automatic door locks

industrial

Question

I have a 2005 GMC 2500 HD & I just have to find a way to disconnect them. I understand it was a law that was implemented at the end of 2004. There has to be a real smart guy out there that can help all of us out that can`t deal with the powers that be that tell us our doors have to automatically lock. This is just crazy! :uhoh:

Thank you in advance.

0 answers to this question

Don't take this the wrong way...But I just don't see why some people get so "unlocked" about this feature.

I can think of very few situations where you would need to be driving with a door open. And that button isn't hard to press at all, when it comes time to do it.

I actually kind of like the auto-lock feature.

But to each his own.

Do a search on the board here, it's been discussed. :cheers:

Why would I want my doors to lock automatically. I hope there is not a time when you get in a accident & your doors are locked & your stuck or god forbid knocked out but i guess they could break the window. In this controlling world we live in we should have the option of locking them ourselves or for people like you that like to push buttons just so you can get out of your car you can have that option. What ever turns your skirt i just think it's ridiculus. I suppose your one of those people that need to have one of those annoying door chimes to let you know that you left your keys in the ignition or my golly i didn`t close my door all the way. So for all of us that can think for ourselves i hope someone out there can help me out.

Pull the fuse and wire in a switch.  Use an inline fuse holder to replace the fuse you are removing.  Put the new fuse in series with the switch.

Two positions for the switch - Bypass, and "the way GM wanted it".

Yeah, it's a pain, but it should work!

Apparently you havent read all the posts from GM-Tech. It's intergrated into the vehicle and just pulling the fuse isnt an option. My research is there isnt a fuse for the power locks.

Liability is the biggest problem all manufactures have not just auto. One big on GM had years ago was accidents and blameing GM that the vehicle was at fault. In response to many lawsuits GM designed the SDM and ended most frivolous suits. Now you have black boxes/SDM's.

Less suing and taking responsibility for your actions are the answer. Look for many more auto MFR's to follow.

:cheers:

I raise this each time the auto-lock discussion comes up... Has anyone investigated going to an aftermarket alarm / keyless entry system? Would installing this, bypassing the factory locking system, solve the problem?

If the auto-lock issue is a paramount issue, I would certainly invest a bit and do this, if it would work. I know it would be under $200.

Yup, that was the notice I got.

Another classic case of some pencil pusher in a cubicle fixing something that wasn't broken and doesn't ever have to deal with the public when the complaints start arriving.

Does no good to blame tech's at the dealership, they can only work with what they are given.

Not to belittle salesman too much, but the kid I had to work with had no idea what "big block" ment or "4:10 running gear". I can't expect them to know about some minor reprogramming when he's more concerned about the "cool pinstriping" that my new truck came with.

I'm hoping that after a year or so GM will tell the dealerships how to put that option back in the programming.

Cracks me up about "safety concern". Hmmm, so does this mean GM is not concerned about my safety when I drive my patrol truck with manual door locks? I certainly drive that one harder and faster than I ever will my personal truck. :chevy:

:banghead:

The locking and unlocking of the doors is not a simple process that can be thwarted by simply removing a wire. Adding an aftermarket system would probably not help because they typically are set up to use existing systems in the vehicle to activate the actuators.

There are so many modules involved and so many signals, it's not something I would want to attempt to override. Here's the "Description and Operation" of the power locks. This covers utilities too, so just ignore the part about cargo doors and hatches if it doesn't apply. The rest is basically the same...

---------------------

Power Door Locks Description and Operation

Door Lock System Components

The power door lock system consists of the following components:

The driver door module (DDM)

The passenger door module (PDM)

The body control module (BCM)

The driver information center (DIC)

The rear door lock switch

The door lock relay

The door unlock relay

The liftgate lock relay--utility vehicles with liftgate only

The reversible door lock actuators in each of the doors and liftgate

LOCKS 20A fuse (rear lock/unlock relay supply voltage)

ECC 10A fuse (liftgate lock relay supply voltage)

Door Lock System Controls

The power door lock system can be controlled by any of the following:

