks dry weight when you

register it for stuff you MIGHT carry in it.

Of course it costs you more !

I have my 04 2500 registered as 5500 lbs. on the reg.

instead of the 6300 lbs. NY "suggests".

The truck weighs 5283 lbs. dry. I took it to a scale and

had it weighed.

Under new NY rules if the truck weighs under 5000? lbs. it

may be registered as a car with passenger plates instead

of commercial ones...................geo

The dealer processed my weight sticker. I have a weight class 2, unladen weight: 5500 GVW of 7000. I feel this should be the right weight class even though the numbers don't jive with the factory specs because I see almost every 2500HD and 3500 (both 1 tons) with weight class 3 stickers.

Archived