No Headlamps (Low beams)

Ok. This is going to be one of those lengthy posts but I think it’s worth it. I’ve found a lot of excellent information on this site and I really hope someone can help me with this elusive problem I am having.

The Problem: Low beam headlamps not working. (Sometimes)

I own a 2001 Tahoe and am having a problem with the low beams. Sometimes they just decide not to work. It’s like the truck is haunted. Its night. I get in, turn the key on (before I actually start it) and no headlamps. I start the truck… still no headlamps. I turn the switch to turn them on manually… no headlights. The weird thing is everything else is on and working properly. Dash lights, parking lights, taillights… everything. I hit the dimmer switch and the highs come on. Hit it again, and no low beams.

Next day I get into the truck and everything works fine. Low and high beams work. (night time)

3-4 days later the problem reoccurs.

Since I never know when this is going to happen it’s getting to the point that I basically have to drive home with my high beams on, with no headlights, or get a ride home.

Ideas to the problem:

Faulty light sensor that automatically turns on the lights – I can’t turn on the lights manually with the switch. I would think this would rule this part out.

Faulty relay – Replaced. No change in problem. (This is the relay in the fuse box under the hood)

Dimmer switch – Called the dealership and they didn’t seem to think this is the problem. (Although they couldn’t offer me another solution) They also informed me that a new dimmer switch is around $350!! Yikes. If I pay this much, I want to make sure this is the problem.

Has anyone got any ideas here? I mean excluding all the automatic electronic stuff, I would think that I should be able to turn on the switch, and the lights should come on. But their not. Something is not allowing that. What do you think it could be? Remember, the problem is intermittent.

I appreciate any input or advice. I’m not an electrician, but understand the basic fundamentals. And this problem is really start to be a stone in my shoe. :chevy:

Thanks for the tip...

I'd still like to get some more input on this issue.

CORE CHARGE: $0.00

GM LIST: $299.05 <- GM

OUR PRICE: $149.53 <- GMpartsdirect

Exorcist?

Seriously, no way would I pay 350$ for the dimmer switch, check EBAY, bone yards, FOR SALE/WANTED section, gm-partsdirect.com. I got mine from a member for less than 20$.

I agree with you that it probably isn't the sensor for auto headlights. If it were, you wouldn't be able to use the high beams either.

I would suggest doing the 4 headlights on high beam mod if you can on your particular truck. If you can do it, you would find out whether or not it is the dimmer switch. If all 4 headlights work when the switch is on hi, but no low beams on lo, it's likely the switch or harness.

Good luck, and hope you find it easy to fix and it's not a dimmer switch.

No offense, but I am anti 4 high beam mod. I just think it's too much pull on the wiring and have read some not so good stories about that particular mod. Maybe I'll just spend the 150 bucks... I hope it fixes it.

I agree with you that it probably isn't the sensor for auto headlights.  If it were, you wouldn't be able to use the high beams either.

I would suggest doing the 4 headlights on high beam mod if you can on your particular truck.  If you can do it, you would find out whether or not it is the dimmer switch.  If all 4 headlights work when the switch is on hi, but no low beams on lo, it's likely the switch or harness.

Good luck, and hope you find it easy to fix and it's not a dimmer switch.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue with the interior lights not working, it was narrowed down to either the switch or the BCM, I tried the switch first (much cheaper in my case), and whoolah fixed. Even 150 is pretty steep, are you talking about the dash switch?

• 2 weeks later...

>I would suggest doing the 4 headlights on high beam mod if you can on your particular truck. If you can do it, you would find out whether or not it is the dimmer switch. If all 4 headlights work when the switch is on hi, but no low beams on lo, it's likely the switch or harness.<

O.K., I'll bite. What is the '4headlights on high beam mod'? I assume it's splicing the tan lo beam wire to the yellow headlight feed wire just before the dimmer switch so that the lo beams stay on when the high beams are turned on? (I have the composite headlights.)

Archived