Tire Pressure

I know this has been discussed a zillion times. I rotated my tires last night and was wondering what the correct pressure is to run on my 245-75-16 E tires.

The door sticker says 60psi front and 80psi rear, but that will quickly wear out the center of the tread. I tow occasionally, but that pressure must be for max load.

I am just wondering what pressure everyone likes for even wearing. Hey, I can't afford to buy tires evey year! :D

The tires only have the max load pressure not to exceed.

Kinds correct but you can adjust the pressure according to load. Typically in a unloaded truck with a big engine up front you can run 55 to 60 PSI in front and around 45 to 50 in rear when unloaded. When carrying a heavy load in rear or towing a trailer you can increase presure as needed to 60 to 70 PSI. The only time you need to run max pressure on a 245x75 16E is when you load the tires near or to their load limit of about 3070lb apiece. If in doubt about weight on axle/tire combo, a quick trip to a farm grain mill with a scale can tell you what your normal loads are. No big science here.

Called my local tire dealer and he said to run them empty around 50 psi for best wear.  Even at that, the biggest thing I tow regularly is my fifth wheel camper that has a tongue weight of around 1100 pounds.

Just remember that when the truck is empty there is about 800 to 1000lbs more weight on the front than rear axle and that is why I recommanded 55 to 60 up front for good steering responce too.

i got my at 40 all around, but hadn't thought about the extra weight in the front. it works good the way it is, I'll air up if I'm do some work. a ton of fertilizer in a spreader buggy don't count.  :D

I have found that with 55 to 60 PSI up front it rolls just a tad easier and it makes the steering a bit more crisp too.

I keep my Crewcab at vehicle specs. 50 PSI Front and 80 PSI rear. The ride is fine at these pressures and I don't want to pay extra $$ for lost fuel efficiency by increasing my rolling resistance. :D

I keep my Crewcab at vehicle specs. 50 PSI Front and 80 PSI rear. The ride is fine at these pressures and I don't want to pay extra $$ for lost fuel efficiency by increasing my rolling resistance.  :D

Good idea fuel ecomomy wise but you might do better yet with more air in front always and less in rear when not loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

On 285/75-16D's, I run 50 front, 40 rear, and I determined these pressures by looking at the bulges in the tires. Even with 40 in the rear, it's bulged not-quite-as-much as the fronts. Could probably go to 35 rear.

The tires do not get warm at all with these pressures. If they're not warm, they're not consuming fuel.

Archived