265/70/16 tires vs 265/75/16 Tire question

I have a 2001 5.3L Chevrolet Suburban. Currently it has stock tires 245/70/16's. I want to get a beefier tire without sacraficing performance and gas. I am looking either a AT Dueler or BF Goodridge AT. The problem is I don't know what size. Will

265/75/16 be heavier and cause my truck to lose speed? What's difference between the two?

When compared to a 245/70-16, a 265/70-16 is taller by about 1.1 inches and will result in a speedometer difference of 3.7% (Your speedo will be reading that much slower than your actual velocity)

A 265/75-16 is taller by about 2 inches and will result in your speedometer reading slower by about 7.3%.

i just put a set of 275/60/r18's on my truck and i noticed about 3 mpg decrease from my stock 255/70/r16's. with gas prices the way they are i'm not feeling the love in my pocket of my better looking truck!

Increasing tire diameter will change your MPG in different ways. For people driving mostly on highways or interststes they will see an increase in mileage and those doing alot of stop and go driving will see a decrease in mileage.

Wider tires will generally drop your mileage because a wider tire has more rolling resistance.

There are also factors like: weight, sidewall stiffness, air pressure, and tread design that will cause changes, some good and some bad.

I'm running Toyo Open Country 285/75-16's, 50psi on front, 40psi in rears. 2500HD, factory aluminum wheels, 4.10:1 rear axle, 4L80E. Click on View Vehicles (to the left, under my sig) to see a few pics.

i put on a 6pac of 285/75 16s A/Ts and with the way i drive mostly highway im getting better milage than b4 but im also running the 4.10 rear so it was just like raiseing my rear gear ratio

heres a site for yall it will tell you the exact size in inchs and let you compare how much of a real difference you will bet getting

http://www.s-series.org/htm/calc/tiresizeconv.htm

hope this helps yall out :confused:

I'm running Toyo Open Country 285/75-16's, 50psi on front, 40psi in rears.  2500HD, factory aluminum wheels, 4.10:1 rear axle, 4L80E.  Click on View Vehicles (to the left, under my sig) to see a few pics.

Did those 285's fit in the wheel well with no cutting or any other mod?.............they look great and was thinking of going to that size on my 1500 Z71. I wonder if 285's will fit on a 1500 without any mods? :cheers:

Guest chevydeerhunter
My 03 Sierra W/T 4x4 (4.8 L) extended cab has the 245/65/16s on it.  if i go to a wider tire, say, 265/65/16s, will that throw my speedometer off or is it only when the aspect ratio increases?

Lee

In your case, remember that the "65" denotes the sidewall height which is 65% of the tread width. When you increase your tire width from 245mm to 265mm, you're still increasing the sidewall height and that increases the diameter. So you're not just increasing the tread width. That change will throw off your speedo.

As a matter of fact, your speedo will be 3.6% slow. When you speedo shows you traveling at 60 mph, your actually going 62.2mph.

If you want to go wider, go with a 265/60/16. That should put you about dead on.

Archived