Photo
- - - - -

Pos or neg Ground?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 VisualFX

VisualFX

Enthusiast

• 557 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to determine if your vehicle is Positive or Negative Grounded? I got a 2004 Silverado and Im not sure which type it is. My 99 Silverado I believe was Negative Ground. Thanks in advance...
2004 Silverado LT Extended Cab, Black
5.3L V8
4 Wheel Drive

Mods
-Magnaflow Catback Kit #15792
-Line-X Spray In Liner
-VentShield Visors
-Step Shield Sill Plates
-Bugflector II Bug Shield
-Removed 4x4 Graphics on Bed
-Removed Side Moulding on Cab
-Tinted Side Windows

Future Mods:....Lighting....Possibly Air Intake

#2 Cool Zr2

Cool Zr2

Enthusiast

• 868 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:41 PM

negative ground.
On order, 2013 LT Crew 6.2, Leather, Z71 Appearance Package, 22inch CK916 rims
2011 LTZ Suburban, White Diamond, 22" 8 spoke rims

2012 Coachman Sportscoach 42' Cummins Diesel Pusher

#3 71GMC_3/4T

71GMC_3/4T

Enthusiast

• 483 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:43 PM

Pretty much anything you find nowadays is negative ground.

You'd have to go waaaay back in years to find positive gnd. I think there were some tractors, and possibly old cars/trucks that had pos gnd, and they were usually back in the 6 volt battery era.

How to determine?
Use a voltmeter to measure from a metal part of your chassis to the + terminal. If you read +12V, you have negative ground. If you read nothing, measure to the - terminal. If you read -12V, you have positive ground.
Another way is to follow the cables from the battery to where they connect. If the - cable attaches to the engine block, it is negative ground.
2003 K2500HD Crew Cab. Dark Carmine Red. 6.0, 4.10, Westin step bars, Michelin LTX, Fold-A-Cover
1971 GMC C2500. Blue/White. 402/TH400/4.10

#4 VisualFX

VisualFX

Enthusiast

• 557 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:45 PM

Thanks alot for the quick answers. Apparently I'm not thinking today so forgive my ignorance :flag:
5.3L V8
4 Wheel Drive

Mods
-Line-X Spray In Liner
-VentShield Visors
-Step Shield Sill Plates
-Tinted Side Windows

#5 sstimothy

sstimothy

Enthusiast

• 822 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

I am under the impression that every type of vehicle on the market is negative grounded. I think back in the "old days" there were vehicles equipped with posative grounded systems. Every car battery I have ever seen is grounded on the negative side. Sure posative grounding works on DC application, you just get a "negative voltage". It just reverses the polarity. I don't know if there is an advantage to either, just industry standard. I am trying to remember through all of the beer drinking days of college to my very first semester when I had actual DC theory, so I could be wrong. :D
Posted Image
06' Chevrolet Crew Cab, LT3, LBZ Dmax/Allison, 4X4
Black w/light grey interior
G80, skid plate package, towing package, sunroof, DVD, camper mirrors, 5th wheel wiring, winter covers, etc...etc...
16X8 VERDE "Boxer" Crome Plated Alloys w/Bridgestone Dueler REVO 2, 285/75 R16's

#6 VisualFX

VisualFX

Enthusiast

• 557 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

I failed AC/DC Electronics so....I cant go by that lol. Just all the emergency lights and siren manuals all have sections dependent upon if its positive or a negatively grounded vehicle. Just wantm_reo make sure of the difference.
5.3L V8
4 Wheel Drive

Mods
-Line-X Spray In Liner
-VentShield Visors
-Step Shield Sill Plates
-Tinted Side Windows

#7 sstimothy

sstimothy

Enthusiast

• 822 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

I am under the impression that every type of vehicle on the market is negative grounded.  I think back in the "old days" there were vehicles equipped with posative grounded systems.  Every car battery I have ever seen is grounded  on the negative side.  Sure posative grounding works on DC application, you just get a "negative voltage".  It just reverses the polarity.  I don't know if there is an advantage to either, just industry standard.  I am trying to remember through all of the beer drinking days of college to my very first semester when I had actual DC theory, so I could be wrong. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

71 GMC 3/4T
We must have been posting at the same time, because I pretty much repeated what you explained. Anyways, at least I have somebody agreeing with me. :cool:
Posted Image
06' Chevrolet Crew Cab, LT3, LBZ Dmax/Allison, 4X4
Black w/light grey interior
G80, skid plate package, towing package, sunroof, DVD, camper mirrors, 5th wheel wiring, winter covers, etc...etc...
16X8 VERDE "Boxer" Crome Plated Alloys w/Bridgestone Dueler REVO 2, 285/75 R16's

Advertise Here