Bose Sound Question...

Okay well, as some may have read I am in the process of installing the factory full floor console in my 04 Sierra 2500HD... Well The console I recieved has the bose amplifier, and sub in it, and I am really starting to think I want to hook it up... now before every body goes off and tell me to install after maker it will sound better, I really want to keep every thing looking original, and not be running wires all over the place in it(I already have enough of those). So I took apart the console to see what amp it has in it. The console came from an Avalanche(on one of the lables), and had the following on the label of the bose amp:

AMP ASSY 5800 GMT 800/805 CREW

**BAR CODE HERE**

25722120802902 - 05006224

**ANOTHER BAR CODE**

IF I do this, what will I need, I know I will have to get a bose HU, but which ones will work??

Also what cables will I need, and part # if available??

Thanks for your help guys!!

i think you might need to get the complete wiring harness for it. that runs from the back of the deck down to the amp then wiring to run from the amp to the sub... ill take a look at my dads truck when i get a chance... he has the upgraded bose system

Bump....

I figured one of you guys who had don the nav upgrade would have some guidance...

It can be done but it won't be easy. If will have to get the whole audio system harness and make sure you get the one for the type of amp you have (Y91- lux amp or the non lux amp). The amp number you listed is a non-lux amp but if your going to do this swap, I would get a lux amp and replace it. Then the BCM will need to be programmed so it knows that it is now supporting a Bose system. You will then need to install the whole harness from the headunit down to the amp and from the amp to each speaker. The wiring you have now just comes out of the headunit and goes to each speaker. I can't give you any part numbers, but could could get with the dealer. You will need to get one for a extended cab because they never put the bose setup in the regular cabs.

You may check with JP Customs, I believe they where going to make a setup to do this same type of upgrade.

Hmmmm...  Has anyone tried to make a wiring adapter for this???  Or does anybody have the schematics that shows the pin outs for both the HU and the AMP??

Here are the pinouts for the headunit (they are the same for all headunits) and the two different amps (the lux bose/Y91 and the non lux Bose)

headunitpinoutsC1.jpg

headunitpinoutC2.jpg

amppinoutsC1.jpg

amppinoutsC2.jpg

Bump....

I figured one of you guys who had don the nav upgrade would have some guidance...

It can be done but it won't be easy. If will have to get the whole audio system harness and make sure you get the one for the type of amp you have (Y91- lux amp or the non lux amp). The amp number you listed is a non-lux amp but if your going to do this swap, I would get a lux amp and replace it. Then the BCM will need to be programmed so it knows that it is now supporting a Bose system. You will then need to install the whole harness from the headunit down to the amp and from the amp to each speaker. The wiring you have now just comes out of the headunit and goes to each speaker. I can't give you any part numbers, but could could get with the dealer. You will need to get one for a extended cab because they never put the bose setup in the regular cabs.

You may check with JP Customs, I believe they where going to make a setup to do this same type of upgrade.

I spoke with Jason at JP Customs last week... he said it would only take a bit of re-wiring and to have the truck flashed to tell the truck it has a bose system... What exactly does the flash do?? Does it activate the pre-amp outputs on the radio???

Bump....

I spoke with Jason at JP Customs last week... he said it would only take a bit of re-wiring and to have the truck flashed to tell the truck it has a bose system... What exactly does the flash do?? Does it activate the pre-amp outputs on the radio???

The reflash programs the BCM so it knows it is controlling a Bose headunit. The radio will still need to be replaced with a Bose unit. Only the Bose models have pre-amp outputs. the non-bose units only have speaker level outputs (amplified)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, what is a lux Bose vs a non lux Bose? What is lux?

Same questions about BCM, what does that stand for?

Where were you able to get the schematics for the plug? Is this in a tech manual or you found it on line or . . . ?

A lux Bose is the Luxury model witch uses a digital amp with DSP (digital signal processor)

A non-lux Bose is the regular Premium Bose model and it uses a analog amp and does not have the DSP built into it.

The lux-Bose systems can be identified by the RPO code "Y91" in the glove box or by looking at the amp.

The schematics can be found in the GM service manuals or CD's, the mauals can be bought from Helm Inc. http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r...=AS5&q=helm+inc.

The BCM is the body control module in the vehicle and it controls many operations from windows, door locks, lights, driver settings, radio functions, power mirror functions RAP, DIC, and many more.

Can I replace my non-lux amp easily with the lux amp? and what will I gain from doing this? Has anyone on here done this with their truck?

I have thought about adding an additional sub/amp combo but if the lux amp will increase bass and sound quality I might be interested in just doing that.

Can I replace my non-lux amp easily with the lux amp? and what will I gain from doing this? Has anyone on here done this with their truck?

I have thought about adding an additional sub/amp combo but if the lux amp will increase bass and sound quality I might be interested in just doing that.

You can upgrade to the lux amp, and they do sound much better, but there is not much difference in the bass.

To make the upgrade you will need to remove and reposition all the wires in the two connectors at the amp and add a new wire from the radio to the headunit and also add the sound compensating mic. The upgrade is really not that hard and I can provide the needed wiring changes for you.

You can upgrade to the lux amp, and they do sound much better, but there is not much difference in the bass.

To make the upgrade you will need to remove and reposition all the wires in the two connectors at the amp and add a new wire from the radio to the headunit and also add the sound compensating mic. The upgrade is really not that hard and I can provide the needed wiring changes for you.

I think I may be interested in that project. What kind of dough would it take?

I think I may be interested in that project. What kind of dough would it take?

Not much money once you find an amp, the rest is just wiring mods.

Here is the wires that need to be moved in the 24 pin connector to go from a non-lux amp to a lux amp.

A1 - do nothing

A2 - do nothing

A5 - move to A4 (brown wire)

A6 - move to A3 (yellow)

A7 - move to A8 (dark blue)

A8 - move to A7 (light blue)

A9 - move to A5 (tan)

A10 - move to A6 (gray)

A11 - move to A9 (light green)

A12 - move to A10 (dark green)

B1 - cap off, not used (gray/black)

B2 - cap off, not used (purple)

B3 - cap off, not used (black)

B4 - cap off, not used (dark blue)

B5 - cap off, not used (dark green/white)

B6 - cap off, not used (brown)

B7 - move to B3 (orange/black)

B8 - move to B6 (light green)

B9 - move to B4 (dark green)

B10 - move to B5 (tan)

B11 - cap off, not used (pink)

B12 - move to B7 (bare wire)

Add data bus wire from B1 (small orange wire) on the headunit 24 pin connector to B10

Add microphone wire to B1 (optional, but recommended for the sound compensated volume to work)

Here is the wiring changes for the 8 pin connector on the non-lux to lux amp swap

A ( black w/ white) do nothing

B (dark blue wire) move to E

C (dark green) move to B

D not used

E (bare wire) just remove and cap off

F (light blue w/ black) move to G

G (light green w/ black) move to D

H (orange) do nothing

amppinoutsC2.jpg

amppinoutsC1.jpg

Archived