98 Chevy Z71 w/power steering problem

Guest Friz

A good friend of mine has a 1998 Chevy Z71, lately the power steering has been acting up. Sometimes it works smooth and sometimes its real stiff. This problem is intermittent, you can be driving down the road and it works just fine then all of a sudden it cuts-out then a few miles later its working again. He took it to a mechanic and it showed a "CODE 4" on the computer the mechanic said he didn't know that code. The mechanic changed the pump but the problem still exists. Please help.

i have a problem kind of like that in my 89

the power steering pump died when i was out playing in the dirt with my friend and his burb. i had to drive about 30 mins home without power steering, what i'm told is that the lack of fluid killed my "steering box" and that needs to be replaced. tho i only have problems with the steering when its cold. lately durning the warm wearther it works as good as new so i dont  know what exactly is going on.

I've heard of the power steering problem in the 1/2 tons as well. One of my mechanic buddies cured his boss's steering woes by putting a valve from a 1 ton steering box in the 1/2 ton.

Said it never had any more trouble.

Thanks for all the help, someone on another forum said he thought it might be the EVO (Electronic Variable Orifice) covered under a TSB 86-32-06, from your responses kinda sounds like the same thing a bad steering wheel speed sensor.

Thanks again

Archived