Shift Kit for a 4L80E

Anyone have any advice on what the best shift kit would be for a 4L80E?

Also, how difficult are they to install?

I have a '02 CCSB 2500HD 4X4, 6.0L, w/4.10 locker.

You know, you could get the same benefits of a shift kit, PLUS the added power and economy and drivability, with a Wester's tune.

And... they're on sale right now !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So help me out here. I'm not completely familiar with all of the benefits of a shift kit, but I'm pretty sure that it is going to accomplish more towards helping the performance/longevity of the transmission than a PCM mod would accomplish other than adjusting firmness and possibly shift points. I'm pretty sure that a shift kit is going to do a lot more than that.

I've followed these forums for a year or two now and do recognize the benefits of a custon-tuned PCM. I've actually ordered one from another vendor. However, in reading a lot of other threads on this board as well as others, I have come to the realization that to adequately protect your transmission, especially if most or all of the tm has been removed, a shift kit is required. Do you agree?

I am still researching, but from what I've seen a shift kit package (such as TransGo) comes with a lot of replacement parts that I have to believe are going to do more than just a PCM tune could do towards helping my transmission live a long life.

I certainly welcome the wisdom of those on this board. This is just what I've ben able to determine thus far.

I'm not so sure that a shift kit will extend the life of your tranny. It can make it more efficient and work better for you depending on your use.

I have 124,000 miles on my 4L80 with no problems. Every 25,000 miles I get the tranny and cooler flushed. The change the filter, exchange all the fluid and do a quick analysis of the old fluid. This is just a precaution to see if there is any excess metal and to see if the tranny has overheated.

I don't know what a pcm tune will do, from what I understand it does electronically what a shift kit does mechanically.

I have put a few shift kits on older, non-computer controlled trannies. They aren't hard at all to put in. Just be very careful and precise.

I'm not so sure that a shift kit will extend the life of your tranny. It can make it more efficient and work better for you depending on your use.

I have 124,000 miles on my 4L80 with no problems. Every 25,000 miles I get the tranny and cooler flushed. The change the filter, exchange all the fluid and do a quick analysis of the old fluid. This is just a precaution to see if there is any excess metal and to see if the tranny has overheated.

I don't know what a pcm tune will do, from what I understand it does electronically what a shift kit does mechanically.

I have put a few shift kits on older, non-computer controlled trannies. They aren't hard at all to put in. Just be very careful and precise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the input. Haven't decided to do anything just yet. I just get concerned about what increased hp and torque will do to the tranny when shifts are dialed in at a firmer than stock setting.

I bit the bullet a while back and got an HPPIII handheld, mainly because I upgraded my tire size and didn't want to spend upwards of $500 on a new PCM. It did perform well in recallibrating my speedo and I did notice a slight gain in power at wot. I recently set the shifting setting to firmer and while it does have some advantages, I worry about what this will do to my tranny with increased hp and trq when the new PCM gets in. Based on what I was experiencing with my HPPIII, I told them to only make the shifts slightly firmer than normal and only remove tm to what they considered a safe level. Should get the new PCM in the next day or so. I'll see then if I need to do anything else. Maybe it's not a problem. Just looking to protect my vehicle for the long term.

If I'm correct Westers may be on sale but Nelson's is still cheaper. $490 for a tune--Westers is $540?, plus $150 core--Nelsons shipping is $20 2 day, VS $40 for a week shipping.

Not hating on anyone but dosent seem like a sale to me.

I may be wrong now. .

• 7 years later...

Anyone have any advice on what the best shift kit would be for a 4L80E?

Also, how difficult are they to install?

I have a '02 CCSB 2500HD 4X4, 6.0L, w/4.10 locker.

Im going to offer this advise to anyone looking for a shift kit for the 4L80E "You Dont need a Shift Kit"

pick up a bigger boost valve for the pump,then drill out the 3 feed holes in the stock seperator plate and this is the same thing a shift kit does.

if you have an ATSG manual follow these directions

drill out feed hole # 37 to .125

Drill out feed hole #33 to .140

drill out feed hole # 23 to .106

those are for very-very firm shifts, if you want just a firm shift use those numbers as a maximum guide.

For just an improvement over stock

Drill 37 to .093

Drill 33 to .106

Drill 23 to .093

My shift kit had me drill these out and replace some springs inside the transmission but its not mandatory to do the inside mods

Archived