Steering Problem

ok I have a wierd thing going on with my steering. I have a 1997 2dr Tahoe 350 Sometimes when I get in and drive it, the steering will be very very free, or loose feeling, and when making a turn, the wheel doesnt want to come back on its own. It will do this until I am finished with my trip, and then the next time I drive it, everything feels normal. I dont have a steering stabilizer, I have heard that they will tend to not let the wheel come back on it own. Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't know if your 97 has one but my EVO sensor went and it had the same symptom. The sensor mounts on the steering column above the brake pedal. It senses wheel position and speed and adjusts PS assist accordingly. About $60 and an hour of my time solved the problem for me.

Don't know if your 97 has one but my EVO sensor went and it had the same symptom.  The sensor mounts on the steering column above the brake pedal.  It senses wheel position and speed and adjusts PS assist accordingly.  About $60 and an hour of my time solved the problem for me.

What does the EVO sensor look like? I am not sure if it has one or not?

Don't know if your 97 has one but my EVO sensor went and it had the same symptom.  The sensor mounts on the steering column above the brake pedal.  It senses wheel position and speed and adjusts PS assist accordingly.  About $60 and an hour of my time solved the problem for me.

Mine is a white plastic ring aroung the steering shaft above the brake pedal with a wiring harness plugged into it. I'd say a 4" donut is a pretty good description.

Mine is a white plastic ring aroung the steering shaft above the brake pedal with a wiring harness plugged into it. I'd say a 4" donut is a pretty good description.

I checked for the white doughnut, and it does not have one. Any other ideas?

does anyone know if all 1997 Tahoes have an EVO sensor? If mine has one, it is not a white ring on the steering colum under the dash. After doing a search on loose steering, I do have all of the symptoms of the EVO problem.

On my '97 K1500, it was black. My part number for the sensor on GMPartsDirect.com was 26064468. This is the help back when I changed mine:

"Its not that hard but it is in a tight spot. You'll need a 15mm box wrench or socket/rachet combo. Underneath your dash at bottom of

your steering column before it goes into the firewall there is one bolt that connect steering wheel shaft to your steering box shaft.

Reove this one bolt and push lower shaft forward towards firewall. This will allow you room to remove sensor. It is inside a little

plastic casing with three catch pins holding it in place and one connection plug. The plug may be wrapped in shrink foam

and located just above steering column toward wheel. It took me more time to get the foam off the plug than it did to do

the acutal job. If you have acc! ess to MEK solution it would probably melt foam wrap without harming anything else. Just follow steps

and reverse for install. Hope this helps."

• 1 year later...

I have a 2004 Suburban 1500 LT 5.3ltr that exhibits the same drift problem like I'm getting blown around by the wind. Steering feels loose and does pull to right quite a bit on a level road. I've taken it in for alignment twice and doesn't seem to have helped. The second time the mechanic informed me that their machine was off. Do you think I might have the same problem with my EVO with the 2004 model. I looked and found a white donut on the steering column with a plug on it like mentioned in prior posts.

Thanks in advance.

Archived