Photo
- - - - -

lp conversion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 reem

reem

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:31 AM

I have a 2003 2500hd 6.0 and was considering converting it to run of lp. Any info on this would be appreciated. I don't even know how feasible it even is. Just curious if anyone has looked into it. thanks

#2 Roofer

Roofer

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,710 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to the board. :chevy:
I've heard of a local guy in my area that has a LP conversion on his 8.1.
I don't know what it consists of, but I know it is possible. This guy's family owns a propane dealer, so he gets a discount on it. I have heard from some people better mileage and some say worse mileage. I have no first hand experience. I would think that refueling may be a pain though.
'09 RAM 3500 CUMMINS 4x4 SLT Bighorn QC LWB SRW, Mopar step bars, Prodigy controller, Access cover
'02 2500HD CC SB Duramax/Allison 4x4 (SOLD)
'00 F550 4x4 PSD w/roll off dumpsters
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 stealth

#3 Jester4736w

Jester4736w

Enthusiast

• 165 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

I would also like to find out more about this conversion... What about power, would I lose some?

#4 dannyukonxl

dannyukonxl

Enthusiast

• 383 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:56 PM

i think the mileage and horsepower will remain the same, just the engine will run far more efficiently on less fuel. its a totally feasible idea just the availability of fill up stations is very low :chevy:
[font="Optima"]2004 Yukon XL 2500 SLT 4x4 8.1, 3.73

#5 Haulin' 8.1

Haulin' 8.1

Enthusiast

• 670 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

One of my commercial customers (I manage a small NAPA Autocare) has brought in a couple of his trucks ('90's GM) with an alternate LP fuel control module installed. They had a large in bed tank. One was on a post '95 OBD II truck, the controller was labeled OBD II controller. I didn't pay a bunch of attention to them, at the time gas was still under $2. I can't remember the manufacturer but they do exist. I'll look for it and let you know. I was actually thinking of this same thing lately. I filled up two tanks for the travel trailer I'm taking to Louisianna and 30 gallons cost me $32. I was like, d**n I need one of those LP kits. I was at a hardware store near my house and work that's open 7 days a week. Hmmm, no problem keeping the truck full of LP here.

Some things I know about running LP fuel in a internal combustion are this. The octane is much higher but the BTU's are much lower. There's less thermal energy in LP so you use more for the same amount of work. So yes the mileage and power will be lower, but it's not enough to over ride the initial savings. You're pay (approximate figures here) 75% less per gallon for 30% less mileage. If you build an engine stricly for LP you can raise the compression ratio sky high, like 14:1 pop-ups, and regain some of the lost effeciency without detonation worries. LP burns absolutely clean, an engine that's run on LP will look shiney new when disasembled. Oil stays clean for much longer burning LP.

Those two trucks I worked on were Vortec 5.7's. They use a venturi type of carburetor that sits above the throttle body on those engines. There's a switch on the dash, like dual tanks, that activates the LP system and disables the factory fuel injection. By the time I saw them they were old and worn out. The LP didn't work for me anyways and pieces were in bad condition. Also heater hoses plumbed into the carb to heat the LP and vaporize it before it entered the intake. It would be a job to put something like this onto the LS1 style V8s we have now with the forward facing throttle.

It's got my interest now also due to the high cost of fuel and this Whipple charger I've got ready to install. There would be no detonation worries running LP, I could run lot's of boost and still spend less on fuel over all. Over 120 octane at $1.05 a gallon. That's my thinking anyways. Yeah I'd have to fill up more, sheese.

Vernon
2001 Siverado HD 2500 SBCC in Black
GM Vortec 8100, Allison, 3.73, 4X4
Mods: Goodmark SS cowl hood, Ranch Hand bumpers, black toolbox, custom bed cover, full tint, Volant with home made ram air, BBK 80mm TB, Granetelli MAF, Marine Injectors, Hypertech, Champion RS12YC plugs, Magnaflow 3" dual in X-path dual out muffler and tail pipes, Fuzion XTi 265's, Velvet Rides, Pioneer 10" subs, amps, you know the usual stuff.
Coming soon: 4.56 gears, Autorotor supercharger by Whipple with Duramax intercooler, and GM HP3 cylinder heads.
If you've modded your 8.1's timing and run hard try Champion RS12YC plugs gapped at 0.055". Less knock, more power. Yes you have to change them more often (25K), but this is a performance mod. Besides they're cheap and easy to do.

Yea though I drive the the valley of the shadow of Diesel,
I will fear no turbo;
For your horsepower art with me;
Your bore and stroke, they comfort me.

#6 Haulin' 8.1

Haulin' 8.1

Enthusiast

• 670 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:01 PM

Pirate 4x4 has a little bit of everything, from 14 bolt tech to LP conversion.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/propane/

Vernon
Mods: Goodmark SS cowl hood, Ranch Hand bumpers, black toolbox, custom bed cover, full tint, Volant with home made ram air, BBK 80mm TB, Granetelli MAF, Marine Injectors, Hypertech, Champion RS12YC plugs, Magnaflow 3" dual in X-path dual out muffler and tail pipes, Fuzion XTi 265's, Velvet Rides, Pioneer 10" subs, amps, you know the usual stuff.
Coming soon: 4.56 gears, Autorotor supercharger by Whipple with Duramax intercooler, and GM HP3 cylinder heads.
If you've modded your 8.1's timing and run hard try Champion RS12YC plugs gapped at 0.055". Less knock, more power. Yes you have to change them more often (25K), but this is a performance mod. Besides they're cheap and easy to do.

