stupid question about windshield wipers...

i have an '05 silverado and washed it by hand for the first time this past week (before i've just been taking it to the car wash because i didn't have time to do it myself). i noticed one thing about the windshield wipers: they don't seem to pop up like the wipers on every other car. my father had a '96 Tahoe and a '02 Envoy that didn't have this problem, has GM changed their truck wipers up recently?

i feel like a complete idiot asking this, but there has to be a trick to this somehow...

Not a stupid question but the answer is, quite simply, they don't fold out. The best you can do is start the wipers and then shut the key off when they're up higher on the window. I too was somewhat puzzled when I ditched my '98 S-10 for my '03 Silverado. The S-10's wipers could be hinged out for washing the the Silverado's don't.

ok good so it's not just me. i didn't think to turn the truck off with the wipers going until after i'd already done it the hard way and washed underneath them. i wonder why they did that for this generation of truck...

My 01 folded out, but this must have been a part of the 03 redesign. It looks like if the wiper arm folded like on the 99-02 trucks that it would hit the lip of the hood next to the cowl. This is one of those things I miss about my old truck. Washing that windshield was much easier than on the new truck. Back in the good old days (70-80's) all the American vehicles at least all the Ford and GM vehicles I knew about had these non folding wiper arms. Who says you can't go back?

anyone know if the 02 wiper arms swap out?  Dont those fold out?

I have an '02 truck, and the wiper arms swing all the way forward for easy washing. I think all the NBS trucks, 99 - 05, use the same splined wiper peg, so phone around your local wrecking yards.

It's an easy removal getting the wiper arm off. EXCEPT for the d*** fluid hose. That thing is on so tight on the fitting you'll be tempted to cut it off. DON'T cut it, however, because it'll be too short afterward.

Hope this helps.

gnutruk

They don't fold out because GM is cutting corners - "value engineering" as the suits call it. Next thing you'll know they'll remove the light under the hood and glove box.....d**n, I'm too late, they've struck again!

They don't fold out because GM is cutting corners - "value engineering" as the suits call it. Next thing you'll know they'll remove the light under the hood and glove box.....d**n, I'm too late, they've struck again!

They already took out the cabin filter, the hood light, the locks on the console and glovebox, the lock mechanism in the cargo area, The speaker in the rear cargo, they guit giving you that neat "kit" with stuff in it for the road> Cheap a##holes. But, at least they gave us that obnoxious clanging bell chime to drive you completely nuts.

I missed those too. All the Chevy's I've owned for the past ten years have had the swing-out arms on them except for my '04 Silverado. Replacing the current parts with the parts for a 99-02 is one of those things I've been wanting to look into.

Another 03 upgrade/downgrade. For every new bell or whistle they added, they deleted two. It has been almost two years since I traded the 99 for the 03 and it seems like I run into a deletion once a month. Most of the deletions are not necessarilly upgrades, but quality items that are really missed when you think about it. I started to make a list one day and I just never posted it.

Door trim shortened

Locking spare not standard equipment

No underhood light

No interior floor lighting

No locking center console

No adjustable headrests

No incabin air filter

No glove box light

No passenger side lock cylinder(04')

No velour door panels(04')

Radio controlled chime module

Half cocked ash tray(now an option), even though I don't smoke

One less 12V accesory port in dash

No full overhead console

No hanger hooks in crew cab rear area

Cheap painted stereo buttons(have had stereo replaced twice for paint falling off)

No series designation badging on half tons

No chrome inserts on sideview mirrors

Feel free to add the ones I left out. They did add alot of creature comfort, I not complaining. But it did cost us a price, and I'm definately sure GM did not put a refund for these options on the sticker price.

Before you guys go crazy with the 99-02 wiper arms on the 03+ trucks, look at the drivers side wiper arm. Maybe it's just me, but looks like it would hit the back part of the hood if it pivoted up where the 99-02 wiper arms did. If someone gets this swap out to work, let me (us) know cause I'd like to clean the windshield without all the hastle.

vroten :flag:

Archived