AC Delco plugs

Which plugs do you run?  

375 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I changed my plugs today. Of course Advance Auto said that I couldnt put Rapid Fires in my 8.1 because their computer called for irridium plugs. The irridium plugs they wanted me to get were $15.99 per plug. I promptly told the guy to get bent and went to the Chevy dealership. There they hooked me up with AC Delco Premium Performance Platinums. They were out of Rapid fires, but my parts manager said that these were just as good. So I went home and took my oldies out(very easy on my 8.1). I noticed that there was a s**teload of white, hard carbon deposits on them. All of them. Some even looked as if the porcelin had melted a little. No biggie, put the new ones in and she pulls like a champ now. I also noticed that AC Delco were not the factory plugs. Denso is now the factory plug due to the performance of IRRIDIUM. Dang it. The dealer didnt even tell me that Denso was an option. After researching it online I find all of this. I would have surely picked Denso had this been explained to me. But oh well. Any of you have problems with carbon build up, and how do you lessen it?

:cheers:

Supercop,There is not a Rapidfire plug listed for the 8100 engine,This is why nobody had them (They only list Rapidfires for the 4.3-V6)

The AC-Delco plugs you got (Which should have been GM part#12578277 or AC-Delco part#41-983) are Iridium plugs,They are the only sparkplugs GM lists in the parts catalog for the 8100 engine. :cheers:

No,If your using AC-Delco plugs,You'll be OK!

I'm a little confused though,Heres what it says in our GM parts catalog:

PART# USAGE: DESCRIPTION: YEAR USAGE:

12578277- CK2,3 8.1G (L18)- SPARK PLUG (AC-Delco#41-983)(IRIDIUM)- 01-06

But like you said,When I grabbed a box of them here it says right on the box "Platinum Spark Plugs"

I had 95,000 on a '99 ecsb that when I changed the plugs. The plugs looked just like the new ones I was putting in, but they had that light tan residue on them. The electrodes were not even worn, and I drive pretty hard too, not too much pussyfootin'.

With lasting power like that, I'll always use Delcos on my trucks.

• 2 months later...

O.K. I need to replace my plugs, but what do I use? Parts store has the AC Delco OE factory plug for $6 each, sparkplugs.com has Denso for $12 or NGK for $7. Is there that much of a difference in performance? Please Help!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Rebop,

what does the sticker under the hood call for plug gap? Use that. (my guess is they should be .060) Remember, you have to gap ALL plugs, especially when new.

the sticker does say .060" gap. i have a question into ac-delco, asking why they are at a .040" gap. these are all non-gappable plugs. any iridium, or platium plugs should not be re-gapped, due to the fact that the tip might break off.

• 2 weeks later...

The wider your plug gap is the leaner the fuel mixture can be. I run my Champion Double platinum plugs wider than stock for better milage. Todays ignitions will jump the gaps way beyond reason, I know I do peoples tune ups, so an extra 0.005 isn't a problem if you change plugs every 50K but it sure helps the mileage. Don't try it with a supercharger or NO2 though.

Vernon

Rebop,

what does the sticker under the hood call for plug gap? Use that. (my guess is they should be .060) Remember, you have to gap ALL plugs, especially when new.

the sticker does say .060" gap. i have a question into ac-delco, asking why they are at a .040" gap. these are all non-gappable plugs. any iridium, or platium plugs should not be re-gapped, due to the fact that the tip might break off.

We must be talking different plugs. My platinums are easily gapped, you just bend the side electrode.

• 1 month later...

Just put 8 of the Delco's on my '01 w/ 77K on it. The came gapped at .065 so I easily bent them down to .060. They are platinum, not iridium like the stockers, but were in pretty good shape. $6.46 per plug at Napa. Feels like I knocked at least .008 sec of my 0-60 time...oh yeah!

• 1 month later...

any iridium, or platium plugs should not be re-gapped, due to the fact that the tip might break off.

They should be gapped, but you are right, do not use a sliding wedge gap tool to widen the gap. there is a different type of tool that will grab the tip and bend it up without touching the electrode. I got mine at AutoZone.

• 2 weeks later...

Supercop, how many miles on your 8.1 when you changed the plugs? Do you use any anti-sieze on the threads so they'll come out easy after the next 100K miles?

Archived