A power door lock or unlock switch activation

A keyless entry transmission

An automatic door lock function

A delay lock function

Door lock cylinder switch activation

Lockout Prevention

An airbag deployment

Driver, Passenger and Cargo Door Lock System Operation

The front power door lock switches are integral components of the driver door module (DDM) and passenger door module (PDM). The switches are two position normally open rocker switches. When placed in either the lock or unlock positions, the switches provide a direct input to the DDM or PDM. The DDM or PDM monitors these inputs and sends a Class 2 message indicating a change in the switch's respective position. Modules which activate the power door lock motors receive the Class 2 message and activate the motor in the appropriate direction to lock or unlock the vehicle's doors and liftgate. The rear door lock switch provides a lock and unlock signal to the body control module (BCM). The BCM upon receipt of a lock or unlock signal will control the rear door lock relays and also send a Class 2 message to the DDM and PDM to perform the appropriate function.

The modules which activate the power lock motors are:

The DDM (driver door lock actuator).

The PDM (passenger front door lock actuator).

The BCM (both rear door lock actuators and cargo door/liftgate).

The DDM and PDM are directly connected to the respective door lock actuator through the door lock motor lock and unlock circuits. Once a door lock or unlock request has been received, the module will supply battery voltage to one side of the actuator and ground the other causing the doors to lock or unlock.

The rear passenger and cargo doors differ slightly in that they use lock and unlock relays. The relays supply and coil sides receive a constant voltage through the battery voltage supply circuit. The normally closed contacts are connected to ground and the control side is connected to the BCM. Once a door lock or unlock request has been received by the BCM, the BCM will ground the control side of the appropriate relay. This energizes the relay and allows voltage to be applied to either the door lock motor lock or unlock circuits. since the other side of the door lock actuator is connected to the normally closed contacts of the opposing relay to ground, the doors lock or unlock.

Liftgate Locking Operation

The liftgate will lock any time the vehicle is shifted out of park on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and at vehicle speeds exceeding 5 kph with manual transmission. This happens in conjunction with auto door locks if enabled or independently of auto door locks if the feature is disabled. This ensures that the liftgate is locked anytime the vehicle is shifted out of park or when the vehicle is in motion.

The liftgate lock relay supply and coil sides receive a constant voltage through the battery voltage supply circuit and the ECC fuse. The normally closed contact is connected to ground and the control side is connected to the body control module (BCM). A lock function will occur when a door lock switch activation, keyless entry lock transmission, auto door lock function or a liftgate lock function has been received by the BCM. The BCM will then ground the control side of the liftgate lock relay. This energizes the relay and allows voltage to be applied to the liftgate lock actuator lock control circuit. Since the other side of the liftgate lock actuator is connected to the normally closed contacts of the door unlock relay to ground, the liftgate will lock. When an unlock function occurs the BCM will ground the control side of the unlock relay and the rear doors and liftgate will unlock.

The BCM also runs diagnostics on the liftgate lock relay control circuit and will set DTC B3825 as current and also send a Class 2 message to the DIC. The DIC will display REPLACE LIFTGATE FUSE to inform the driver that a fault has been detected in the liftgate lock circuit and that the liftgate is not locked. Faults that will set the DTC and cause the DIC to display the message could be any of the following:

An open ECC fuse

An open or short to ground in the liftgate lock relay battery positive voltage circuit

A faulty liftgate lock relay

An open or short to ground in the liftgate lock relay control circuit

A short to ground in the liftgate lock actuator lock control circuit

A faulty BCM

Programmable Automatic Door Locks

The automatic door lock feature can be programmed to control the door lock system. The automatic door lock feature is factory programmed to have all doors lock and unlock. For detailed instructions on programming the automatic door locks, refer to Vehicle Personalization in Personalization.

When the automatic door lock feature is programmed to control the door lock system, the driver door module (DDM), passenger door module (PDM) and body control module (BCM) will lock the vehicle doors if the following inputs are true:

Ignition 1 input is active.

All door jamb switch inputs are inactive.

Cargo door or liftgate/liftglass ajar inputs are inactive.

Transmission is shifted out of park.

This automatic door lock function will only occur once per ignition cycle unless, a door jamb switch input changes state to active and back to inactive. Then the DDM, PDM and BCM will lock all doors again.

Once the automatic door lock feature has locked the doors, the BCM will then unlock all the doors when the transmission is shifted into park.

