Yukon XL Parking Brake Failure

I have a 2001 Yukon XL 1500 series with an automatic transmission and limited slip rear end.

At about 3,000 miles the parking brake would not hold and was adjusted.

At about 12,000 miles the same problem occurred and was adjusted again ...

When it failed to work at 15,000 miles I just gave up on it and have not been engaging the parking brake.

At 36,000 miles I am now changing front and rear brake pads and realize that the parking shoes had warn to the metal drum.

I understand that a TSB was issued and a fix instituted for the same problem on the same vehicle when it has a a manual transmission.

I have not been able to locate any data on my specific vehicle.

Is there a fix for my problem?

I'd like to install any needed mods before installing the New Rotors, Brake Pads and Parking Brake Shoes :(

Thanks, Steve

[email protected]

I have a 2001 Yukon XL 1500 series with an automatic transmission and limited slip rear end.

At about 3,000 miles the parking brake would not hold and was adjusted.

At about 12,000 miles the same problem occurred and was adjusted again ...

When it failed to work at 15,000 miles I just gave up on it and have not been engaging the parking brake.

At 36,000 miles I am now changing front and rear brake pads and realize that the parking shoes had warn to the metal drum.

I understand that a TSB was issued and a fix instituted for the same problem on the same vehicle when it has a a manual transmission.

I have not been able to locate any data on my specific vehicle.

Is there a fix for my problem?

I'd like to install any needed mods before installing the New Rotors, Brake Pads and Parking Brake Shoes  :(

Thanks,  Steve

[email protected]

This is a long one, but all I could find:

Info - Rear Parking Brake Shoe Retaining Spring Clip Service Kit for Drum-in-Hat (DIH) Equipped Vehicles #02-05-26-001C - (Jan 19, 2005)

Rear Parking Brake Shoe Retaining Spring Clip Service Kit for Drum-in-Hat (DIH) Equipped Vehicles

2004-2005 Buick Rainier

2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade Models

2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

1998-2005 Chevrolet Blazer

1999-2005 Chevrolet Silverado Models

2000-2005 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2005 Chevrolet SSR, TrailBlazer Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Astro, Express

1998-2005 GMC Jimmy

1999-2005 GMC Sierra Models

2000-2005 GMC Yukon Models

2002-2005 GMC Envoy Models

2003-2005 GMC Safari, Savana

1998-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

This Bulletin ONLY applies to 1500 series vehicles with four wheel disc brakes.

This bulletin is being revised to include additional models and clarify parts usage information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-26-001B (Section 05 -- Brakes).

A rear parking brake retaining spring clip kit has been released for service. This kit consists of two parking brake hold down spring clips (2) and bolts (3).

Notice: Use J 46277 Rotor Removal Tool with J 6125-B Slide Hammer to remove the rotor from the vehicle. Place J 46277 between the rotor surfaces in the vent section of the rotor. DO NOT place J 46277 on the back side of the rotor surface, it may damage the rotor surface.

During rear brake rotor removal, it is possible to damage the parking brake shoe retaining spring clip. Order this new kit when replacement of the clips is required but the parking brake shoes do not require replacement.

Important: The spring clip kits mentioned in this bulletin do not address any parking brake concerns. Refer to the Parking Brakes sub-section of the Service Manual for any diagnostic information.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Spring Clip, Parking Brake Retainer Kit (1998-2000 S/T Classic Models)

Spring Clip, Parking Brake Retainer Kit (2001-2005 S/T Classic Models)

Spring Clip, Parking Brake Retainer Kit (2002-2005 S/T Models, SSR)

Spring Clip, Parking Brake Retainer Kit (C/K, M/L, G Models)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

When removal of the rear brake rotors results in damage to the spring clips on vehicles under warranty, use the following labor operation in conjunction with one of the kit part numbers listed above.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

H2956

Parking Brake Shoe Retaining Clip - Replace

0.9 hr

Add:

To Sand or Grind DIH (ONE SIDE)

0.2 hr

Add:

To Sand or Grind DIH (BOTH SIDES)

0.3 hr

Add:

To Sand Brake Shoes (ONE OR BOTH SIDES)

0.1 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 1583296

2001 GMC Truck Yukon XL - 2WD

And Another:

Info - Low Effort Parking Brake Apply System #01-05-26-001 - (Mar 19, 2001)

Low Effort Parking Brake Apply System

1999-2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K 15 and 25 Series Pickup Models (Silverado, Sierra)

2000-2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K 15 and 25 Series Utility Models (Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon XL)

2001 GMC C/K 15 and 25 Series Utility Models (Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL)

The vehicles indicated above have a "low effort" parking brake apply system. The design intent is that a low force on the park brake pedal will effectively apply the park brake. This was done so all operators can easily apply the park brake sufficiently to maintain the vehicle in a stationary position on an incline.

Owners should not interpret this low pedal effort as an indication of system effectiveness.

This park brake system is self-adjusting and there are no cable adjustment provisions on these vehicles. When a vehicle park brake system has been serviced and/or the brake rotor has been removed or replaced, ensure proper system setting is achieved by performing the following steps:

Verify that the park brake shoes are adjusted to provide a clearance of 0.66 mm (0.026 in) between the shoes and brake rotor as indicated in the applicable Service Manual procedure.

