• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 killerZ-71

killerZ-71

Enthusiast

• 152 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:25 AM

i was told you can place a floor jack under the rear punkin and lift both
wheels up at the same time. i asked someone else, and they said yes.
is this true, can i place my floor jack under the rear diff. punkin and lift
my truck. because of my lift and many mods, the rear frame is not
easily accessable to the floor jack. thanx :D

#2 Wingnut

Wingnut

I ATE A BABY

• Senior Moderator
  • 13,827 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

That's how I do it. :D
2006 IBM M6 GTO (CLICK MEEEE)
All that and a bag of chips. 532 RWHP, 503 RWTQ.
2007 Avalanche Z71
Bone stock.
2010 Toyota Camry. No pics because BLAH!

#3 HaroldCallahan

HaroldCallahan

Enthusiast

• 45 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

I used to lift using a floor jack on the pumpkin all the time, it is very easy to lift the rear of the truck this way. Then I read on several different forumns about the potential for damage. I think I read about actually piercing the housing, stressing the bearings etc.

Not sure if any truth to it at all. But now I am paranoid and will not lift at the rear pumpkin.

Maybe someone else knows exactly what the problem is (if any) with using the pumpkin as a jackpoint.

#4 Ape0r

Ape0r

Enthusiast

• 466 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

Puts a hell of a lot of leverage on the axle. Note how the distance between the wheel and the leaf is relatively short compared to the distance between the leaf and the pumpkin. This really helps to relieve some of the stress on the pumpkin, however jacking the truck up by the pumpkin does the reverse and uses those long levers created by the distance between the pumpkin and the spring to put direct stress into the axle. Just my $.02. In general, you can probably get away with it and not have a problem. Just don't go telling a service manager about it when you're trying to get warranty work done on your rear end ;).

Also, that may not be the safest way, be sure to place jackstands on either side once she's up.

Edited by Ape0r, 24 April 2005 - 02:53 PM.

'04 Silv. 4x4 5.3 LB
Posted Image

#5 DV93

DV93

Enthusiast

• 9 posts
  • Drives:2002 Suburban 2WD E85

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

So where do you place the floor jack? I have yet to buy one but have always wondered where to place jack stands in the rear and front?

When using the original bottle jack to rotate tires or change a flat I use the jack points as per owners manual. So if I am using the jack point for the jack where to put the jack stand?

#6 JamesB

JamesB

Enthusiast

• 216 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:44 AM

So.... I've always put the floor jack under the rear diff... and have never had any problems, BUT where should I place the floor jack on the front end of my 4x4 Z71?

James.
--------------------
James M. Bennett

'04 Z71 Black Tahoe, 5.3
'02 Z71 Black Silverado Ext. Cab Short Box 5.3, Line-X and Better Built low profile black tool box.
'77 Chevy Silverado long bed, 305.

#7 Wingnut

Wingnut

I ATE A BABY

• Senior Moderator
  • 13,827 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:18 AM

I put it on the frame rail under the door, as far forward as I can get it before the rail starts to curve upward.

Or, I stick it right in the middle, and jack the entire side of the truck up. Then repeat on the other side...Putting the entire truck on four jackstands.

Depends on the job.
2006 IBM M6 GTO (CLICK MEEEE)
All that and a bag of chips. 532 RWHP, 503 RWTQ.
2007 Avalanche Z71
Bone stock.
2010 Toyota Camry. No pics because BLAH!

#8 PELICAN

PELICAN

Enthusiast

• 543 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

I don't need a stinking jack to lift my truck. I use the "force" :chevy: but seriously I put my floor jack on the frame like wingnut said
if you cant dazzle them with your brilliance baffle them with your bs

#9 mcreyaufmiller

mcreyaufmiller

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,521 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:57 PM

I perfer the two post lift method.
Mike C.

