1999 Yukon AC

I have had problems with my AC for several years and have spent almost 2 grand at the dealer. It always seems to go out just when I need it. The dealer said I needed a new line to the rear AC and a new rear evaporator, because both leaked ($1800). I went to a non-dealer who quoted me $1000 and did the work.

The first day the AC was great, but the outside air was only 72. I just had to try it out. Over the next few days, temperatures 78-85, I monitored the temperature of the air coming out of the front AC vent. Sometimes it was 45 (GREAT!) and other times it was 60 (NOT VERY GOOD). When it was coming out at 45 on an 85 degree day, I could switch it from HI to low and still keep very cool.

Today I went back to the AC shop. It was 87 degrees, and while sitting at an idle, the air was coming out at 56 degrees. He said that was the spec...anything under 60! I was getting 60 before the 1000 dollar repair and had to drive with the windows down in 95 degree temperatures! What should the temp be for air coming out? Mine varies from 45 to 60 when the outside temp is 80 or less and the humidity is low.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have had problems with my AC for several years and have spent almost 2 grand at the dealer.  It always seems to go out just when I need it.  The dealer said I needed a new line to the rear AC and a new rear evaporator, because both leaked ($1800).  I went to a non-dealer who quoted me $1000 and did the work. 

The first day the AC was great, but the outside air was only 72.  I just had to try it out.  Over the next few days, temperatures 78-85, I monitored the temperature of the air coming out of the front AC vent.  Sometimes it was 45 (GREAT!) and other times it was 60 (NOT VERY GOOD).  When it was coming out at 45 on an 85 degree day, I could switch it from HI to low and still keep very cool. 

Today I went back to the AC shop.  It was 87 degrees, and while sitting at an idle, the air was coming out at 56 degrees.  He said that was the spec...anything under 60!  I was getting 60 before the 1000 dollar repair and had to drive with the windows down in 95 degree temperatures!  What should the temp be for air coming out?  Mine varies from 45 to 60 when the outside temp is 80 or less and the humidity is low.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Here is the GM chart on AC temps.

acchart.jpg

Archived