Daytime Running Lights Out

..I replaced both of mine at 10K with 3157NALL (amber long life) and have yet to replace them again and I'm up to 148K. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My '03's 3157NALL now has three years or so of use at about 42,000 miles of mainly daytime driving. Nothing burned out.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe Velocity LEDs would fail when used as DRLs, but I really don't think that's true of all LEDs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not so sure.

Check out this website: http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Look partway down the page for the bold red comment on GM DRLs.

I don't understand the corolation between the DRL's and the police. DRL's are not required on vehicles and therefore cannot be written up as a violation. I do agree however that I have seen a lot of the NBS DRL's blown out on the road. My OBS on the other hand, have never blown out...........

I don't understand the corolation between the DRL's and the police.  DRL's are not required on vehicles and therefore cannot be written up as a violation.  I do agree however that I have seen a lot of the NBS DRL's blown out on the road.  My OBS on the other hand, have never blown out...........

I'm of the camp that checks ALL exterior lighting including license plate bulbs, etc. Why give a reason to pull you over. Yes, I agree that I don't think it is a ticketable offense but does that mean he never pulls you over in the first place? Little late if he finds a problem after he pulls you over (like that body stuffed in the trunk :cheers: ). Not that I ever do anything illegal in my truck, it's just one of those "why take a chance that he may pull me over".

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know where to get the 4114 bulbs? I've been looking and can't find them anywhere. Or are these a dealer only item?

Funny you mention that,The last time I called our local NAPA or independent parts store they didn't have a listing for the 4114K bulbs,thats been awhile ago so I don't know if they have them now,But their only $3.25 each at the dealer,The GM part number on them is 15199562.

If your alternator is working right, you should get 15.4 to 15.6 volts briefly after a hard start or if the battery has been rundown a little (like listening to the sound system or using lights) before the most recent start.  Within a minute, the voltage should settle in between 14.2 to 14.7 volts, dependent on ambient temperatures.  After several minutes should settle in about 13.5 to 13.8 volts.

He didn't specify whether he meant voltage or current spikes.  In any case, apparently the present LEDs are not hardy enough to tolerate these higher voltages.

No reason why you can't put LED's in if you incorporate a time delay circuit. Basically turns on the lights a few seconds after starting! :confused:

Mine in my '03 turn off in Park. R or D gets lights, not sure about N though. I think Parking Brake also turns them off, but I haven't checked.

I was looking at mine the other day and noticed there is a big hazy spot inside above the bulbs. The haze is on the silver reflector. Somehow, I doubt that will be easy to get off there.

Also, my sockets are getting very brown, like they are seeing way excess heat. Both are the same.

Then, I noticed something that really made me wonder. Why are they using a dual filament bulb with only the bright one on? Is there any way to flip the socket or rewire it so the dim one is on instead?

Another question: Is the lamp socket connectorized at the back, so it can be replaced without splicing or replacing the harness? I haven't had one go out yet, so I don't know what I'll be up against...

The hazing on the silver reflector can't be repaired. It's actually heat damaged.

You can replace the socket without cutting & splicing, usually the sockets can be removed from the terminals by using a tiny screwdriver and pushing in the right places on the terminals.

They're using a dual filament bulb because it's cheaper and easier to buy in bulk. They can use the same bulbs in the taillights and on other models of cars. If you wanted, you can replace them with 4156 or 3156 bulbs that are single filament. You'd have to rewire the socket to use the low power filament instead.

• 4 months later...

my drivers side running light burned out and darned if I can figure out how to replace it. Not enough room from the top and plastic covering from the bottom.

There has to be an easy way, what am I missing?

I feel so stupid, someone said even a 2 year old could do it.

The hazing on the silver reflector can't be repaired.  It's actually heat damaged.

You can replace the socket without cutting & splicing, usually the sockets can be removed from the terminals by using a tiny screwdriver and pushing in the right places on the terminals.

They're using a dual filament bulb because it's cheaper and easier to buy in bulk.  They can use the same bulbs in the taillights and on other models of cars.  If you wanted, you can replace them with 4156 or 3156 bulbs that are single filament.  You'd have to rewire the socket to use the low power filament instead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't understand the corolation between the DRL's and the police.  DRL's are not required on vehicles and therefore cannot be written up as a violation.  I do agree however that I have seen a lot of the NBS DRL's blown out on the road.  My OBS on the other hand, have never blown out...........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No its not required but a Police officer is always looking and if he sees a light out he's going to look closer does not mean just DRL's but all lights. Licence lights seem to be there pet peave around here along with missing tailgates.

Best bet is a clean,well kept vehicle and less hassle.

my drivers side running light burned out and darned if I can figure out how to replace it. Not enough room from the top and plastic covering from the bottom.

There has to be an easy way, what am I missing?

I feel so stupid, someone said even a 2 year old could do it.

Pull out the headlight assembly by removing the two pins that hold it in. Once the headlight assembly is moved out of the way you have easy access.

Archived