floor jack placement???????????

i was told you can place a floor jack under the rear punkin and lift both

wheels up at the same time. i asked someone else, and they said yes.

is this true, can i place my floor jack under the rear diff. punkin and lift

my truck. because of my lift and many mods, the rear frame is not

easily accessable to the floor jack. thanx :D

I used to lift using a floor jack on the pumpkin all the time, it is very easy to lift the rear of the truck this way. Then I read on several different forumns about the potential for damage. I think I read about actually piercing the housing, stressing the bearings etc.

Not sure if any truth to it at all. But now I am paranoid and will not lift at the rear pumpkin.

Maybe someone else knows exactly what the problem is (if any) with using the pumpkin as a jackpoint.

Puts a hell of a lot of leverage on the axle. Note how the distance between the wheel and the leaf is relatively short compared to the distance between the leaf and the pumpkin. This really helps to relieve some of the stress on the pumpkin, however jacking the truck up by the pumpkin does the reverse and uses those long levers created by the distance between the pumpkin and the spring to put direct stress into the axle. Just my $.02. In general, you can probably get away with it and not have a problem. Just don't go telling a service manager about it when you're trying to get warranty work done on your rear end ;).

Also, that may not be the safest way, be sure to place jackstands on either side once she's up.

So where do you place the floor jack? I have yet to buy one but have always wondered where to place jack stands in the rear and front?

When using the original bottle jack to rotate tires or change a flat I use the jack points as per owners manual. So if I am using the jack point for the jack where to put the jack stand?

I put it on the frame rail under the door, as far forward as I can get it before the rail starts to curve upward.

Or, I stick it right in the middle, and jack the entire side of the truck up. Then repeat on the other side...Putting the entire truck on four jackstands.

Depends on the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Factory shop manual boldly proclaims ye can lift the rear of the truck with a jack by placing it under the differential.

Other places also allowed but I don't feel like looking it up.

The $115 I spent for the multi-volume Helm GMC authorized shop manuals was money well-spent.

I am surprised by how many folks will plop down thousands to alter a vehicle yet balk at the cost of raw brutal information that can assist in maintining and/or repairing the conveyance.

Factory shop manual boldly proclaims ye can lift the rear of the truck with a jack by placing it under the differential.

Other places also allowed but I don't feel like looking it up.

The $115 I spent for the multi-volume Helm GMC authorized shop manuals was money well-spent.

I am surprised by how many folks will plop down thousands to alter a vehicle yet balk at the cost of raw brutal information that can assist in maintining and/or repairing the conveyance.

I use the pumpkin regularly. I also think the Helms manual RULES! Not the most organized and easy to find manual but as far as raw data....anything you wanted to know. Now if they could only put part numbers in there :confused:

I put it on the frame rail under the door, as far forward as I can get it before the rail starts to curve upward.

Or, I stick it right in the middle, and jack the entire side of the truck up. Then repeat on the other side...Putting the entire truck on four jackstands.

Depends on the job.

If you put it to far back on the side,like towards the rear of the 3rd and 4th doors on an ext.cab you will bend the bottom (Or the part where the floor jack is lifting against) of the frame up! Believe me I did it on my '99 and I wasn't happy with myself! These frames are not that strong on the bottom back there to support there weight,if you look there not boxed back there.

The funny thing is that on my '97 OBS truck I lifted it there all the time and no problems,I still think those trucks had a stronger frame than the new ones.

And one other thing,when I need to lift just the back of my truck,I always use the pumpkin,Never had any problems with any of my trucks doing that.

• 2 years later...
And one other thing,when I need to lift just the back of my truck,I always use the pumpkin,Never had any problems with any of my trucks doing that.

Wher is the best place to lift the front end then?

Wher is the best place to lift the front end then? 07 NBS

Archived