how to disable daytime running lights

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dmproske

dmproske

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:11 AM

I tried the search feature, but got an error page.

Anyone know what fuse to pull to disable the daytime running lights on an 05 Envoy?

#2 Envoy Fan

Envoy Fan

Enthusiast

• 262 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:25 AM

I tried the search feature, but got an error page.

Anyone know what fuse to pull to disable the daytime running lights on an 05 Envoy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure which fuse to pull, but if you turn the headlamp knob all the way left the DRL's will be turned off. Need to do this everytime though. :thumbs:
Posted Image

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LT

#3 dmproske

dmproske

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:42 AM

Yeah I know, I can remember to do that on my sierra HD, but I don't think the wife will remember to do that everytime in the envoy. I have some Silverstar bulbs that I want to put in the envoy, but no need to run those expesnive bulbs all the time during the day...

I found a fuse that disables the DRL, but also disables the normal headlight function.

#4 haulin1500HD

haulin1500HD

Enthusiast

• 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:08 PM

I know in the pickups you can turn the "Dome Override" button on and off for I think (2) cycles and the DRLs will remain off until you restart the vehicle. I don't know if the Envoy has such a button, but give it a try if it does

#5 BBSilverado

BBSilverado

Enthusiast

• 927 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:31 PM

pull the DRL relay out of the underhood fuse center.
2004 Silverado LT 2500HD Reg. Cab 8.1/Allison 285 Firestone Destination's, leather Interior & full console, Nav HU w/ indash 6 disc changer K&N FIPK Warn 9000# winch, more to come
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition 5.2L 255/65R16 Goodyears

#6 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:02 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck with that. There is no DRL relay. There are only two relays related to headlamps, the HDM relay and the HIGH beam relay. The HDM "relay" looks for all the world like a relay, but it's really an electronic module.

The BCM provides a pulse width modulated ground signal to this HDM module to control the low beams. If the BCM wants DRLs, it provides a 85% duty cycle. For normal low beams, 100% duty cycle or 0% for off.

No way you're going to easily defeat these since there's no separate circuit for the DRLs. Defeat the DRLs and you'll have no low beams.

#7 subzerorider

subzerorider

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:47 AM

Unfortunatly disabling the DRL's isn't as sinple as pulling the fuse however the DRL's should be able to be disabled by grounding the DRL defeat switch signal from the BCM. It is the Lt green wire coming into the headlamp switch on the 12 cavity connector pin F. Grounding that wire should stop your DRL's from coming on.

#8 pjaneiro

pjaneiro

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck with that. There is no DRL relay. There are only two relays related to headlamps, the HDM relay and the HIGH beam relay. The HDM "relay" looks for all the world like a relay, but it's really an electronic module.

The BCM provides a pulse width modulated ground signal to this HDM module to control the low beams. If the BCM wants DRLs, it provides a 85% duty cycle. For normal low beams, 100% duty cycle or 0% for off.

No way you're going to easily defeat these since there's no separate circuit for the DRLs. Defeat the DRLs and you'll have no low beams.

If i were to ask the tech to re-proghram the bcm with the t62 rpo instead of the t61 would that resolve my drl issues ? i need to install an hid kit, but i don't want to start installing more hardware than i need to...

#9 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

This should make you guys that don't like DRLs happy... http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

Here is another angle: http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/

Just goes to prove... There's a nut for every squirrel.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#10 fourwheelinfool

fourwheelinfool

Enthusiast

• 94 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:38 PM

Pfft. I changed mine to amber lights. Now it looks cool. :cheers:
How to Install Dual Batteries

|||||||||||||||||||||||
~ BUY AMERICAN! ~
|||||||||||||||||||||||

Anthroprogenic Global Warming is BUNK!
~Advocates Against Solar Warming~

Doing my part to rid the world of gasoline!

#11 SiriusFan

SiriusFan

Enthusiast

• 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

I finally figured out how to disable the lights.

On my 2008 I pulled the dash pod off. Took the switch out and took the spring that makes the knob turn back to the on position. With this spring removed the knob stays in the off position. Most of my driving is done during the day so this fits my situation better.

#12 DenaliBob

DenaliBob

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

I have a 2008 Denali. Would this work for me? I hate the DRL's, since I just converted my lights to HID.

On my 2008 I pulled the dash pod off. Took the switch out and took the spring that makes the knob turn back to the on position. With this spring removed the knob stays in the off position. Most of my driving is done during the day so this fits my situation better.

#13 SiriusFan

SiriusFan

Enthusiast

• 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

I have a 2008 Denali. Would this work for me? I hate the DRL's, since I just converted my lights to HID.

As long as the switch is the same I do not see why not. I havn't seen the Denali interior.

#14 WaterSkier2

WaterSkier2

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

Go to the bottom of

http://www.gm-trucks...;hl=disable drl

#15 stadt11

stadt11

www.LMGTFY.com

• 1,562 posts
  • Drives:2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L Crew

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

Go to the bottom of
http://www.gm-trucks...;hl=disable drl

I know this is old thread, just wanted to throw in my $.02. I don't think the same procedure will work for the Envoy that it will for a Sierra.

I have an '05 Envoy and I bought a DRL Killer (there's a guy on TrailVoy that makes them - tblazed). You have to "kill" the DRL at the BCM within the Fuse Box under the rear seat.

Here's a picture of the DRL Killer installed:

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users