Lockout Prevention

This feature prevents the locking of the driver door if the ignition key is left in the ignition lock cylinder. If a lock function occurs from any door lock switch and the body control module (BCM) senses an active state on either the left front door latch signal, secondary door latch switch signal and/or the liftgate ajar switch signal circuits and the key in ignition switch signal circuit is in the YES state, the BCM, driver door module (DDM) and passenger door module (PDM) will lock the doors and then the DDM will unlock the driver door.

Delayed Locking Operation

With any door open and a door lock switch is activated in the lock position, the driver door module (DDM), passenger door module (PDM) and the body control module (BCM) will go into a lock pending state. The BCM will also give three audible chimes. When the door is closed, the DDM, PDM and the BCM will lock the doors after approximately five seconds. This feature can be overridden by activating the door lock switch a second time and the doors will lock even with a door open.

Unlock After Air Bag Deployment

This feature will unlock all of the vehicle doors 15 seconds after an air bag deployment.

As for sales people, I will wholeheartedly agree that most are woefully ignorant of the product they sell.  We see it all the time in service when we get the ol', "...but the salesman told me..."  :D

I go through that everyday here in parts..."but my salesman promised me.." or "the salesman said to GIVE ME touch-up paint!" If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "my salesman said" I'd be a rich man :cry:

They (Or most) don't have a clue of the product their selling or the features it has and how things work on it.

First, let me say this... I have a 2005 Colorado. The doors automatically lock when I put it in gear and I don't particularly like it either. I had the truck one day when I was looking for a way to disable that... but I can't. So, I really do understand.

However, not everything is as you want it to be or configurable to your wants, needs and desires. I wish my Tivo could do some things that I think they should allow it to do, but they don't. I wish Windows would do some things that I'd like it to do, but it doesn't. Might I offer it as a suggestion? Yep, but I don't go around huffing and puffing and calling anyone a bunch of idiots because it doesn't work the way *I* think it should.

As for the "law" thing... I do recall reading this somewhere, and it was on a NHTSA site or other government site, not some forum where it's just a lot of opinions. Wish I had saved that. I'll find it again one day.

Yeah, it'd be nice if the locking thing were a configurable option, but it's not. Oh well.

GM-Tech,  First of all, I am used to being in the minority regarding lots of things.  (Most recent evidence my new 1500HD Quadrasteer!)  But supposedly even minorities have some rights, and up until this year we COULD choose to use this feature or not.

It could not have cost GM any $$ to continue to give us this choice and they could not be saving any $$ by deleting it.  Auto locking has been around on various cars/trucks for 10 years or so, why force it on people now?

I know you just work on GM vehicles and have nothing whatsoever to say in how they design them.  I just figure you could see that some people would rather not have their doors lock/unlock by someone elses decision and support those who are only asking to continue to have a CHOICE.  As others have pointed out, the "safety" argument has its pros and cons too.

As the wording in the GM notice indicated, it is clear that this is purly a GM decision and NOT a law as various people have been told or led to believe.  So with enough squawking by enough people this may well be a reversable decision by GM.

Regarding retail sales people, I usually have nothing to do with them.  I have been a fleet buyer and have even bought my personal vehicles through the same guy for over 25 years.  My experience with retail sales (of any make) is that they are either liers or woefuly ignorant or both.

I do appreciate your being on this site and helping many folks out.  Too bad GM and the others do not actively encourage such interaction with their customers.

SQUAWK !!   SQUAWK !!

sorry to bring up an old thread - but this was the first on the list of search results and had some good info in it already.

Pull the fuse and wire in a switch. Use an inline fuse holder to replace the fuse you are removing. Put the new fuse in series with the switch.

Two positions for the switch - Bypass, and "the way GM wanted it".

Yeah, it's a pain, but it should work!

so it's now 2011 and this "feature" is still around. has anyone found a way around it yet? i like the switch idea posted above (i've done similar mods on my cars for power antenna, etc). even without a fuse at some point there must be a power wire going to power lock mechanism... a switch could be installed at that point to essentially "turn off" the power locks.

very rarely do i have a need to lock the door so would like to disable this. if anyone has come up with any new ideas in the past few years i'd like to hear them. otherwise - would anyone have the wiring diagrams for the power door lock mechs? all i need is the power wire to to run my switch to...

thanks!

Another classic case of some pencil pusher in a cubicle fixing something that wasn't broken and doesn't ever have to deal with the public when the complaints start arriving.

Or, another way to look at it... the results of a litigious society causing every manufacturer to cover their butt in ways previously not necessary. Spill hot coffee in your lap? Sue for millions and win. Doors weren't locked and some carjacker yanks you out of the vehicle, injuring your or a family member, sue, sue, sue because the doors COULD have locked automatically but didn't.

No, you'll never convince me it was the result of some individual deciding he or she knows what's best for you. More likely, some pencil pusher trying to protect himself FROM the consumer.

There's a vehicle speed sensor wire somewhere on the vehicle--maybe even in the radio harness--and it's pretty simple to intrepret the vehicle speed sensor signal with one or two simple IC's, so all somebody needs to do is design a circuit that senses the lock status at say 7 mph, and then if they were not locked, waits for 8.001 mph and unlocks the doors that were just locked by the evil computer when the vehicle speed reached 8 mph.

I could probably even make one myself. I just might do that.

Every time the computer locks the doors against the driver's wishes, the added circuit unlocks them a second later. Ha-ha, problem solved.

The epic struggle between good and evil will play out over and over, throughout your trip. Good triumphs over evil. Over and over. It'd be great entertainment!

Don't take this the wrong way...But I just don't see why some people get so "unlocked" about this feature.

I can think of very few situations where you would need to be driving with a door open. And that button isn't hard to press at all, when it comes time to do it.

I actually kind of like the auto-lock feature.

But to each his own.

Do a search on the board here, it's been discussed. :cheers:

Why would I want my doors to lock automatically. I hope there is not a time when you get in a accident & your doors are locked & your stuck or god forbid knocked out but i guess they could break the window. In this controlling world we live in we should have the option of locking them ourselves or for people like you that like to push buttons just so you can get out of your car you can have that option. What ever turns your skirt i just think it's ridiculus. I suppose your one of those people that need to have one of those annoying door chimes to let you know that you left your keys in the ignition or my golly i didn`t close my door all the way. So for all of us that can think for ourselves i hope someone out there can help me out.

:jester: Industrial, take it easy. If you don't agree with a response to a post, (especially one from a moderator) there are better ways to respond. Disagreeing is ok, but do it with respect.

Or, another way to look at it... the results of a litigious society causing every manufacturer to cover their butt in ways previously not necessary. Spill hot coffee in your lap? Sue for millions and win. Doors weren't locked and some carjacker yanks you out of the vehicle, injuring your or a family member, sue, sue, sue because the doors COULD have locked automatically but didn't.

No, you'll never convince me it was the result of some individual deciding he or she knows what's best for you. More likely, some pencil pusher trying to protect himself FROM the consumer.

Sounds exactly right. Brings to mind ATVs (especially 3 wheelers). The owners manuals all specified where / how NOT to ride them to avoid tipping, what safety gear to wear, etc. People didn't listen and got injured / killed, sued ATV manufacturers. Now 3 wheelers are extinct and there are so many safety labels all over everything else that there's hardly room for the manufacturer name on 'em any more.. :banghead:

I vote for the autolock feature as long as we are allowed to customize it to taste. The 2007 GM trucks has separate programming for both lock and unlock sequences. However, these are only available to those models with the DIC with buttons. What about the rest of us who don't have the DIC with buttons? Can we have the same programming capabilities?

Now, now....

Where and when did I call anyone "a bunch of idiots"? If this was a paraphrasing of my opinion of retail auto sales people, then I think you may find I am in the majority here. And, yes, there are exceptions. I should have qualified my previous posting with "most" so as not to imply "all".

But back to the thread topic, all I was really looking for was to continue to have the same CHOICE I (and you and everyone else) had before the '05 model year. Whether that choice is provided by GM or a third party or individual wizzard does not really matter.

Still does not seem like an unreasonable request to me. But then I am in the minority I guess.

Years ago when I was a line mechanic for Saab, the zone rep would come by every few weeks and we could talk to him about various issues that we came across or things we heard from customers and he would pass them on up the line. Enough came from this that it made us feel there really was a communication channel where someone listened to what we had to say.

Hopefully there is someone listening to you and your co-workers who can pass along your shop floor issues as well as customer feedback.

End of vent.... still looking for a win-win solution though.

Archived