Most miles on a chevy truck

A friend of mine bought a 89 2wd 2500 with 120,000 on it back in 92.He put 144000 more miles on it and it is now for sale for 2000 dollars.It had a 305 auto and went through 3 transmissions.It never  was wrecked and still has pretty good parts on it.And it runs.So when does a chevy get put to sleep?

My dad had a 79 sportside reg cab 2wd.  Sold it in 84 or 85 to a friend.  He then sold it to his son.  Last yr my dad found out it had over 350K miles.  Original engine (dont know which one for sure) and had the trans rebuilt once.  Only problem was it had some rust.

My grandpa had an 83 S-10 reg cab 2wd.  I had it for a few months after he died and i got rid of it when it had 280 some odd thousand miles on the original trans and motor

My 92 GMC 1500 Extra Cab Stepside had 206,714 miles on it when I sold it in Dec of 99.  Original engine and trans.

In Oct of '01,I talked to the guy that bought it and he had over 254,000 showing and he's only had to replace the starter.

I sold my 91 fullsize Jimmy with just over 200K on it and it ran like brand new. No leaks or oil burning at all. I think I had to put a battery, alternator and radiator in that, and maybe a set of brake pads in the 3 years I owned it. If you live where it won't rust, it can theoretically last forever if you maintain it mechanically and replace brakes/exhaust/battey..whatever.. as needed. Worst case scenario you have a mint truck with high miles and part of the drivetrain dies..If you love the truck and replace the eng. and/or trans+rearend, it starts the clock at zero again if all else is in good shape.

Here's a thought....if you replaced every single part once over a period of time..and I mean EVERY part....is it the same truck?

Hmmm... :D

Well this is kinda a Chev truck, we had a Astro Van that had 65,000 miles on it when we bought it and when we sold it 4 years later it had 185,000 the only thing we did was tires, gas, oil changes and fixed the #### radio because it would eat tapes all the time.  We gave $6500 for it and sold it for $3500 I wish all deals would come out like this one.

I have an 82 Chevy C10, 305 with a Quadrajet. It has 270,000 on it, but it is on its second motor, (I think the first was one of the 305 with a soft cam - replacement is a Goodwrench crate motor) and its on the 4th ! transmission.   :sleeping: I am a slow learner - when an auto tranny leaks fluid, it should be replenished... otherwise you burn up the clutches really fast. On one rebuild, the frictions looked like they had actually caught fire they were so burnt.  Drove the truck once for more than 6 miles after a hose blew, it was so hot that it siezed when I shut it off. 3 days later when it was 20 below it fired right up, and has been running since. Never even changed the oil after that... I suppose I should though, it hasn't been changed in 2 0r 3 years!  There isn't a body panel without a dent or severe rust, windshield is cracked, the doors sag badly, but it will start even after sitting for a month in subzero weather.

We have an '86 GMC 3500 with a 14 ft. rack side flatbed at work (plumbing co.) we use for deliveries that has 414,000 on it. Changed the tranny three times but still has the original engine. That truck has been probably been driven by about 50 different people over those years so most of those miles were pretty abusive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived