Tonneau Cover

mityike

I want to install a retractable cover on my 04 SB and am split between the Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit and the Roll.N.Lock. Any comments on either of these? I decided for the retractable because I am in and out of the bed alot, and hate to have to keep rolling / unrolling the cover. I also find the need for the entire bed sometimes, and dont like the hard covers because I dont know when I will need the whole bed, and dont want to worry about having to take the cover off / store it / and then put it on.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am awaiting the delivery of a RollBak cover from BAK industries. Its major selling point for me is the retention of the bed stake pockets. Took me about a month of research to decide on this cover. In the end it was between the RollBak and the Retrax noted above.

I ruled out the Pace Edwards, based on feedback from the local truck shops in my area. Those same shops primarily "hawk" the Roll-N-Lock, but I personally didn't like the idea of drilling the tailgate to install a rail for the locking mechanism to function. Not that it was a design problem, I just didn't want to have holes drilled into a new truck.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, decided against the retractable, too many varibles for the price. Purchased the LUND tri-fold and am very happy. 2 minutes to install, easy to fully remove, and nothing attached to the truck i.e. rails or canisters. Add a tailgate lock and its pretty secure.

:thumbs:

As an update, decided against the retractable, too many varibles for the price.  Purchased the LUND tri-fold and am very happy.  2 minutes to install, easy to fully remove, and nothing attached to the truck i.e. rails or canisters.  Add a tailgate lock and its pretty secure.

Dont mean to hijack the post but I have a tonneau cover question...............has anyone seen any tonneaus that install on the inside of the bed rails instead of the top?...........I have bed rail protectors, the tubular aluminum ones and I would like to get a tonneau...........buit it obviously cant install on top of the rails.

Oh I almost forgot.........my truck is a 2000 silverado z71 xtra-cab short box.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions.

Dont mean to hijack the post but I have a tonneau cover question...............has anyone seen any tonneaus that install on the inside of the bed rails instead of the top?...........I have bed rail protectors, the tubular aluminum ones and I would like to get a tonneau...........buit it obviously cant install on top of the rails.

There are covers to fit your needs out there. I'm not sure about hardcovers (I have Fold-a-cover, and it uses the stake pockets, so no rails on mine). But my father has a softcover on his '04 along with the stainless Putco bedrail protectors. I don't know the brand but it looks sharp and he seems pretty happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chevydeerhunter
:seeya:
As an update, decided against the retractable, too many varibles for the price.  Purchased the LUND tri-fold and am very happy.  2 minutes to install, easy to fully remove, and nothing attached to the truck i.e. rails or canisters.  Add a tailgate lock and its pretty secure.

Here's a pic of a Retrax cover on a Silverado with rails.

chevysilverado-3101.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had good luck with an Extang cover. I had one on my 97 S-10 and it was still in great shape when I just sold the truck. I plan on getting the same one for my 07'Silverado. They have about 8 different styles - some with snaps, some without, lift up covers, roll up covers, etc. You can see them at Extang.com.

• 2 months later...
The tonneau covers look great. Do they effect gas mileage? with today's gas prices, it might be the deciding factor on a purchase.

thanks

dj

I would assume it would reduce drag on the tailgate, in turn increasing mileage.

but any effect would be minor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I want to install a retractable cover on my 04 SB and am split between the Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit and the Roll.N.Lock. Any comments on either of these? I decided for the retractable because I am in and out of the bed alot, and hate to have to keep rolling / unrolling the cover. I also find the need for the entire bed sometimes, and dont like the hard covers because I dont know when I will need the whole bed, and dont want to worry about having to take the cover off / store it / and then put it on.

Both of these retractable covers are great! I sell alot of both, I would have to say as far as price go with Roll.n.lock. I can get you a deal on either one.

• 5 weeks later...

Both of these retractable covers are great! I sell alot of both, I would have to say as far as price go with Roll.n.lock. I can get you a deal on either one.

If you live where there is snow, you should go for a solid or folding cover. Retractables get frozen in ice and are a pain.

Archived