Fuel Pressure Regulator

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I must say I'm glad I found it. I'm having a problem with my 99 GMC truck its a 4X4, I’m experiencing rough idle and it gets worst when I turn on my A/C, now its not constantly it feels like is going to die when I’m in a stop light and then it recovers and after 5 seconds it does it again. I have been doing some reading and found out that the fuel pressure regulator is a common problem on these trucks, so I wanted to ask is there a way of testing this part? Also I’ve been calling some local parts shop but they say they don’t have it, so I went to the dealer and they want to sell me the whole rail with the regulator, and its $164 dlls, any input on were to get it?

Thanks

I had a problem with the fuel pressure regulator on my 99 Z71. The truck would have a hard time starting almost as if it was the fuel pump, but it wouldnt be at regular intervals. One of my mechanics said if you take the rubber tube off the top of the regulator and gas spews out, its more than likely bad. As far as how much it costs, I do remember it was kind of expensive for the regulator, but I dont believe it was anywhere near 100 bucks or more. I'm thinking it was around like 60 bucks through the dealer. Hope this helps.

... so I went to the dealer and they want to sell me the whole rail with the regulator, and its $164 dlls, any input on were to get it?

Thanks

Hey there Rick,

After you test it by finding fuel where the vacuum hose attaches (like firefighter said) and determine it's bad, I think $164 is too much. I also think selling you the fuel rail is overkill for the fix. That's like selling you new wheels just cuz your tires are worn.

I went on GMPartsDirect and found fuel regulators for less than $50.

Your idle sputter and surge could be caused by a bunch of stuff so if the regulator isn't the fix, let us know and we'll help you continue troubleshootin'!

Hope this helps you.

Ed

Rick or anyone else that has had this problem

Does the regulator make any noise when you turn the key to the run position. My truck just started doing this & is hard to start at times. The sound reminds me of a starter "clicking" when you have a weak battery. I have a 2000 1500 w/ the 4.8, 84,000 miles. Thank you for any help.

Chris

:tear: I own a 96 c1500 with 95k and I believe I have a fuel delivery problem. When I first try to start my 5.0L engine it will not go. I have to turn the key off and when I try it again it fires. I went to my local library and and did a few diagnostic tests on the fuel pump relay. Seems like everything is good. Looking at everybodies replies I was wondering what should I be looking at next? The pump and regulator are original. Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump regulator is so I can remove the hose and see if fuel is in the line indicating a defective regulator. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Archived