From Jaski:

Changes to "The Chase" in 2006? There may well be a new rule on points for next year's championship chase, according to sources who say that NASCAR is considering a separate points system for the 10 leading drivers. Under that this season, Kurt Busch would not have lost as many points for his Loudon crash - Busch was credited with 41st-place points at Loudon, but under the proposed system he would have been credited with 10th place points, and would still be in the hunt. Of course, under such a new system, the worst finish a playoff driver would be credited with each weekend would be 10th - 134 points, losing at most 56 points to the tour leader. At Loudon, Busch finished 35th and got 58 points.(Winston Salem Journal)(9-26-2005)

I hope this does not happen. I really like the Chase - let's face it, it does allow more drivers a chance at the championship than the old way. But I like it like it is, awarding 10th place points to a car that finishes 43 in a race is just stupid. The only good thinig about it is that you might not have slower cars out there running after they get wrecked, but they do that all year and it works OK. Man I hope they just leave it alone.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this. Why don't they just pick their champion at the beginning? If they are going to keep changing the rules to get the outcome they want, just pick your winner and let's race. A driver spends 26 races distancing himself from the competition to get kicked in the nads with 10 to go. Oh don't get me started. I'll stop cause this could go on forever.

At least Dale and richard's record will always stand . 7 forever

I agree, my opinion is when Nascar started the chase they ruined it, the old scoring system worked for years and there was nothing wrong with it.

I agree...I liked it the old way, that's the way I grew up watching it. I understand what they're trying to do, supposedly make it more exciting and give it sort of a "playoff"...or "raceoff"...but it just doesn't work for me :chevy:

Yep,I agree with the last three guys,I liked it the old way,The hell with this "chase" crap,Like facn8me said,I hate the idea that a guy runs his butt off for the first 26 races and then loses all of it for the last 10,Who the hell came up with that idea? :cheers::chevy::cheers:

And that idea you posted Elwood from Jaski's is just plain stupid :D What would be even more stupid is if they would just let only the top ten guys from the first 26 races run in the last 10 races,Just wait that'll be next!!! :D

Like facn8me said,DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!! :D

the whole chase is crap, the real champions won winston cups, nascar as a whole is going right down the toilet in a hurry, mike helton thinks he is god. as soon as the jap cars hit the track i will be done with it for good, just as i already am with the truck series.

Well, I grew up watching NASCAR too, and I didn't like the idea of the chase at first. But after I've seen the product, I like it. It does make it more exciting at the end, it allows fans to get more excited at the end because there is more at stake. I've been a fan for a while and I love the sport, but every fall I turned the channel to the NFL on Sunday and just watched the race on commercials, if then. Now that doesn't happen (unless or course the Raiders are playing).

As for the changes suggested on Jaski.com...as I said before I hope that does not happen, because I agree with you guys on that - it stupid.

However, the Chase as it stands now I like much better than i ever thought that I would. If a driver shows the consistency than won championships in the past, they can still win the championship now. This just does not allow them to coast through the end of a season like some have in the pst - they have to remain consistent all the way to the end. And this also allows for those guys who have those late season runs and end up falling short by very few points, but probably would've ended up winning it if there had been a few more races a chance now too.

Either way, I hope that don't make those changes, I hope this is one of those times that Jaski.com got some misinformation.

Being a NASCAR Fan for over 30 years, I do not agree with the current format enacted when Winston was run out by our Liber...I can't use that word so I will say "Non Conservative" lawyers. Once the new sponsor, Nextel, took over I have had a hard time watching it. I understand NASCAR is chasing a new fan base, but where will the fans be in 10 years. We have lost great tracks that have built NASCAR for more diverse locations with cookie cutter tracks. I know some will say that they are not, but every new track is over 1 mile and most are tri ovals. What happened to short tracks. Oh, they do not hold 100K fans...look at Bristol, it does.

I do not like the chase as it only rewards the top 10 drivers one third of the way through the season. That is like saying the only temas that can be in the playoffs for the world series are the ones who are in the lead at 100 games. Look at history, alot of teams come on strong in September. Look at racing. I remember when Mark Martin went down to the last race and lost the championship by single points. What about the late great Alan Kulwicki's win, wasn't that at the last race. Yes, lately there have been blowouts with certain drivers, but that rewards consistency as it was designed.

I think NASCAR bows to certain teams too much, wants cookie cutter racing and is driven by the almighty dollar from TV.

I like the old days with ESPN, Tobacco Companies on cars, fights in the pits, NO Restrictor plates, and Ned Jarrret announcing the race.

:rolleyes:

Thing is Mark Martin is right, the fans need to voice their distaste for what is happening for NASCAR to make a change. I know I referenced Martin twice but I am not a martin fan, give me the Intimidator. :cheers::eek:

I agree that the new tracks all are pretty much the same, and I hate to see the old tracks go. ANd yes they could expand the stands to make them hold however many they want. The problem is they couldn't sell out the stand they had at most of them. If the fans want those tracks to stay - then go to those racfes and sell them out each time.

As for the chamiponship...I remember when Mark Martin went down to the last race and Alan Kulwicki's win. And with the new format you can see these things more often - possibly every year. And all the times these guys had great late season runs at the championship, they were already in the Top 10.

I wish they would keep the old tracks, even bring back North Wilkesboro (one of my favs). They could just have one race at each track rather than two and they could sill use the new tracks and new markets. But I won't complain about the chase, because I didn't think I would like it when they came up with it, but now that I've seen it I think it works fine.

I watch nascar every weekend and I enjoy the new chase format. There are 2 things that I would like to see tweaked in the points system. I would like to see awarding 35th-43rd the same amount of points and bumping the winners points up to be about 15-25 points. Both ideas have been mentioned on some of the broadcasts. This would help keep some of the slower and beat up race cars from being out there and causing debris cautions and running around 50 laps down. This would also help give some guys more incentive for racing for the win instead of settling for a 3rd place finish because the few points aren't worth the risk.

Just my .02. I don't completely agree with Nascar all the time but overall they are doing a good job.

Another gripe I have is I want less commercials. I want to see every green flag restart on TV. Don't bring us back after they have run 1-2 laps. The first few laps after a restart are the best. I don't remeber which race it was but there was a race a couple weeks back that they missed almost all of the restarts and they would bring us back after a couple laps have been run. I know they need the sponsorship $$ but they need to find a better way to do it.

Archived