cargo light dash icon

I have a 2003 silverado z71. When the cargo light is turned on there is a icon on the dash that lights up. When I start the truck, if I turn one of the map lights on, the cargo icon on the dash comes on then back off. You can hear a relay click also. The cargo light does not come on.

It doesn't do it every time the map light is turned on. Just the first time the map light is turned on after the truck has been started.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

I have a 2003 silverado z71.  When the cargo light is turned on there is a icon on the dash that lights up. When I start the truck, if I turn one of the map lights on, the cargo icon on the dash comes on then back off. You can hear a relay click also. The cargo light does not come on.

It doesn't do it every time the map light is turned on. Just the first  time the map light is turned on after the truck has been started.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

I thought I was the only person to notice such things :devil: ...mine does this too, and the cargo light does not come on when this happens, just like yours. I asked my service about this, said they cannot find anything wrong, everything checks out fine...and you are right, just the first time you turn the map light on and you can hear the realy, not again until you cycle on/off...got me man, but I would not worry about it...maybe GM-tech can help out here, sounds like at least a couple of us have this...later, :puke::jester::cheers:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the automatic shut off of the lights after 10 or 20 minutes. I think the domes will shut off after 10, and the cargo is after 20. Maybe it is rearming the circuit and the cargo light circuit ticks the relay when it first energizes?

Yeah, that's just a wild-ast-guess! But it's all I could come up with. I usually notice things like this too, but i haven't noticed it on mine. Then again, I don't use the map lights very often...

:lol::lol::lol: I have it too!! I thought I had a weird truck or something. Mine also does it when I open the glove box. Just like you stated it only does it the first tiime. It must have some type of a surge on the system or something. I am glad I am not the only one!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

The other day my dad and I went to pick up a rental tractor (small Kubota) and about 2 miles into the trip to the house my dad opened the glove box to throw the receipt in and the orange security/padlock icon flashed really quickly. All I saw was orange flashing on the dash and my first thought (being that I was pulling a heavy trailer) was 'oh crap the SES light' but it turns out it was the security/padlock icon. WEIRD, especially since there's no lock on the glove box.

Hey Az,

I'll bet you it was the cargo lamp indicator you saw, not the security light.

I checked mine out tonight. Sure enough, the first time I hit the map light, it flashed the cargo lamp indicator. If I shut the truck off, and turned it on again, the map light wouldn't cause the cargo indicator to flash. Probably because it hadn't timed out yet.

The glove box is on the same "time protected" circuit as the dome lights and cargo lamp. I left my glove box open the other night and it didn't run the battery down, thanks GM!

I'm firming up my BS theory that it has something to do with the timed shutoff of the interior lights...

Archived