I will fear no turbo;

#7 Haulin' 8.1

Haulin' 8.1

Enthusiast

• 670 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

I found the company who's equipment I saw. No wonder they looked like blue MSD boxes, they are made by Autotronics, MSD's parent company.

http://www.dualcurve.com/

Vernon

#8 dannyukonxl

dannyukonxl

Enthusiast

• 383 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:07 AM

sounds like something to look into, do you know how these things sound with propane, i heard theyre real quiet
[font="Optima"]2004 Yukon XL 2500 SLT 4x4 8.1, 3.73

#9 dewfpo

dewfpo

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,777 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:41 AM

Check Out :

http://www.hybridfue...ine-bi-fuel.php

They have Bi-Fuel and LPG only kits (as well as natural gas).

DEWFPO

GM/Chevy 6.0L V8 Bi-Fuel LPG
Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) Platforms
BI Fuel LPG
Available for the GMC / Chevy 6.0 Liter V8 Platforms - Model Year 2000-2004

System Overview

Direct Port Sequential Fuel Injected Natural Gas and Propane Kits

These kits mimic the OEM system as closely as possible for optimal performance and reliability

No loss of power or fuel mileage

Computer can control up to 10 separate injectors

LCD switch with built in diagnostics port, for monitoring system functions and calibration via modem or laptop

Dash mounted LCD button with graphics capability to handle fuel selection, on the fly switching between fuels, and alternative fuel level display

Each alternative fuel injector is controlled by a dedicated 2 MIP's processor which communicates with the main 16 bit Motorola processor operating at 16MHZ.

Model 2WD/4WD Engine Cab
C/ K 2500 6.0L V8
*Chev Silverado 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs
*GMC Sierra 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs

C/ K 3500 6.0L V8
*Chev Silverado 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs
*GMC Sierra 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs

SAVANA / EXPRESS 2500 PASSENGER 6.0L V8
*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L
*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 PASSENGER 6.0L V8
*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L
*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 EXT PASSENGER 6.0L V8
*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L
*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 CARGO 6.0L V8
*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L
*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 EXT PASSENGER 6.0L V8
*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L
*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS CUTAWAY 6.0L V8
*Chev Express 2WD 6.0L
*GMC Savana 2WD 6.0L

* Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Certified

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM 8.1 Medium Duty
Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) Platforms

BI Fuel LPG

Available for the GM 8.1 Liter Platforms - Model Year 2000-2005

System Overview

Direct Port Sequential Fuel Injected Natural Gas and Propane Kits

These kits mimic the OEM system as closely as possible for optimal performance and reliability

No loss of power or fuel mileage

Computer can control up to 10 separate injectors

LCD switch with built in diagnostics port, for monitoring system functions and calibration via modem or laptop

Dash mounted LCD button with graphics capability to handle fuel selection, on the fly switching between fuels, and alternative fuel level display

Each alternative fuel injector is controlled by a dedicated 2 MIP's processor which communicates with the main 16 bit Motorola processor operating at 16MHZ.

Models
C2500 HD Silverado
C2500 HD Sierra
C3500 Cab & Chassis
C4500 Topkick/Kodiak
C5500 Topkick/Kodiak
C6500 Topkick/Kodiak
C7500 Topkick/Kodiak
Workhorse Chassis
2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#10 reem

reem

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I am just looking into it and wanted to get all the info I could on it. I keep hearing natural gas is gonna raise like 60% in cost so that makes me wander if lp will raise also. I can get lp for 1.40 now and 87 octane is 2.79.

#11 willieboy

willieboy

Enthusiast

• 245 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

Where are you finding propane for 1.05/gallon? Locally it is around 2.87/gallon. Two 5 gallon tanks (really 4.5 gallons due to OPD) cost me almost 30 dollars to fill.
2002 Burb LS...Bone Stock!!

#12 dewfpo

dewfpo

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,777 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:53 PM

2 weeks ago, propane here was $3.00/gallon at the True Value Hardware store in town. Could probably find it a littlce cheaper elsewere.

DEWFPO
2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#13 Haulin' 8.1

Haulin' 8.1

Enthusiast

• 670 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

I'll look into it, maybe the tanks are smaller than he said. I'm no expert on this stuff, a little knowledge can be worse than none.
Vernon

I will fear no turbo;

#14 Howard Quick

Howard Quick

Enthusiast

• 53 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:47 AM

Hi All,
sorry this is late.
Here in Australia many cars run 'duel fuel', meaning Petrol and LPG.
You can actually order alot of cars from the factory as a dedicated LPG only vehicle.
Alot of Suburban here run on LPG. So far I've resisted converting mine, but it's tempting. LPG here is around AUD40c per litre whilst Petrol is AUD$1.30 per litre.
Conversions usually run around AUD$2500.00. That's about USD$1800.00.
I converted my last car myself (you're 'supposed' to have a licence) after buying a secondhand kit from a wrecker.
Cost me AUD$500.00 to convert a 5 litre V8. It was pretty easy!