Daytime Running Lights Out

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the information on the DRL's. Wouldn't you know it my driver's side light burned out yesterday, just about 34k and 3 yrs exactly. I would like to replace the bulbs with http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/315x-xLX3.htm. Does anyone know anything about these?

The truth is the fed's have a Trans. Order 305 that all law enforcement officers can enforce that basically states, if your vehicle came with it from the factory, it must be in working order. Therefore, if your vehicle came from the factory with DRL's and they are not working, in Wisconsin that means, as of this moment, a $160.80 fine. Be careful and keep it working so that you don't get pulled over and fined. Remember, if you don't have ties to the community, that means you go to jail until you can post bail. Good luck.

On the GMT 800's there is a voltage difference from the right and left DRL which causes one bulb to burn out faster. Then you get into the cycle of replacing the burned out bulb only and then the older bulb tehn burns out more quickly (bulbs should be replaced in pairs, this is true of headlights as well)

I think DRL's are retarded anyway and I got tired of replacing DRL's so I simply unplugged them.

I understand that you can buy balanced bulbs at the dealer that compensates for the voltage diff from L and R DRL's.

Heres a bulletin from GM on the use of new bulbs,Its from a few years back but still applys to the newr trucks also........

Document ID# 1349460

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Info - Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Bulb Replacement #00-08-42-010A - (06/20/2003)

Models: 2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models

2000-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra Pickup Models

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model information and to announce availability of new DRL bulb part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-42-010 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

A new 14 volt DRL bulb, P/N 15199562 (trade bulb #4114K), is now available for use whenever a DRL lamp bulb on the above listed vehicles requires replacement. This more robust, higher voltage DRL bulb replaces P/N 1999482 (trade bulb #4157K). These bulbs should be replaced in pairs for customer satisfaction.

Parts Information:

Part Number:15199562 Description:Bulb,Daytime Running Lamp

Parts are expected to be available 6-27-2003 from GMSPO.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1349460

I find it intertesting that the OEM DRL bulbs tend to fail but aftermarket ones do not. About a month after I bought my then-new 99 Z71, a DRL bulb went out. The dealer replaced the bulb with no problems but when I asked about the large number of NBS truck I had seen with only one bulb working, the service writer commented that the bulbs normally don't fail and they ha not seen any rush of people wanting new bulbs

So this was close to 7 years ago and every day I still see a half-dozen NBS rigs of various years with only one eye. :flag:

I replaced my OEM white bulbs with the Sylvania Long Life amber bulbs in early 2000 and they are still working fine. It makes me wonder why GM had to develop a 14v bulb to take care of the problem when all they probably needed to do was to buy a bunch of the Sylvania Long Life bulbs and use those. :cool:

I was washing my truck the other day and, like other people, noticed that the reflector is indeed discolored and the bulb base/socket seems charred. I was certainly not impressed. Whatever, I guess I'll just wait for it to self destruct and then not replace it. That should solve that problem.

Thanks for the information on the DRL's. Wouldn't you know it my driver's side light burned out yesterday, just about 34k and 3 yrs exactly. I would like to replace the bulbs with http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/315x-xLX3.htm. Does anyone know anything about these?

The truth is the fed's have a Trans. Order 305 that all law enforcement officers can enforce that basically states, if your vehicle came with it from the factory, it must be in working order. Therefore, if your vehicle came from the factory with DRL's and they are not working, in Wisconsin that means, as of this moment, a $160.80 fine. Be careful and keep it working so that you don't get pulled over and fined. Remember, if you don't have ties to the community, that means you go to jail until you can post bail. Good luck.

So if my cargo light is burned out they can put me in the slammer? Just kidding, but I seriously doubt most cops know which year/make/model of all vehicles came with DRL's. I took the fuse for mine out 4 years ago, no problems. :cool:

So if my cargo light is burned out they can put me in the slammer? Just kidding, but I seriously doubt most cops know which year/make/model of all vehicles came with DRL's. I took the fuse for mine out 4 years ago, no problems. :cool:

Hmmm, how can a local LEO know enough about the gazillion Federal laws to be able to enforce them? Besides having to figure out which cars came with DRL's, some vehicles with DRL's have a way of turning them off. So a cop would have to know which cars have them in the first place, which ones can be turned on and off and which one's can't. And what if both bulbs are burned out?

There may still be small-town justice around, but if it was me that got pulled over in bumf***, South Dakota and got hit with a ticket for a burned-out DRL that would cost a couple hundred bucks, you can bet that I would plead not guilty, use my AAA car for any bail, and go retain the biggest, meanest shyster law firm I could find and make sure that the media would know what is going on.

• 3 years later...

04 denali suv here with 53K mileage, cherished this car. :thumbs:

Same problem with 4114k bulbs and burn't DLR socket. Bulbs burn't out years ago. Decided to check the problem while changing headlights which last no more than 6 months, high or low beams. I pulled the drivers side bulb out with socket and had to pry out bulb.

It appears this socket is burnt but salvageable probably due to not replacing. I can't believe the socket goes for $25.-$45. Thats ludicrous.

A search online led me to links that all GMC truck line sierra, escalade, etc. have the same voltage surge and socket failure. A fire or melted harness is inevitable for some.

I bought this vehicle as a retirement present for me and my wife. $53K loaded. Value now low teens. The flaking radio crap painted buttons on a heated surface shows the downgrade quality of GM Corp and started the failure of the vehicle. Replaced them myself after finding them 1/2 price online, shame same crap, no upgrade. Steering wheel buttons are slated to go also and are twice as hot while driving. The oil cooler line is rusted and ready to go. Frame rusting and live no where near the ocean. ETC> ETC>The AWU getting $65. an hour is also a disgrace and the auto companies should have never been bailed out. Have had 2 Japan cars, both have never had a problem, other than burn out bulbs w/o burn't socket, fluids and wipers. All parts break down to eliminate expense.

Now seeing that I'm stuck with this luxury piece of crap, maybe u can help me. Anyone know where to get the socket without getting raped or the part # would be great. After reading on this forum, the problems and solutions, I was gonna go with the 4114LL and wingit using the old socket, pending condition of passenger socket. Another forum had a couple of people using bulb grease, Dielectric grease non corrosive with positive results. Anyone have results with this product, believing it may dissipate the heat or whatever.

No offense to any owners on this forum, but it is what it is, thats why I'm here. This should be a general maintenance repair website not a complaint site which led me here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

I bought some nice white LED DRLs for my truck and within a week one was burnt out and the other one was strobing. Luckily I didn't get pulled over for a strobing drl...

You can find the new sockets at Auto Lumination and they have lots of bulbs as well.

I bought some nice white LED DRLs for my truck and within a week one was burnt out and the other one was strobing. Luckily I didn't get pulled over for a strobing drl...

You can find the new sockets at Auto Lumination and they have lots of bulbs as well.

Thanks masonbid for the quick reply, knew the answer was here. Going to the site now, all the best. I let u know how I make out.

DK

After five years of non-functioning DRL's, I decided to get them going again a while ago. Yes the sockets were a dark brown color from the heat. They are very touchy and don't grip the bulbs like they should, but they work. I replaced them with Sylvania 4114LL ambers and to my surprise, both are still on every time I see a reflection of the truck while driving.

Archived