Photo
- - - - -

Prepping for plow?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZORA74

ZORA74

Enthusiast

• 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

I am looking at buying a 98 GMC 1/2 ton ex. cab Z71 with tow package. I want to equip the truck with a 7.5' Curtis plow (690lbs). My prep list so far includes full fluid change, shocks, torsion bar adjustment, and adding Timbrens. What else should I consider doing to prep the truck.

I know many of you will suggest just going for the 2500 series, but they just aren't in my price range in the condition I am looking for.

#2 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,911 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:42 PM

If it dosen't already have one (which it might since it has the trailering pkg.)
Definetly add an auxilary tranny cooler.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#3 DougsTJ2

DougsTJ2

Enthusiast

• 71 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:13 PM

I'm probably wrong...but I thought I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to use a plow on a 1/2 Ton.

I think I read something like the snow plow package was only available for 3/4 ton's and up...

#4 RyanZ71

RyanZ71

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

<sigh> I know you don't want to hear it but I have to say it and I say it out of respect for a good truck, The 1500 Z71 should not be used for plowing. I am very sure you can find a 2500 or 3500 for a good price in which the plowing will be better suited for you. A 1/2 ton truck just isn't made for that kind of abuse, I see 1/2 ton trucks here in Colorado that have plows on them but they are so old and beat up people don't really care what happens to them.

#5 Worktruck

Worktruck

Enthusiast

• 488 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:31 AM

<sigh> I know you don't want to hear it but I have to say it and I say it out of respect for a good truck, The 1500 Z71 should not be used for plowing. I am very sure you can find a 2500 or 3500 for a good price in which the plowing will be better suited for you. A 1/2 ton truck just isn't made for that kind of abuse, I see 1/2 ton trucks here in Colorado that have plows on them but they are so old and beat up people don't really care what happens to them.

I have a 2002 Sierra 1500 that has been used for plowing for 3 years. I plow about 8 driveways plus my own. I think you'll be fine if you remember that your driving a 1/2 ton truck. Don't go out thinking you can plow a foot of heavy wet snow all at once. Just use some common sense. I always plow in tow haul mode and am careful about making shift changes from D to R or vice versa without coming to a complete stop. You problably have the 4L60 tranny that will not be to forgiving of abuse. I changed the torsion bar keys and added a leaf to the rear. A tranny cooler is also a must. If you have the tow package you may have the tranny cooler already. Good Luck. Jeff
Posted Image
2002 Sierra 1500 Ext 4wd
7 1/2' Fisher MM
Ford Keys
Hellwig helpers
XM Radio
Flowmaster Force II
170 amp alt
Dual batteries

#6 Scgtpcpe

Scgtpcpe

Enthusiast

• 20 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

My 04 silverado came from the factory with the snow plow prep package. And yes it is the 1500 series with a 5.3L. You shoulden't have any problems plowing with your truck. I don't have a plow for my silverado yet. So you know what I plow with, my 86 S10. Yes an S10 with a 7' Fisher power angle plow. I have owned the S10 for 5 years now and plowed with it every year. I couple years ago we had 20" of snow here in Pittsburgh, I just throw the S10 in 4low and hold it down! If my S10 can do it, so can a 1500 Silverado!
2004 Silverado 4X4 5.3 RCLB, K&N Intake, Speedliner, Remote Start, Nerf Bars, Tonneau, Ventvisors, Bug Shield and I'm not done yet....Actually, I am done. I just bought a ZX-12R Ninja. Hard to go much faster than that!!!

#7 jctb

jctb

Enthusiast

• 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

I agree with Worktruck. I have an 02 Chevy 1/2 ton Z71 with a Meyer plow, 3 winters so far no problems. I plow my own drive and sometimes a couple more. Had a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton before this one that plowed for 8 winters, zero problems. Before that I had an 84 Chevy 1/2 ton that plowed for 5 winters, also no problems. Maintain your equipment and use a little common sense and Chevy trucks will do amazing things for you. Here in Michigan a lot of people plow with 1/2 ton trucks. They just don't normally do commercial plowing with them.

JCTB

#8 99silveradoz71

99silveradoz71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:27 PM

I think what some above were getting at was that the 1/2 CAN be used to plow, but probably isn't the greatest choice if you're looking to make a business out of it. I wouldn't mind having a plow on my 99 ext cab z71, but $ and the brush guard will keep me from that until I get rid of the truck more than likely. I know our public works department uses S-10's and Wranglers to do the walks around city hall and such over the winter.
Posted Image
2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 3.73 Blue Granite

#9 tryn2lrn

tryn2lrn

Enthusiast

• 383 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

I have an 04 1500 Sierra and have a 7.5' plow on it with no issues (personal use only). If you are going to use it to start a plowing business I might reconsider, but for a driveway or two you'll be fine. You might not need the Timbrens unless you plan to drive alot with the plow on, I don't use them, I also don't drive around town with the plow dangling all day though. Good Luck
Someone once told me how to fix stuff. All you need is duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape. If it should move and doesn't use the WD40.

#10 Worktruck

Worktruck

Enthusiast

• 488 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:15 AM

I think what some above were getting at was that the 1/2 CAN be used to plow, but probably isn't the greatest choice if you're looking to make a business out of it.

Exactly the point.

You might not need the Timbrens unless you plan to drive alot with the plow on, I don't use them, I also don't drive around town with the plow dangling all day though.

I wouldn't leave a plow hanging off the front of a 1 ton all day either. I get a kick out of the trucks I see up here in Maine for sale in the spring and summer that have a plow hanging off the front and for sale on the side of the road. Ya, plow off the ground and the truck sitting for months that way. Makes me wanna rush up and buy it. :D
Posted Image
2002 Sierra 1500 Ext 4wd
7 1/2' Fisher MM
Ford Keys
Hellwig helpers
XM Radio
Flowmaster Force II
170 amp alt
Dual batteries

#11 sonjaab

sonjaab

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,153 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:10 AM

ZORA...............As a long time plower..............That truck will
plow just FINE.

You already have the tow and Z package so you already have
the aux. trans. cooler, oil cooler, HD susp. etc..............

NO need for Timbrens since your gonna use a 7 1/2 ft.
straight blade. Only a couple of twists on your torsion bars
IF NECESSARY!

Are you buying a NEW plow ? If so IMO go with a new
Western Ultra-mount. VERY dependable and NO pesky
external solenoids like a Meyers...............
Guys at the plow sites I post at either swear AT or by a
Meyers ! :seeya:

This time of year a lightly used plow is EASY to find in snow
country.
Plus you can save a BUNCH of $$$ over buying new

Check out these sites for real world plowing info:
http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums
http://www.plowsite.com/forums

Good luck and keep us posted!.................geo

Edited by sonjaab, 13 June 2005 - 10:11 AM.

Posted Image
Alexandria Bay NY & Syracuse NY
Daytona Beach FL