S-10 Tailgate Cable Recall

Someone borrowing my son's '02 S-10 dropped the tailgate and both cables snapped. I'm getting the truck back today and want to get it fixed for him before he gets back from Iraq next weekend. Did Chevy ever go through with the S-10 recall on tailgate cables so I can get these replaced for free?

Update:

There has been no S-10 recall on tailgate cables. In '02, GM redesigned the tailgate latch and the cable is no longer available by itself. The cable is attached to the latching plate. '01 cables are $13 each at Murray's. '02 cables and latching plates are $60 each side at one Chevy dealer and $40 each at another. Ouch! I'll see if I can easily drill out the current cable retainer. If not, the guy who dropped the tailgate is paying, so I'll stop at the $40 Chevy dealer on Monday.

Interesting... Has anyone else replaced just the cable on a recent S-10? It looks like it may be possible to clamp the latchplate in a vice and grind off the fastener with a dremel to remove the cable.

Oops, forget that idea. I ground off the outside retainer and the cable popped off, but the pin is welded into the latchplate. I ground off the inside retainer and it's still staying put.

Replacing the two latchplates took about an hour for this rank amateur. That included removing and replacing the pop & lock. Total cost was about $77 for the parts plus a set of torx sockets to get the T40 I didn't have.

Interesting...  Has anyone else replaced just the cable on a recent S-10?  It looks like it may be possible to clamp the latchplate in a vice and grind off the fastener with a dremel to remove the cable.

Oops, forget that idea.  I ground off the outside retainer and the cable popped off, but the pin is welded into the latchplate.  I ground off the inside retainer and it's still staying put.

Replacing the two latchplates took about an hour for this rank amateur.  That included removing and replacing the pop & lock.  Total cost was about $77 for the parts plus a set of torx sockets to get the T40 I didn't have.

NHTSA Is investingating the issue. I will find the link.

• 4 weeks later...

You can easily check for any recall on any vehicle by going to www.NHTSa.dot/gov

just go to the vehicle section & by filling in the information on the vehicle you can

not only see the recalls but can review the documentation between the manufacturer and the government, including a detail on the solution. :D

• 3 weeks later...

It takes more than 3 months for them to formalize a recall. Look at it this way, they need to ramp up production of the new parts and get dealers stocked for the rush of people that come in wanting the repair done as soon as the recall is announced.

They're also not going to do a recall based on one person's complaint, regardless of how many people that one person SAYS have had the same problem.

Archived