Posted Image

2009 Suburban LTZ, 1970 C10 (Long term project), 1998 Silverado 2wd extended cab
Steve Ashworth Signature 383 Stroker, K&N FIPK II, True Dual Flowmasters, Thorley Tri-Y Headers, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Wait4me performance custom tune, MSD 6A Ignition, MSD Coil, MSD Superconductor Wires, SSBC Front 6 piston, rear 2 Piston Disc Brakes, Front and Rear Helwig Sway Bars. Eaton Posi, Complete MOOG Front End Rebuild
Wait4meperformance, Stainless Steel Brakes

#10 obbop

obbop

Enthusiast

• 46 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:19 AM

Factory shop manual boldly proclaims ye can lift the rear of the truck with a jack by placing it under the differential.

Other places also allowed but I don't feel like looking it up.

The $115 I spent for the multi-volume Helm GMC authorized shop manuals was money well-spent.

I am surprised by how many folks will plop down thousands to alter a vehicle yet balk at the cost of raw brutal information that can assist in maintining and/or repairing the conveyance.
www.carsindepth.com/

#11 Bish

Bish

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,670 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:08 PM

Factory shop manual boldly proclaims ye can lift the rear of the truck with a jack by placing it under the differential.

Other places also allowed but I don't feel like looking it up.

The $115 I spent for the multi-volume Helm GMC authorized shop manuals was money well-spent.

I am surprised by how many folks will plop down thousands to alter a vehicle yet balk at the cost of raw brutal information that can assist in maintining and/or repairing the conveyance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use the pumpkin regularly. I also think the Helms manual RULES! Not the most organized and easy to find manual but as far as raw data....anything you wanted to know. Now if they could only put part numbers in there :confused:
2008 Yukon Denali AWD Red Jewel
6.2L, 6L80E EFILive and a BlackBearPerformance tune. GMPP CAI, Hotchkis Front/Rear Sway Bars
2008 Buick Enclave - All GM for us now!

#12 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,911 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:23 PM

I put it on the frame rail under the door, as far forward as I can get it before the rail starts to curve upward.

Or, I stick it right in the middle, and jack the entire side of the truck up. Then repeat on the other side...Putting the entire truck on four jackstands.

Depends on the job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you put it to far back on the side,like towards the rear of the 3rd and 4th doors on an ext.cab you will bend the bottom (Or the part where the floor jack is lifting against) of the frame up! Believe me I did it on my '99 and I wasn't happy with myself! These frames are not that strong on the bottom back there to support there weight,if you look there not boxed back there.
The funny thing is that on my '97 OBS truck I lifted it there all the time and no problems,I still think those trucks had a stronger frame than the new ones.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#13 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,911 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

And one other thing,when I need to lift just the back of my truck,I always use the pumpkin,Never had any problems with any of my trucks doing that.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#14 WFO

WFO

Enthusiast

• 349 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

And one other thing,when I need to lift just the back of my truck,I always use the pumpkin,Never had any problems with any of my trucks doing that.

Wher is the best place to lift the front end then?
Posted Image
2007 Silverado Ext Cab WT LS package 4.8L, American Racing Cannon Wheels 17"X8.5", Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70R 17", 1.5" Skyjacker Leveling Kit, Raptor SS Oval Nerf Bars, Weather Tech Molded Floor Mats, AVS Vent Shades, Speed Liner Spray-on Bed Liner, SS Chrome Grill Insert, Corsa Sport Exhaust, GM molded Splash Guards, Bull Ring Tie Down Anchors, "Painted" Front Bumper, Front Valance, Door Handles, Mirror Caps, Added Body Side Molding

#15 WFO

WFO

Enthusiast

• 349 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

Wher is the best place to lift the front end then? 07 NBS

Posted Image
2007 Silverado Ext Cab WT LS package 4.8L, American Racing Cannon Wheels 17"X8.5", Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70R 17", 1.5" Skyjacker Leveling Kit, Raptor SS Oval Nerf Bars, Weather Tech Molded Floor Mats, AVS Vent Shades, Speed Liner Spray-on Bed Liner, SS Chrome Grill Insert, Corsa Sport Exhaust, GM molded Splash Guards, Bull Ring Tie Down Anchors, "Painted" Front Bumper, Front Valance, Door Handles, Mirror Caps, Added Body Side Molding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users