When will GM 8.1 be discontinued

snoman,I didn't even know GM had a V10 in the works,and I usually know these things!!! (my buddy works for GM and always calls me with the latest news and gossip,plus with me working at a GM dealer we always hear news about new models and such)

As far as I've heard the 8.1 is still going to be around for '06 but that could change at anytime,I'll have to ask my buddy at GM next time I talk to him!

snoman,I didn't even know GM had a V10 in the works,and I usually know these things!!! (my buddy works for GM and always calls me with the latest news and gossip,plus with me working at a GM dealer we always hear news about new models and such)

As far as I've heard the 8.1 is still going to be around for '06 but that could change at anytime,I'll have to ask my buddy at GM next time I talk to him!

I have heard from a few sourse that GM is planning a V10 for new body style trucks for sure (07 I guess) but not sure if it will come out sooner. It will be based on the same modular block and I heard that it would likely be a 5.3 with two jugs added for 6.9 or 7.0 displacement though it could be a 7.5 based on the 6.0 too. No word on what kinda of valve arangement it will have in head but Ford has a 3 valve V10 now so GM would likely match or exceed that.

From http://www.gminsidenews.com/futureguide1.htm rumor site:

"...Silverado line will get a redesign in 2007 (GMT-900). Expect the usual increases in chassis strength, towing ability, and interior quality. Expect Chevy's current scowling look to look more "big rig" a.k.a Dodge Ram An optional 7.5L V10 powertrain will be added....

A freind of mine it looking to buy a new Chevy work truck and he really wants a 8.1 in it and has anyone heard if they will still be availible for sure in 06 because I know GM has a V10 in the works.

I have heard that GM will bring out a 7.5 liter V10 and phase out the 6.0 liter. But when you think about it, a 7.5 liter could probably take the place of the 6.0 + 8.1 liter V8s.

Dodge now has the 4.7+5.7 liter and no V10 anymore.

Ford has the 4.6 + 5.4 V8s and the 6.8 V10 gassers.

Does GM need the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 8.1 V8s?

A freind of mine it looking to buy a new Chevy work truck and he really wants a 8.1 in it and has anyone heard if they will still be availible for sure in 06 because I know GM has a V10 in the works.

I have heard that GM will bring out a 7.5 liter V10 and phase out the 6.0 liter. But when you think about it, a 7.5 liter could probably take the place of the 6.0 + 8.1 liter V8s.

Dodge now has the 4.7+5.7 liter and no V10 anymore.

Ford has the 4.6 + 5.4 V8s and the 6.8 V10 gassers.

Does GM need the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 8.1 V8s?

I heard dodge is thinking of bringing back the V10 and Gm should drop the 4.8 or 5.3 because they have too many engines that are too close in performance.

• 2 weeks later...

the 8.1 is not going away and there will never be a v10, the 8.1 is making the same numbers as a v10 with better efficiency, i would look for improvements in head design and the use of displacement on demand in 2007. Ford is the one resonsible for the 5.4 + 2 cylinders = 6.8 v10, its good in theory but the 2 extra cylinders only provide a gain 1/4 of the time and create drag and less efficiency 3/4's of hte time, true you have more to tune with and the sheer fact that it has a lot of displacement gives it a lot of torque, however sometimes you can actually feel when the engine has a tiny power spike sometimes and power dip a lot more times when your towing, bottom line imho gm makes the smoothest most powerful most efficient engines around, and if someone is going to use the dodge srt-10 as a come back, all gm has to do is wrench down a ls7 to an ss and there you go, but if i was sitting in the gm office right now id be thinking ls8 :P

The 8.1 engine might as well be discontinued, at least here in the Portland, Oregon area. I had one in a 2002 Avalanche (2500) and loved the engine...it's standard in the Avy.

But just try to buy a 2500HD with the 8.1 anywhere near PDX. Impossible.

Personally, I don't want the stink and noise of the Duramax and I don't particularly care about the fuel mileage. I just want the sheer power of the wonderful 8.1 again.

Must be a dealer thing.

Steve

GM has leaked (disinformation?) that it's tinkering with the idea of a V-10. But the V8 big block is not going anywhere any time soon. Mercury Marine is one of GM's largest purchaser of their engines for their Mercruiser line of marine engines. Anyone who has a late model boat will tell you that the Mercruiser 496 Mag HO is the hot engine out there. They're cranking 425 hp at the propshaft. And these are meeting newly implemented emission regulations! Believe me if GM wants, they can crank up the HP on these motors to 11 (a joke from the movie Spinal Tap). GM just needs to know there is a need. But like usual, they'll screw that up too.

I really doubt GM will put the axe to the 8.1 Big Block. My kiddo had a transportation fair at her kindergarten class...and among the many fun vehicles (fire trucks, big rigs, etc.) was a nice Kodiak top kick with probably a 20 foot bed. It was a lumber yard delivery truck. I noticed the 6 speed manual tranny and asked if it was a Duramax. He didn't really know ("just a delivery man") but he knew it was gas.

He pulls back the hood and there sits the 8.1 Big Block! I pulled my wife over and showed her the engine...

She got all wide eyed when she realized the same engine was powering our Crew Cab!!!

You think of all the medium duty trucks and marine applications that use the 8.1 and it seems really odd that GM would ditch the Big Block. I love mine and would buy one again in a heartbeat.

the 8.1 is not going away and there will never be a v10, the 8.1 is making the same numbers as a v10 with better efficiency, i would look for improvements in head design and the use of displacement on demand in 2007.  Ford is the one resonsible for the 5.4 + 2 cylinders = 6.8 v10, its good in theory but the 2 extra cylinders only provide a gain 1/4 of the time and create drag and less efficiency 3/4's of hte time, true you have more to tune with and the sheer fact that it has a lot of displacement gives it a lot of torque, however sometimes you can actually feel when the engine has a tiny power spike sometimes and power dip a lot more times when your towing, bottom line imho gm makes the smoothest most powerful most efficient engines around, and if someone is going to use the dodge srt-10 as a come back, all gm has to do is wrench down a ls7 to an ss and there you go, but if i was sitting in the gm office right now id be thinking ls8  :P

Its all about the emmisions and MPG. The reason for wanting to go to a V10, is for emmissions and MPG.

But excuse my ignorance, but is the 8.1 the 454 block. If so what is different, other than being fuel injected.

Dodge is suppose to be makeing a V10, based off the 4.7. engine. Which is "almost" a Hemi, the only reason it isn't called a hemi is because the combustion chambers have a wall on one side that makes it look kind of like a flat tire. Other than that everything is in the same arangment. The valve springs are across from each other and the spark plug goes right down the middle.

But rumor is tho they won't put it into production, untill they see the response from the 6.1 Hemi.

Archived