Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Problems

01silverado2500

Question

I know……another post by me and its not truck related…sorry....but its still GM…….

Well I was following my dad today, he was driving my LTZ, and I noticed that the right taillight-brake light would go out whenever the left turn signal was on. So I changed the bulb in the right side taillight and the same thing still happens. If I put on the right turn signal, it flashes properly and the left Brake light stays illuminated. When I apply the brakes, both tail lamps and the 3rd brake light illuminate. All other turn signal bulbs work and the hazard flashers work properly.

The rear tail lamp on the Lumina contains one bulb #3057 (double filament for parking lights/brake lights). All other lights on the car work properly.

Any ideas what could be wrong? What needs to be checked? If I need parts to fix it?

Thanks for your help GM Tech.

0 answers to this question

Well looking at the schematic that I got, it looks like there is a setup in the turn signal switch that keeps the opposite brake light illuminated when the signal is on. The schematic shows this as a green wire to the taillight. So Im gonna test that wire for power, if that has no power then it looks like it may be the tuen signal switch.

Thanks for looking it up, I just didnt know if this was a common problem or not. :seeya:

I had a friend tell me that maybe the turn signal switch in the steering column may be bad. I am a little worried if I have to remove the column because the car has air bags. Is there a way to trouble shoot the switch to see if it’s the problem?

Archived