Fully apply and release the park brake lever three times.

Last one, I promise:

Document ID# 777349

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info - Brake Align System for Brake Rotor Lateral Runout Correction #01-05-23-001 - (Jan 31, 2001)

Brake Align® System for Brake Rotor Lateral Runout Correction

2001 and Prior Passenger Cars

This bulletin is being issued to update General Motors' position on correcting brake rotor lateral runout (Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 00-05-22-002 for additional brake rotor service procedures).

Important

Certain conditions may apply to individual vehicles regarding specific repairs. Refer to those specific repairs in applicable service bulletins. Make sure other possible sources of brake pulsation, such as ABS pedal feedback, have been addressed before checking rotor runout.

Anytime a new or refinished rotor is installed on a vehicle, the rotor must have .050 mm (.002 in) or less of lateral runout. This specification is important to prevent comebacks for brake pulsation. Until now, the only acceptable methods to correct brake rotor runout were to index or replace the rotor or to refinish the rotor using an on-vehicle brake lathe.

GM has approved a new technology for the correction of lateral runout on new or refinished rotors. This new method is called Brake Align®*. It will allow the technician to meet the .050 mm (.002 in) or less requirement for lateral runout by installing a specially selected, tapered correction plate between the rotor and the hub. The Brake Align® Correction system does NOT require the use of an on-vehicle brake lathe to correct for lateral runout.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from this firm or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

The Brake Align® Starter Kit will include an ample supply of Correction Plates, in various correction sizes, that will cover most current GM passenger car applications. It will also include a Brake Align® tool kit containing a dial indicator and retaining washers along with other useful tools.

Service Procedure

Follow all the procedures referred to in Corporate Bulletin Number 00-05-22-002. Dealers who have purchased the Brake Align® Starter Kit may use the following simplified runout correction procedure:

The existing rotors must first be machined on an approved, well-maintained bench lathe to guarantee smooth, flat, and parallel surfaces. Should the rotors require replacement, please note that it is not necessary to machine new rotors.

Make sure all the mating surfaces of the rotor and the hub are clean, using the J 42450-A Wheel Hub Cleaning Kit. Mount the new or refinished rotor onto the vehicle hub using the retaining washers provided in the kit. Do not reinstall the caliper or wheel at this time.

Tighten all the wheel nuts to the proper specification, using J 39544 Torque Socket or the equivalent.

Fasten the dial indicator to the steering knuckle so that the indicator needle contacts the rotor friction surface approximately 12.7 mm (1/2 in) from the rotor's outer edge.

Rotate the rotor and observe the total lateral runout.

Index the rotor on the hub to achieve the lowest amount of lateral runout. This will require removal and reassembly of the rotor until the lowest total lateral runout reading is obtained. If this reading is .050 mm (.002 in) or less, the assembled rotor is within specification. The brake system may be reassembled.

If total lateral runout is greater than .050 mm (.002 in), proceed with determining the correct Brake Align® Correction as follows:

Rotate the rotor to locate the lowest dial indicator reading and set the dial to zero.

Rotate the rotor to determine and locate the highest amount of lateral runout. Note the AMOUNT and LOCATION of the "high spot" on the rotor and mark the closest wheel stud relative to this location.

Remove the rotor.

Select the appropriate Brake Align® Runout Correction Plate for this vehicle using the included Application Chart. Make sure the selection corrects the amount of runout that was diagnosed.

Important

Never attempt to stack two or more Correction Plates together on one hub.

Never attempt to re-use a previously installed Correction Plate.

Following the Brake Align® procedures and diagram, install the Correction Plate onto the vehicle between the hub and the rotor. The V-notch in the Correction Plate is to be installed and aligned with the noted location of the "high spot" on the vehicle hub and marked wheel stud.

Install the rotor onto the vehicle with the Correction Plate placed between the hub and the rotor. Be sure to install the rotor onto the hub in the same location as identified in Step 7.

The rotor should then be secured onto the hub and tightened to the proper specification. The rotor should be dial indicated once more to assure that the rotor is now within specification. The brake system is now ready for the remaining service and assembly. Once the caliper has been installed, check to ensure that the rotor rotates freely

Parts Information

Brake Align® Runout Correction Plates are available through the following suppliers:

Dealer Equipment and Services

1-800-GM TOOLS

Brake Align® LLC

1-800-551-2228

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 777349

I changed by parking brake shoes on my 01 yukon 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton not long ago. The new shoes came with two clips for each side. One set was a stamped part and the other part was stamped with a piece of spring metal attached to the shoe side. Which clip is the new style?

Thanks

I changed by parking brake shoes on my 01 yukon 4 wheel drive 1/2  ton not long ago.  The new shoes came with two clips for each side.  One set  was a stamped part and the other part was stamped with a piece of spring metal attached to the  shoe side.  Which clip is the new style?

Thanks

My new style had a stamped part with spring steel "wings".

Archived